“Pleasant Stay”
Review of Andrews Hotel

Andrews Hotel
Ranked #126 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 14 January 2017

Stayed at the Andrews for 5 nights. It is an old charming small hotel located in an excellent location, walking distance to everything. Every morning they had a very nice complimentary breakfast right outside our room. The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful regarding getting around San Franscisco. It also has a lovely little restaurant in the hotel with a complimentary glass of wine every evening for hotel guests.

Room Tip: Not sure about best room location.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Andrews Hotel

Reviewed 4 January 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the Andrews Hotel for 2 nights. The location to Unity Square was perfect for us, just a 5-10min walk away. There are lots of nice restaurants within walking distance. The hotel itself has lots of character and the staff were very friendly. The room was clean and a good size. Breakfast is continental and is served on each floor. Food was great, just help yourself and eat in your room. The room was a bit noisy with road traffic but it was to be expected given the age of the building and the busy area.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2016

When I arrived to check to the Andrews at the end of a 5 week tour I found I had made a mistake in my booking, and they were expecting me 4 weeks earlier... So the pretty corner suite I had booked was not available, and they had to give me the last available room... it was very tiny, had some recent work done in the bathroom, making the hand basin unusable for the first day - and had a very loud neighbour through the wall who really did annoy me. Since noise from other guests is my #1 hate in hotels, that loses a star. The hotel is at the start of a somewhat grungy part of the city, but very smart stores, Union Square, and the cable car are only a few minutes away. The breakfast is simple but fine, the bathroom was tiny but worked well... and the staff were all unfailingly helpful and friendly. So it was my mistake that gave me a tiny cramped room, but the staff did all they could to help me conclude my holiday on a happy note.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2016

We enjoyed our stay here very much. We arrived pretty late after a delayed flight. After a quick check in, we were in our room. The room is pretty small- though standard for big cities. The bed is comfortable and we slept well. Breakfast was available in the hallway at 7am and there were delicious croissants and muffins.

The Italian restaurant downstairs is amazing - make reservations - they fill up pretty quick.
The staff are excellent - so very helpful and friendly. We had to leave really early for Yosemite and it was before breakfast was served and they kindly offered us a bit of breakfast even though it was before 7am.

We don't usually spend too much time in the room when we travel- we are out and about so much- so the hotel as perfect for location.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2016

The only positive thing that one can say about this hotel is that the staff is nice and the location is close to Union Square.
But it is also noisy, the rooms are small, no a/c, old building with a single elevator , wifi is so,etimes ok, sometimes has issues etc.
2 reasons why I am giving 1 star only:
When I arrived, I noticed a 3cm big, fresh, red stain on a sheet. I took me some time to convince the manager that "of course I want the sheets to be changed". I really can't understand how a sheet, supposedly coming from laundry, could have a stain that big, and fresh (kind of jelly).
The other thing is that the breakfast is just some fruit, coffe and croissants served on a table in the floor corridor. Very very poor breakfast for the price, and you have to eat it in your room. That means that at 7 in the morning a buffet starts in the corridor outside your room, and it can be very noisy. Also, if you go later in the morning, chances are that there are few things left to eat. I think that the fact that the guests are forced to eat in their room may explain the stain on the sheets...
Even if you put the DND on the door, the staff may enter your room and do the housecleaning, which may be disappointing from a privacy point of view, or if you just were sleeping in the room.
I suggest to book here only if you are desperate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at an high floor.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business