See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 May 2015 via mobile

This was the worst lodging experience I've ever had. I was unable to use the washer and dryer. The stove doesn't work. I felt unsafe because the inn keeper left keys in the mailbox. Boo! Yuck! Although parking was reasonable.

• Stayed: December 2014
Reviewed 21 April 2015

I stayed at the Castillo Inn for three nights in March 2015. The location is good but the rooms are not very clean and there are stains on the sheets. The owner said the sheets are clean but he can't afford to buy new sheets because that's how he keeps the costs down. There was hair on the pillow. The bathroom blinds and cabinet don't like as if they've been clean in awhile. The shower is a good shower with good water pressure at least. The rooms are basic and you get what you pay for - not a lot of comfort or appeal. I woke up with marks on my face, hand, and shoulder area and after I went to the doctor was told it was most likely scabies. You can't see the mites that cause scabies with the naked eye and even though I didn't see any bugs in the room and the owner said no one has ever complained about bed bugs or scabies, it seems very odd and coincidental that I have never woken up with marks like that until staying at Castillo Inn. This place also is not a real bed and breakfast. There's a box of cereal on the counter and some milk in the fridge. There were muffins on the table one day. I would never stay here again. I've stayed in cleaner hostels. I would recommend paying a little more money to have a cleaner environment and to be at a place where the owner takes more pride in the space.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank SaraTravels323
Reviewed 25 January 2015

The inn is located in a clean-looking neighbourhood with good night-life activities just a short walk away. There is a grocery store nearby and various MUNI stop areas that will get you just about anywhere in San Francisco without having to transfer.

However, I cannot say I was greeted with a very warm welcome given that I did not meet the owner until I "accidentally" ran into him 5 minutes before I left after staying there two nights. However, he seemed like a nice, easy-going guy from what I've gathered.

The place is somewhat neglected in my opinion. I did not see any bed bugs, but there was an unmistakable musty smell in the inn because of the old carpet and furniture. The place "looked" dirty: the area around the windows is dark and the ceiling had cracked paint. It was not very pleasant.

It's surprisingly quiet at night and wi-fi works fine, but the "continental breakfast" in the morning is nothing great: self-served bananas, muffins and bread & spreads. No one to serve or greet you.

Fortunately, you don't pay much for a room, but the room isn't worth much anyway.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Jean B
Reviewed 20 October 2014

San Francisco is a very expensive city. Since my companion was paying he wanted the least expensive room I could find. This was it. The location was great. Just a few blocks from Market Street in the Castro district. Easy access the Muni transport. Good restaurants near by and I felt safe there. The key was not where it was supposed to be when we arrived so I had to bother the neighbor in the duplex to call Cristina. We waited 30 mins for Cristina to arrive. She showed us around the dingy, dirty place. She changed the sheets while we waited. The bottom sheet had a rip in it. Cristina was very nice and brought fresh linens daily. The room was too small for two people. No cooking allowed although there was a full kitchen. I would not go back here again . Spend extra money and get a nice place.

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room. Our room was so small we could barely turn around.
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank melannneo
Reviewed 25 August 2013

This is a place to stay if you (a) are a thief, (b) are at the mercy of a really bad travel agent, or (c) don't care about your belongings or any rest.

The system that innkeeper Mario seems to (really) think is fine, is to ask folks leaving to throw loose keeys in an unlocked and unguarded in any way door at the fronth when they left. When I checked in he didn't have a key, but called later to say to look for one by the phone. One was there, and as his accountant or staffmember of some sort finally thank god backed up, it was a key t o the front door only, not my rented room, from which several things were stolen. Again surprising given the inability to tell whether anothehr soul is in this 5 bedroom house, and presenting chances for, well, loss.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo