“Great food worth waiting for.”

Brenda's French Soul Food
Ranked #54 of 6,311 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We went for breakfast and really lucked out as we did not have to wait long. But the line sure got long after we sat down no wonder as this place is great.
Good coffee served in large mugs, so they don’t have to be filled every 15 seconds. Wife had the Crispy pork belly on cheese grits. This was very good, creamy and tasty. I had the andouille omelet. Comes with hash potatoes and a cream biscuit. All very good but the biscuit was well ……..over the top great. I don’t think I have had a biscuit as light as this was. Just perfect with their strawberry jam on the table.
Portions are big so come hungry. We did not try the beignets but the table next to us had them and they looked and they devoured them.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Decided to try this restaurant based on the high Trip advisor reviews. We arrived at 8:30 am. There was a line down the sidewalk. The wait for (2) was approximately 45 minutes. When you get there, be sure to walk inside and put your name on the chalkboard which is located to the left of the door. This is what the restaurant employees use as a guide to call your name when there is available seating. The food was good and somewhat unique. It was worth trying at least once. I don't know that I would return a second time and wait in line again.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

On vacation in San Francisco, we tried ths place last week. Service was good. The place is a bit crowded and loud. Food came out in a reasonable time and was hot. The beignets were overcooked. Medium dark brown exterior. Their consistency was a bit heavy. I have eaten beignets in New Orleans many times when I lived in New Orleans. I should have known better than to order them in San Francisco. If you have never had New Orleans beignets, you will probably like the ones at Brenda's.
Then there was the pork belly, poached egg, and cheese grits. It was served in a presentation like ramen, which was a cute idea. The egg was good. The cheese was on top (not blended into the grits), making it hard to manage the long strands of melted cheese stretching from bowl to mouth. The pork belly was overcooked sadly, making it hard and dry. The grits were too soupy and watery, instead of creamy amd firmer. It was not a bad meal overall, but it is not auhentic to the part of the U.S where these foods are common.
Nice decor and kind service.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Everything was exceptional. We were seated promptly and ordered a beignet to try. It came out quickly and it was warm and delicious with a touch of sweetness. We then ordered the French toast for myself with the butter pecan spread and an omelette for my husband. We were shocked at how fast it came out, we hadn’t even finished splitting the beignet yet! And we were still pleasantly surprised with our food. The omelette my husband had was outstanding, the potato hash was alright, nothing spectacular, but the biscuit was moist and tasted homemade. My French toast on the other hand was a solid good. It wouldn’t have been anything special if it weren’t for the butter pecan syrup which was awesome! A few different waitresses helped us and were extremely attentive. For sure lived up to the hype!

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Brenda's French Soul Food is a delight! The Beignets are reason alone to venture there - great food, fantastic service, vibrant atmosphere!