“Go for the popovers and the fried chicken”
Review of Wayfare Tavern

Wayfare Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Wayfare Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #190 of 6,299 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Financial District
Cross street: Montgomery & Sansome
Transit: Muni: Clay & Montgomery stops; Sansome & Sacramento stops. Cable car stops one block away on California Street.
Description: A Tyler Florence restaurant.
Reviewed 4 July 2018

The Wayfare Tavern feels like an old-style British lodge with a deer head above a fireplace, dark leather chairs and dark wooden tables.

We tried the popovers, the beef tartare the fried chicken, the polenta fries and the doughnuts. The popovers were delicious. The fried chicken was perfectly executed. The beef tartare was fantastic. The polenta fries and the doughnuts were not memorable.

Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

This place is really nice in terms of localization and decoration. Despite the quite long waiting between the appetizer and the main course the service was really professional and food was excellent. We had the fried chicken and the trout. We would definitely recommend this place for a cozy dinner !

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

They recommend the fried chicken and I agree. Happening little spot in the financial district. Short walk from Chinatown. Cool vibe excellent service.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

I have been trying to get into this restaurant for a couple of years ever since I heard Tyler Florence had open up a tavern in SF.

I can’t tell you how disappointing this dinner was. We had oysters for a table share which were fine however the mingonette was overly sweet. Next we each had an appetizer. My wife had the burratta toast but we couldn’t find any cheese on there at all. One person at the table had the roasted calamari which was tough and rubbery. Myself and another diner had the bone marrow. It was covered with pork belly and some sort of crumble. Again little To no marrow was found. The toast they served with it was done very well

The calamari was so bad that we complained and they offered to take it off the bill. When the bill arrived it was still in there after reminding them it was taken off.

For dinner my wife had the sole special. What arrived was an over cooked whole fried sole. No offer was made to filet it so I had to do it for her. Sole, which should be a beautiful flaky white fish was dried out tasted burnt. One diner had the clams and it was so so not a whole lot of flavor. Myself and the other diner had the fried chicken supposedly one of the best fried chickens in the country. Both of our chicken was soggy, no crisp what so ever and very little flavor.

Not once did a manager come to our table to ask how everything was in fact management seemed very disinterested in how the food was going out and wether the patrons were happy

We paid $440 dollars for a dinner that was something I wouldn’t have paid more than $20 for. Tyler Florence should take some time to see what is being served with his named attached to it

I don’t recommend the restaurant and I can’t tell you how much of a let down this was

1  Thank bfingles
Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

My husband and I went to try the popovers but then enjoyed so much more! The deviled eggs are rich and delicious; ask for a half order with just three pieces instead of six. The Burrata Toast is so delicious and could make an entree if you want. We then split an order of the fried chicken and Mac n cheese... so sinfully good. The salads looked great too as did the shrimp cocktail, the burger and the muscles. Definitely make reservations. It was great.