“Nice and chintzy!”

Ranked #8 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Phoenix, Arizona
“Nice and chintzy!”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The hotels I typically stay at in San Francisco were either booked or too expensive for my last trip so I ended up here, and I wasn't disappointed. At first I was a bit afraid of the decor--it's English country meets Midwest chintz and a bit busy for my taste--but I got used to it. Our room was spacious by San Fran standards but had a cozy feel, particularly with the fireplace, which we needed because it was cold and rainy during the entire trip. We had a room on the top floor at the back of the hotel, and it was nice and quiet. We had none of the problems with wifi that others have mentioned. Great (and free) signal at all times. We also loved the "library room" on the ground floor, where my daughter sat by the fire in a comfy chair and did her homework. We had a toilet issue on the first night of our stay, but it was quickly remedied. The location is a few blocks away from Union Square (up a bit of a hill), and there are a lot of nice neighborhood restaurant choices close by. All in all, a great place to stay if you don't mind a chintzy decor and don't want a big hotel experience. Well worth the price given the amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor at the back of the hotel will be quieter. We were in room 56 and thought it...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I have been to San Francisco several times and normally stay with family. However, as I was on a business trip this time around, I opted to stay in a hotel in the city. I was impressed with the reviews mentioned in tripadvisor and went ahead to book.
The hotel didnt fail. It was a great location in the city along Bush St where it is a little quieter instead of being on Powell St itself. The hotel is a beauty... not your typical decor. The fireplace in the room was definitely a draw for me. The dining room in the basement served simple and lovely breakfast (nothing huge like the typical American breakfast) but sufficient to fuel yourself in the morning. I didnt get to enjoy the evening wine and snacks served but my co-worker did and she said it was lovely, especially the ambience.
The only hiccups I had were with the wifi - signal was not very strong and whenever I was on "facetime" (apple mobile app), the line would drop off which proved to be disruptive in the conversation. The other was the television - somehow I had only 1 channel and I had to ask the front desk twice to have someone come fix it. Wasnt a big deal since that 1 single channel had great movies for the day.
I will return back to White Swan if given the opportunity or maybe I would try the Petite Auberge (also a Joie de Vivre group).

Room Tip: My room faced the courtyard and I found it to be nice and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We were here for three nights in
Feb. 2012 and enjoyed our stay. Breakfast was good the coffee good and the choices great.

Room Tip: We had no problem with our room. We were on the third floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I hunted for weeks to find the perfect place to stay in SF as it was the last stop on our roadtrip and I wanted somewhere fancy but not too expensive. We loved this place! It was great value for money, in a great location, close to union square and the cable cars to Fisherman's wharf. It's on a fairly busy street but once you're inside the hotel it's so peaceful you could be in the country. Good breakfast and hot drinks available in the breakfast room all day. We had a queen room with a fireplace which was very welcome as the temperature dipped dramatically in the evening. Great size room and very comfy bed, we had room 24 which was on the ground floor next to the lobby but we weren't aware of any noise and slept very well. The gentleman on the front desk was very helpful as was the valet. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Just watch the post at the bottom of bed, I have a lovely bruise on my shin!

Room Tip: Room 24 was very peaceful and quiet and no faffing with lifts!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank small2006
United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

What a find.We were so lucky to find such a super place.Large rooms with a great feel, so homely.Well placed for Union Square. Room was changed without a problem as the ones at the front are noisy due to the road in front.
Great lounge in the evening with canapes etc. Breakfast varied and adequate.
Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple