Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
Free cancellation until 01/05/21
Hotels.comUS$155
Expedia.comUS$155
Agoda.comUS$160
All reviews standard courtyard window seat walk in shower front desk staff comfortable bed minute walk homeless people great hotel closet gym lobby city elevator
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 July 2020

We were sound asleep at 4am and someone opened the door and entered the room. I believe it was a housekeeper but am not positive. I called the front desk and they said they had been notified and were sorry.
At checkout the next day I had mentioned it and they said they would get back to me. They never did...
I sent an email and they sent me an automated response and offered 2,000 bonus points. That is a laughable number of points for being disturbed at 4am when you have work the next day. I did not feel safe in that room at all and they did not rectify the situation. I am still very disappointed. I expected more from Marriott.

Date of stay: July 2020
2  Thank hunterrheaume
Reviewed 5 June 2020

I traveled with a family member so they could have a surgery at the Sutter hospital across the street from the hotel. The hotel staff were courteous and went the extra mile while I was waiting for my family member. Everyone was very nice and understanding that it was not a fun trip to be on. There were guidelines for staff and guests to stay safe, taking precautions during the COVID-19 pandemic, and I felt very well cared for. Some of the amenities were closed and the hotel was not busy, but the staff were well aware of guest's feelings and took extra care to make people feel welcome.

Date of stay: June 2020
4  Thank erinmX5839FP
Rosie Fonua, Other at Courtyard By Marriott San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave., responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2021

Dear erinmX5839FP,

On behalf of the entire hotel team, we want to thank you for sharing your most memorable experiences with us during your recent stay at the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave..

Please note your feedback has been shared with the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver great experiences. Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We also recognize these are unusual times and we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed 10 May 2020

Reggie at the front desk is my hero. He completely took a terrible situation and saved the day for my daughter who got stuck in San Fran. Not being in the city to make sure she was safe and taken care of, had left me very frazzled. He took care of all of her needs and made her feel safe. She FaceTimed her room and it is very nice and updated. She was very happy that the hotel parking felt very secure. Life platinum elite member who is over the moon about the service I received today. Big thanks!

Room tip: May want to call ahead of visit if you are driving. Simple instructions for parking will save some frustration.
Date of stay: May 2020
2  Thank kws702017
RosieF-CourtyardFOM, Front Office Manager at Courtyard By Marriott San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave., responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2020

Dear kws702017,

Please note your feedback has been shared with Reggie and the hotel team as a critical way of understanding how we can continue to deliver great experiences. Thank you for staying at the Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave. and we hope you choose to create more memories here whenever your travels bring you back to San Francisco.

Reviewed 29 February 2020 via mobile

Great location and felt pretty fresh when we visited, maybe it hasn’t long been revamped? New York style rooms in terms of size, they are quite small but luckily there was a nice long window seat where we could put our luggage. Bathroom was tiny but probably in proportion to the room.

A few negative points... There’s no bar or restaurant in the hotel however there is access through to the excellent Mel’s Kitchen (Diner) and you get a 10% discount off food as you stay in the hotel. The rooms are noisy both from street noise and from the other guests, you can hear doors opening, people walking and whatever else and that’s even over my snoring so it must’ve been bad. Also, I did get woken up be the smell of cannabis (legal in San Fran) coming from one of the surrounding rooms so suspect that the ventilation isn’t that great.

One general point, although fairly priced the additional charges and taxes kill you whether it’s for parking, tourist tax, city tax. The hotel rate was essentially doubled by the time we left. Again, not directly related to the hotel but some thing to be aware of.

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greyo
Reviewed 12 February 2020

I can't agree that the staff isn't helpful and polite.

Pro:
Refurbished design
Very nice lobby/lounge
Good gym

Con:
Location, full of junkies (I am 1,91 with a martial arts background) However, this is a no-go area!
No bar onsite, a dinner, closing at 11PM isn't a replacement
Huge construction/noise in front of door
You need to take your credit card with you - no connection between Mel's dinner and hotel

Date of stay: February 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank TravelerLux007
RosieF-CourtyardFOM, Manager at Courtyard By Marriott San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave., responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2020

Dear TravelerLux007,

Thank you so much for providing your honest feedback about your recent experience at our property.

As a Courtyard by Marriott property, we fall under the limited service category which is why we do not have some of the amenities that a full service property offers. This is however not an excuse for the unsatisfactory service that you experienced.

Upholding our commitment to guest service excellence, we hope to provide you an increased level of service in the future.​