“Amazing”

Speakeasy Ales & Lagers
Ranked #237 of 705 things to do in San Francisco
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Legit since 1997, Speakeasy Ales & Lagers is a San Francisco craft brewery bringing great beer from the underground to the masses. The Speakeasy Tap Room features twelve rotating taps of fresh beer, available in tasting flights, pints, bottles, cans, and growlers to-go.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 5 April 2015 via mobile

Staff totally knows craft beer. The on tap selection is diverse and high quality. If you love beer this craft micro is worth a visit. Bartenders Sochi and Katie were indulgent with their time and expertise. Wish I could give this brewery 6 stars.

Reviewed 25 March 2015 via mobile

What a great place to come. Can't recommend highly enough. All the beers are delicious and having the option for small tasting glasses allows you to try them all. Great atmosphere and love the old school themes. The staff went out of their way to ensure I enjoyed myself. They were fantastic. Knowledgeable about the beer and really friendly. Wish I could come more often!

Reviewed 26 February 2015 via mobile

Wonderful brews! All named after something to do with the gangster syndicate /prohibition era. This is a must find when in the bay area. The "joint" is located in what is a very industrial area of the city. You could miss it if you didn't have a person "In the know " with you. The joint was dark dimly lit and had a cozy feeling and the bartenders were friendly. I was waiting for some old time mobster and his group to walk in and take the place over. Have I mentioned its all about the ambiance of the place? And its housed in a warehouse. I had two beers that are called the "usual suspects " Payback Porter that was surprisingly one of the best with a slight hint of chocolate and I'm not a fan of porters. I also had The Double Daddy an Imperial IPA, triple hoppy but surprisingly easy to drink and not too hard on the palate . It's really too bad that the Speakeasy brand isn't available where I live. But then that gives me a very good reason to go back to the Speakeasy when I'm in San Francisco again.

Reviewed 21 January 2015

The San Francisco Brewery Tour...STOP #1

The owner, Mr. Blackcat, was kind of a punk and did a swell job of ignoring me and my bros...but his staff was nice enough. Yeah Mr. Blackcat...go crawl back into the hold you came out of!

Being MLK weekend, I started off with the four black beers: Porter, Milk Stout, Imperial Stout, and I think a Black IPA? Am I drunk already? They were all tasty, though all kind of tasted the same? Also tried something called "Unbroken" and some of their Belgians...IT TASTES SO GOOD WHEN IT HITS YOUR LIPS! I'll stop shouting...I'm only about 20oz of beer in so far...

Go home Chun...you're drunk!

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 December 2014

My first visit, I am a San Francisco native, grew up as a teenager in the exact area, Bayview, as a teen making $2.00 hour. I am now 55, still supporting all local businesses and passing the word along, even though I no longer live in the city!
I had a thought to check out Speakeasy on my way home tonight, ordered every single offering on their posted beer menu, mostly 4oz. serving as I still had to get myself home.
Fast forward 2 hours or so, I engage discussion about current events, protests in the streets about the gentleman choke-hold arrested in NY.
It was a lively discussion, no more.
Xochitl, one of two bartenders informed us that it was too livevly.
We acknowledged and I continued my beer tasting. Carlos, the person next to me and I finalized our discussion and came to a brotherly love and handshake conclusion.
Well, the lady bartender did not like my opinions and decided to 86 me and handed me my credit card and suggested I was done with my beer drinking for the night, NO CHARGE!!
I was objectedly defined for the night and proceeded to finish my final 12oz.
I'm not a drunk, antagonist or whatever you may think, just a customer supporting any local proprietors, and shunned because a young bartender cannot deal with reality.
I do not appreciate the disrespect and attitude from a inexperienced bartender without the wisdom and intellect to discern an adult discussion on current events.
Speakeasy loses many potential clients and future relationships because of one person's ideals.
I say fine, you didn't like what you heard, I don't like what I see on the news either, but don't condemn me for having a voice.
I do not condone violence from supposedly "protestors" against guardians of peace.