“Interesting, educational and plenty of fine chocolate” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
The Original San Francisco Gourmet Chocolate Tour
Ranked #12 of 100 Food & Drink in San Francisco
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun gourmet walking tours in San Francisco and Wine Country.
Essex, UK
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Interesting, educational and plenty of fine chocolate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2011

We expected to sample some fine chocolate on this tour, what we didn't expect was the amount of information on chocolate manufacture. I had no idea about child slavery in mainstream chocolate production, or the work being done by many organisations to combat it. The educational parts really elevated it above a simple tasting tour.
Not that there was anything lacking in the tastings. Our seven stops took in the more mainstream like Ghiradelli, but also included chocolatiers and chocolate makers with many samples. There was no pressure to buy anything , but time allowed if you wanted to. My favourite was probably the blue cheese chocolate truffle at the last stop. Sounds disgusting, tasted amazing.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank paulhuntterry

Virginia, USA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun for a foodie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

I took the gourmet San Francisco walk in Hayes Valley and it was a lot of fun. This walk takes you to a neighborhood that the average tourist doesn't see and I really enjoyed that. Our guide was very knowledgeable and they were not stingy with the tastes. We started out with ice cream where they make the ice cream when you order it freezing it with liquid nitrogen. We then proceeded to a half a dozen more places all within a couple block radius. We went to a butcher and tried at least 5 different types of charcuterie. We sat down for Belgian style frites and dipping sauces. We tasted tea and learned about the chinese tea ceremony. We had wine and sampled cheeses. And we finished the afternoon with two desserts ... beautiful and delicious chocolates at Christopher Elbow followed by a visit to a sweet shop for French macarons. I really like food tours and I thought this one was a good one.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank Stockholm28
redding, ca
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best day of our Napa trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Even better than the wineries. Our tour was yummy, interesting & informative. Our guide, Marie, was incredibly pleasant. Every participating business was very kind. Even though the weather was cloudy & rainy, it didn't spoil the tour. We are looking forward to trying taking a tour in the San Fran area.

Visited November 2011
San Juan
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Very good....except for this one little thing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

I took this tour early in my first trip to San Fran. As a foodie & a food tour freak I have some feedback:

PROs: VERY informative guide who is an expert in chocolate. She knows it's history inside & out and shares this in a digestible way. She was kind & courteous.

The stops were plentiful--I couldn't eat all the samples given bc it was so much so I had a goodie bag to take home. They also provide a discount card so as you tour you can buy additional yummy chocolate w a discount for future gifts.

There were good bits of city history here & there, although I think a little more wouldn't have hurt.

CON: my only beef with the tour was the ending when the guide said she would appreciate tips. I gave her one & was planning on doing so prior to her comment but I felt she made this VERY awkward for myself & the other guests & put us in an uncomfortable situation.

The classy way around this would have been to mention at the beginning of the tour that tips aren't included in the ticket price, but are greatly appreciated.

Other than that rough ending I thought the experience was lovely.

3 Thank FlavorsOfSanJuan
Calgary, Canada
“Guaranteed to satify your chocolate craving and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Being a self-proclaimed chocaholic. I was super excited for the 3 hour chocolate tour. Our guide was really knowledgable and you could tell she was really passionate about her job and..CHOCOLATE :) A great way to spend the day. We got to try so many delicious samples and I had plenty of leftovers when we were done. Come prepared with a serious sweet tooth.

Visited October 2011