“The Most Amazing Shrimp & Grits”

Brenda's French Soul Food
Ranked #54 of 6,311 Restaurants in San Francisco
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, French
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 6 April 2017 via mobile

I visited Brenda's with a friend on a Saturday afternoon and waited well over an hour to be seated. The wait was well worth it and we passed the time next door at a small cafe associated with Brenda's, where we shared a bacon biscuit with pimento cheese spread & and a blueberry biscuit with fruit spread, both so darn delicious. My friend and I finally got called to be seated at the bar, which was uncomfortable, as I hate to eat at a bar. However, we sat and forgot all about the bar when our order of Shrimp n Grits came out. We both agreed it was the best bowl of Grits we've had, hands down. Creamy grits, shrimp that melted in your mouth and the most delicious, sweet tomatoes that added another burst of flavor. Needless to say, we could not stop talking about the grits all weekend. Go get these Grits!!

Date of visit: April 2017

Reviewed 6 April 2017

New Orleans style food at San Francisco style prices. They serve breakfast until 3P. Nice menu with vegetarian and vegan options. Write your name on the chalk board to get on the wait list. The food is excellent and the service is pretty good. If you are in a hurry, it is quite crowded. I liked the veggie omelet. Will try the vegan Josephine next time. With the density of good places to eat, I am not sure it is worth the wait. Near the Asian Art Museum.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 5 April 2017

My spouse and I went for a late lunch on a Friday. We had to wait, but not too long, and well worth it. Love the funky room, the posters, the vibe! And the food, well, you probably already know from other reviews. The crawfish beignets were divine, although I wish you could order them individually, since splitting three set us well on the way to satiation. But not yet! I had a cup of chicken and sausage gumbo that tasted like the real thing. Same for my spouse's shrimp etouffée. Both very flavourful, but with room for some of that Crystal hot sauce at the table. We then split an oyster po' boy. The oysters were flavourful and crunchy, and with the sauce and veg and the chewy bread sent us to sandwich heaven. Stuffed! And yet wanting more, but another time. Gorgeous looking fried chicken, red beans and rice, much more. And brunch food!

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

The food here is to die for. Love the biscuits with the fresh pepper jam! The pancakes are so thick and fluffy they are like pillows and the beignets are perfection on a plate!

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Wow!!! First, a big thank you to TA phone app and fellow reviewers for their recommendations. What a find in a section of SFO that one wouldn't expect to find such a wonderful place. We had an early lunch at Brenda's and the place was jammed packed at 11:30a.m!!!! Now as far as the food goes...here we go:
The catfish Po' Boy was 10 out of 10.
The oyster Po' Boy was 15 our of 10...oh yes!!
The Southern Fried Chicken and fries was 20 out of 10.
And last but not least, the Beignets, specially the Chocolate one...out of this world

Great Service, fast and not fussy. The whole experience was just great.

Date of visit: March 2017