“old world elegance”

The Scarlet Huntington
Ranked #10 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Have you ever wanted to experience old world elegance - perhaps live in such luxury if only for a few days? I didn't know how much I wanted that very thing until I experienced that during my stay at The Huntington Hotel.

After scouring reviews and myriad sites for the best hotel at the best price, I found this gem at the top of Nob Hill. My business trip turned out to be the most inspired trip ever thanks to this hotel. The staff was incredibly gracious - every greeting felt very genuine. Upon check-in, I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite on the top floor. The staff even delivered tea to my room approximately 5 minutes after dropping off my bag.

I am a very simple traveler (both personally and professionally), but I very much enjoyed the hospitality of the staff, the maintenance of the hotel, and the location (on cable car line, steps from Grace Cathedral, across the street from a park). This hotel used to be an apartment building, so the rooms (or suite in my case), are amazingly large and evoke the style of a different age. I was kicking myself with glee when I returned from my meetings each day - I was very sad to leave.

Though I didn't go into the spa's soaking pool, I did stop in to see the best pool in San Fran - it really is beautiful. Bring your bathing suit!

I have included a few pictures to give you the flavor of my experience (though there are already some great pics from fellow travelers). This isn't a new hotel and it doesn't necessarily offer the same bells and whistles as some of the chain hotels (in-room coffee and tea service, for instance). However, I think this hotel offers something better - a romantic feel from a time gone by, service that never feels forced from staff members who are prepared to help you make the most of your trip, and a rejuvenating oasis from the goings-on of the day.

I will be reflecting on this experience for months and recommend this hotel without reservation.

Room Tip: Ask the staff if a free upgrade is available - higher floors give you the most amazing view of the c...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed 21 November 2012

A blend of old school and modern Elegance and Luxury on one of SF's best neighborhoods.

The moment you enter the Huntington Hotel, you wonder why you want to ever leave. We were lucky enough to have a fantastic and gorgeous high floor suite. I have heard that the hotel has had recent renovations, and clearly this room has been part of it, as everything in the room seemed fresh and new. The suite has an old world elegance, with soaring ceilings, stunning crown molding, and period furniture that represents the time when the hotel was built in the 20's.

The level of attention to detail in design, style and refinement is very high. Even the closets ( yes, two closets) were elegant and well designed. The bathroom, which had a a separate room for the shower/bath combo and the sinks reminded me of an elegant time gone by. Cleanliness is no even an issue as all of the surfaces seemed polished to perfection. Even the bathroom figures were high end and well matched to the decor. Complimentary bath products were French L' Occitane. As an example of the level of detail given to design, the grab bars in the bath area had a rubberized grip on the interior side. A great touch and something I had not seen before. The bed was comfortable and luxurious, with a generous number of pillows and a comfortable blanket, which is expected at this price range.

As for drawbacks, there were really few. The lobby is refined, but small, without the soaring grandeur of neighboring hotels. But this hotel was once an apartment complex when first built, so a soaring lobby would not fix with its character. There is an old school restaurant, open only for dinner during our stay. Lots of dark wood paneling and thick heavy furnishings. Not exactly my style. Plan on heading to any one of many fantastic restaurants in the immediate area.

Staff was courteous and friendly. They seem to have been with the hotel for a long time and know the area well.

The location of the hotel is superb, on top of Nob hill and less than a 5 minute walk from great shopping and parks. Very safe neighborhood.

Two Thumbs up.
Five Stars.
Tom says: Check it out!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
Reviewed 21 November 2012

As I'm starting to visit San Francisco more frequently I've been testing out the hotels in the Nob Hill area. During my last visit in March 2012 I stayed at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins (see my separate review for that hotel) and when I returned in Oct 2012 I decided to stay at the Huntington Hotel.

We absolutely loved our stay – the whole package was brilliant. Being able to compare to the Mark Hopkins I can say that the personal touches at the Huntington are what sets this hotel apart from the rest.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the happiest door man we’ve ever met – Jason. Not only is Jason positive and exceptionally helpful he’s also rather good looking which is always nice for the eyes. I had emailed in advance requesting a twin room as I would be travelling with my Maid of Honour (we’re wedding venue scouting) and we liked how the hotel had made the effort to get to know our details – the staff new my best friend was my MoH and we liked this personal touch – as requested we got our twin room too.

Our room was lovely: nice views of the city and the bay, Beds very comfortable, Great shower in the bathroom, sweet little card messages for our pillows, iPod docking station…etc. When we managed to blow one of the fuses as we’d plugged in too many hairdryers the maintenance man was exceptionally prompt and resolved the situation within 10 minutes allowing us to keep getting ready for our girls night out.

We had dinner one evening at the Hotel. I wasn’t particularly hungry so I had a starter and my MoH has a main course. The food was great and we had an awesome waitress. She made the whole dining experience really enjoyable as the dining areas atmosphere had a very old feel – it felt like apart from us the youngest people dining were in their mid-sixties.

So overall, excellent stay. Highly recommended for business, romantic trips, city breaks with friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed at the Huntington for 3 nights this month. I had read many reviews and had seen some mixed responses. But we really enjoyed our stay and found the negative comments to be totally unfounded. We were affected by the hurricane and found the hotel to be the perfect antidote for us! We reserved a standard room, but through my membership in SLH, were upgraded to a Park View and had absolutely fantastic views of the San Fran skyline. The room was large - especially for a city hotel - and had all the amenities we needed. The staff were extremely helpful with directions, renting a car, etc. We loved the location in Nob Hill - just a short walk uphill from Union Square, but away from the noise and crowds. Was a nice walk to Fisherman's Wharf and North Beach too and not too far from the Financial District and Ferry Buildings, so for us, perfectly located. Will definitely be back next time we're in San Fran!

Room Tip: Select a room with a park view. Also, since the building is old, make sure your room is several doo...
Reviewed 18 November 2012

The first time we stayed the The Huntington we had an excellent room. Large, cool view of city with some eerie fog drifting in across the old building. Spa was excellent. Live piano music is always cool in the city especially with low mood lighting and a nice glass of cab. The second time we stayed, the room was smaller and not as well laid out.Service is prompt and I like the multitudes of cabs ready to wisk you away for a nice dinner and drinks. I will try the Huntington one more time. But I think the best thing to do is try new hotels at each stay. The "first impression stay" is where its at!

Room Tip: One of the higher floors with a view
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
HuntingtonHotelSF, Public Relations Manager at The Scarlet Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Dear TeresaMarica,
Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I'm glad that we made such a great first impression on you and that you loved the spa and our restaurant! We're very happy to have such fantastic amenities for our guests here on site. Regarding our room sizes -- we're a very unique property, in that the hotel started out as an apartment building initially, and was converted into a hotel later. During that conversion, the footprint of the rooms were kept mainly the same, so many of our rooms are quite large, and we have an interesting mix of room sizes and layouts. We hope that you'll give us a chance to recreate that first impression you had of us on your next visit to San Francisco!
Warm Regards,