Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
AscendUS$1,163
FindHotelUS$1,409
getaroom.comUS$1,168
Trip.comUS$1,409
TripadvisorUS$1,163
ZenHotels.com
All reviews tenderloin nicely decorated with modern boutique hotel bus stop never felt unsafe noise from the street rooms are comfortable union square neighborhood sf
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 November 2019

Once you get inside this hotel it is comfortable.The reception staff are very friendly and answered all our questions.Our room on the 3rd floor was quiet and clean. the bathroom was fine with fluffy white towels and products.The shower did need a bit of a tweak to get it to work though.Beds were mega comfortable.
Breakfast was basic but adequate.
So, the hotel is situated unfortunately where loads of homeless people congregate.I have to say that we walked down to Union Square and back several times and nobody bothered us at all.It was reassuring to see police cars parked at various junctions.We always came back to the hotel in daylight or if later in an Uber.
Personally, I would stay at this hotel again as it was value for money in a very expensive SanFrancisco

Room tip: Ask for a room away from the street
Date of stay: October 2019
1  Thank Lauren S
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at HTL 587, An Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2019

Hi Lauren, We're happy that you found our hotel a suitable place to meet you needs, and that you enjoyed your clean, comfortable room. We are glad that our staff were their usual helpful selves, and trust that you had a good nights sleep. We are very pleased to hear that you appreciated the terrific value that we provide in San Francisco, and that the location of our property suited you. We hope that you will return to stay with us when you are next in the city. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Reviewed 18 September 2019 via mobile

The rooms are comfortable! They have nice beds, good bathrooms, a coffee machine. The only downside to my room was that the bath thub plug is missing. Also you hear easily noises coming from other rooms or floors, for example a running shower.

Breakfast is very limited

Using the BART train station nearby (CIVIC center) it’s easy to go to many locations in the city.

Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Frankt2508
Reviewed 16 September 2019 via mobile

This hotel is in the middle of the most sketchy part of the whole city. Avoid at all costs. Lots of open drug use, used needles, screaming, shouting and sirens.

The walk to the BART station is awful so you have to take taxis when arriving or leaving (at any time of day or night).

Inside it’s alright. And breakfast is ok, hostel style. Staff OK but not particularly accommodating.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank ptownp
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at HTL 587, An Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2019

Thank you very much for your review, we are always interested to understand our guest's perceptions of their stays with us. Whilst there is evidence of homelessness in this general area, this is visible throughout the city, and many of our guests enjoy our central location, and proximity to so many of the city's wonderful attractions. It is a shame that it didn't appeal to you more on this visit, but we are looking forward to the improvements that the city authorities are planning for the homeless people throughout the city. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again and experience these improvements when you return to the city.

Reviewed 13 September 2019 via mobile

I think this was the best staffed boutique hotel I've ever stayed in. Everyone was courteous, knowledgeable and extremely attentive. I was here for 5 days and received consistent service at every turn.

If you are not familiar with this area (Tenderloin) it might be overwhelming or scary, but the hotel makes it incredibly clear that it is located in this area! I still don't understand why people are so outraged. Hotel 587 calls itself a "Tenderloin Hotel." It is the responsibility of us, as visitors, to know what area we are booking in!

The hotel itself was spotless and nicely decorated with modern finishes. It had some thoughtful amenities like breakfast, coffee and an upscale vending machine with vegan and organic meal options. Again - What made this place so special was the staff - kind, courteous and each person went above and beyond to make my stay wonderful. For the price, convenience and hospitality - I can only give this hotel a glowing review!

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank mercybe
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at HTL 587, An Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2019

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel, and thank you for your gracious comments. We much appreciate the kind compliments, especially about the service you received during your visit. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed, glowing review, we value you as our esteemed patron and look forward to seeing you again when you return to San Francisco.

Reviewed 8 September 2019

I made a huge mistake by not checking a map before I booked this hotel. The site said that it was near Union Square (which is true), so I booked it for 2 nights. As I walked from the BART station to the hotel, my heart sank when I realized my mistake. It's surrounded by homeless people who can be very intimidating. As I walked to Union Square in the afternoon, a man got about 3 feet from me and threatened to slap me. This morning when I tried to get an Uber, the first driver cancelled and the second admitted that he was nervous about the call because he was worried that a homeless person had gotten hold of a cell phone and called Uber.

The hotel itself has been tastefully remodeled and the staff is friendly, which is why I gave it 2 stars. The original elevator with a door and gate was off putting, as was the fact that the rooms are not air conditioned and the street noise is very loud with the windows open.

I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised to see that the street is very well lit after dark, so I wasn't as nervous about taking an Uber back to my hotel on the second night.

I'm very comfortable in urban settings, and I felt very unsafe at this hotel.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Amy F
GuestXperienceTeam, Guest Relations Manager at HTL 587, An Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2019

Hi Amy Lou, Thank you kindly for choosing to stay with us recently; we very much appreciate it. We are very pleased to know that our property appealed to you, and that you found our staff to be friendly. We are sorry that the location of our property did not particularly appeal to you, but, despite the homelessness that is visible, it does offer many advantages as a base in this area, and, as you mention, it is very well-lit at night. There are plans to improve the plight of the homeless people in the city, and we look forward to the improvements that this will make to our neighborhood. We hope that you will consider staying with us again when you return to San Francisco to see these improvements for yourself, we would love to welcome you back.