All reviews other guests castro area yogurt carrying luggage church street sleeping room home away from home can't imagine staying anywhere else boiled eggs breakfast is served come home public transportation mass transit haight ashbury breakfast was excellent golden gate park top floor
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I stayed at this place during the July long weekend and beyond. When I booked, the owners sent me an e-mail with the directions to the inn from SF Airport. I followed the directions to the T, and had no problem finding the place. It takes almost 30-45 minutes in train/subway to reach from SF international airport to this place. Just make sure to have enough USD in cash with you, as the machines at the stations are not very friendly with credit/debit cards. (In fact, there is a man that makes money from tips by helping visitors on how to operate the machine)

The location is very close the Church Street subway, plus you can take the bus/streetcar from the street to access SF downtown. I was given a room at the second floor. The room was clean, with fresh sheets on the bed, a table, drawers, a cupboard , a small TV and a basin with toiletries. The Wi-Fi speed is adequate.

The staff was very friendly and helped me with directions to nearby restaurants and attractions.

There are a number of restaurants within walking distance of this place. There is also a Safeway opposite this place. So finding a place to eat is not a problem, even if you happen to be a vegetarian (I am one).

The place serves breakfast every morning. Yogurt with all the helpings of dry-fruit, all kinds of bread with spreads (I had my first taste of vegemite), cereals, cheese, boiled eggs, juice-coffee-tea and a freshly baked treat every morning (Although after a while it could get repetitive). I wish they included more savoury treats in the morning, but I know American breakfast doesn't include savoury/salty items.

The washrooms and bathrooms were clean. No complaints there. I liked the request card about not wasting the water.

The payment was upfront when I checked in. I found it bit odd, but on hindsight, I was in hurry when I was leaving and the payment process would have just delayed my departure. So don't regret having an upfront payment.

During my stay, I saw people from all demographics. This place does not serve to just specific clienteles.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at this place.

The reasons why I didn't give a 5 rating to the property

1) This is an old house converted into a residence. So if you are carrying luggage with you, you are on your own when it comes to carrying luggage to your room. I have a bad back and wasn't happy carrying my bag to the room.

2) The house is old and has that old carpet smell.

3) There are no central or window AC. So either you keep the window open at night or use fan. Luckily, it didn't get very warm at night when I was staying. Opening window at night invites street noise.

4) There are some shady characters loitering near this place during night. I am not sure if there is any care taker during night and the possibility of trespassing. (Yes - I am being a bit paranoid here)

5) They gave me a key form the main entrance and the room. In case you lose your key and you come home late at night, I am not sure what would be your options.

6) The washrooms were clean and had a hand sanitizer, but having to walk to your room to wash your hands just seemed a bit odd.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from main street.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank JSmith31082012
Reviewed 25 July 2017

The staff were very helpful, especially at getting us in late. They were able to provide a parking space for our rental car (extra $15/night). You would never find the place if you didn't know what you were looking for, but the location is very convenient.
The breakfast was excellent. Lots of choices; nicely laid out in a small pleasant breakfast room.
The sleeping room was just big enough. The shared bathrooms were always very clean and available.
However, I was bitten both nights. Four days later, I still have itchy red places on my arm.

Room Tip: You definitely want a back room away from the noisy street. We stayed in room 24. All rooms are either 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2017

We stayed at the Willows Inn for three nights and enjoyed the nice room and the atmosphere in this B&B in the Castro district. The place is decorated with love and very well kept. It made us feel really comfortable. We liked the kitchen conversations with other guests at the breakfast table and any other time of the day while sipping a cup of coffee. We very much appreciated the chat we had with our Innkeeper accompanied by a glass of chilled white wine. Willow’s Inn is within walking distance to many interesting locations, cafés and restaurants, we enjoyed a walk to Haight Ashbury and the Golden Gate Park.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2017

The Willows Inn was the perfect place to stay for our San Francisco trip. We were able to walk or take the streetcar to everywhere we wanted to go. The Inn management were welcoming and helpful and kept the place spotlessly clean. We slept well and always went out full up and ready to go with a healthy and tasty breakfast and good coffee. Reasonably priced (for San Francisco!) and overall a very good experience.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2017

Comfortable surroundings, welcoming and helpful staff, and the best b&b breakfast in my experience, including great coffee. Conveniently located near mass transit, buses and streetcars and trains. A huge Safeway is a block away, and there's a laundromat right across the street. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo