“Quiet hideaway in SF”
Review of Petite Auberge

Petite Auberge
Ranked #22 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Just came back from a four night stay at this wonderful little hotel. Our room was a queen with a fireplace, and was very comfortable. Great bed, the fire was very welcomed as it was cold and rainy most of our stay. Breakfast buffet was very good, the only small drawback was that they had the same egg dish fhe first two mornings. Other days were different. Afternoon, they served hot and cold appetizers and white and red wine near their fireplace. Great place to meet and greet.
Location was terrific, less than two blocks from the cable car, and a reasonable walk to the Bart station on Market Street. We would definitely return here.

1  Thank EastwestUSA
There are newer reviews for Petite Auberge

Reviewed 23 January 2012

This hotel reminded us so much of our favorite place in Paris! Darling decor, nice staff and we couldn't get enough of the cookies. The breakfast is a great perk too. Downsides are the room was a bit small, fine for a couple but would be tough for friends, and our bed was a little "wobbly" like it needed a new box spring. If you are a heavy sleeper it won't bother you at all. We would love to stay again when we go back to san francisco!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We've stayed for 4 nights at the hotel.
The good:
The location is great - 5 minutes walk from union square.
The staff was friendly and helpful
The home-made food was yummi and the complimentary wine - a real treat!
The rooms with the fireplace are very romantic.

The bad:
The room we were offered when we checked in was tiny, with a lovely view of a brick wall some 2 meters away. For a small extra (which was refunded later - for reasons I'll mention shortly) we were offered a room on the ground floor (#16), which had much more light but was frozen (the fireplace couldn't do the trick), and noisy - the sound of people walking over our heads on the wooden floors or the showers they took have woken us every day at 5AM!! Its location near the dining room didn't help either... Finally we moved to a room on the top floor (#56) which was much more quite (but you could hear very well every time someone opened the faucet in the next room or just left an alarm clock and wend out for dinner!) and a little warmer.

In conclusion - cute hotel, but we'll probably not stay there again.

Room Tip: choose the outer rooms - ones that have 6 in their ones digits (i.e.: 16, 56)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TomerMic
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I am a Joie De Vivre member so I looked for hotels in city as I was attending an event and needed a hotel just for one night. Staff was fantastic and helpful, check in was easy despite having to go to 2 doors down to White swan their sister hotel. I got the valet package which was so worth it. They gave me the number to the hotel and i called while shopping and 20 minutes later arrived at the hotel and my car was waiting in valet spot in front of hotel. The room was adorable, received upgrade to fireplace room with bay window. Love the old style elevator. Wine reception was delicious and fun. Love the 24 hours coffee and beverages. Breakfast was beyond any normal continental breakfast, hot and delicious with lots of choices. Love the old style real keys for rooms. One traveler was furiously yelling at the staff that he was not given enough keys and could not open his door. The staff member politely finished with me, then personally walked him to his door to show him how to use the keys properly instead of pointing out it was his error. Handled beautifully. Room was quiet. The sister hotel looked slightly nicer, but I could care less. i loved the charm, the rooms, the food, and the price was just an incredible deal! I booked online directly thru the joie de vivre website. I just stayed at omni with my 3 kids in december and loved it. however for a little romance and adult getaway this place is a treasure! I would choose this for couples and a little romantic getaway anyday. A real value for the location, service and amenities and charm. My only suggestion would be to get better mattresses but i slept great.

Room Tip: I had a room with a bay window overlooking a parking with views of other buildings and a parking lot...
2  Thank Veda P
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I selected this hotel by happy accident. I was planning on staying at a five star hotel on Nob Hill and just couldnt bring myself to deal with the hugeness of the property at the last minute.
The Petite Auberge was just down the hill from the fancy, high priced hotels and offered a much more relaxed and homey feel.
My room was on the 4th floor at the end of the hall with a fireplace and queen bed. beautiful, french country style furnishings and a touch of old world charm. Very clean and comfortable.
Loved the old style elevator and the quietness of the property.
Great buffet breakfast the next day. Much better than the fare offered at the big chain Suite Hotels.
The only reason I didn't give this 5 stars, was that I accidently left a presciption in my room and after searching everywhere after I got home, realized I left it there. I had to call them and ask them to send it back. Better customer service would have been for them to contact me. They had all my information on file, including my name on the pill bottle.
Other than that, A great stay. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Loved Room 46 on the 4h floor with Queen Bed and Fireplace.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo