“BUZZ FROM THE MOMENT YOU ENTER!”
Review of Mister Jiu’s

Mister Jiu’s
Ranked #768 of 6,295 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 6 July 2018

Wow! I've been coming to San Franciso Chinatown for years and never thought there could be such a cool place.

The place has buzz at the bar and in the eating areas!

What a find!

Give!

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We tried to get a reso in advance. It’s difficult to get in but we were able to walk in and get a seat at the bar. Food and service are excellent! Worth it

Reviewed 22 June 2018

A wonderful experience at Mr. Jiu's from start to finish. We were greeted warmly at the front door and taken through the long, sleek dark wood bar past the bright, immaculate kitchen into the contemporary dining room. The room itself is a gem. A soaring double height ceiling highlights a bright light-filled space. Three large, gold lotus chandeliers and an understated, wall-length ink landscape add that oriental touch without being trite. Tables are VERY generously spaced - usually unheard of in SF. Subtlety and elegance is the initial feeling.

Several members of the staff took care of us through the evening. All were very polite and professional in the casual San Francisco way. No pretense, but knowledgeable. We ordered drinks and perused the menu. There is definitely something for everyone. The descriptions betrayed an innovative take on classic dishes. We decided to try the "Classics" pre fixe since it was our first time and it contained most of the things we wanted to try. It was a great choice.

The meal started with a turnip cake that was crisp on the outside and truly moist inside, beautifully seasoned and sitting in a pool of a perfect sauce that played with the sweetness of the cake. Next was the Dutch Crunch BBQ bun. I love BBQ pork buns and the sweet crunchy top added to the sensation. I do wish there was more pork inside - it was perfectly spiced an deliciously tender. Last of the appetizers was the Sea Urchin Cheong Fun. Now, sea urchin can be iffy in less competent hands. I have had it in top restaurants where there is faint "sewage" taste (I'll pass). This was fresh and briny the way it should be. The cheong fun was sitting in a pool of rich broth that tied all the components together. A great end to the appetizers.

After a short and welcome pause came the main courses. We tried both the halibut and the quail. The halibut was one of the best halibut preparations I have ever had. Flawlessly cooked fish sat in an oyster broth with tender vegetables, baby greens and young ginger in a light unctuous sauce. Light, hearty, fresh and completely satisfying.
The quail was stuffed with rice and was garnished with house made lap cheong sausage and cherries. I love quail. The quail itself was moist, tender and seasoned with a Chinese "nine" spice mix. The seasoning was a perfect match for the succulent flesh. But the dish felt unfinished. The rice stuffing was mushy and bland and the sausage was dry and chewy. The cherries added a fresh component but it could definitely have used a sauce of some sort. Not a total miss, but definitely a low point. Along with these dishes came Wagyu Steak Fried Rice and the Tendrils, Greens and Stems. Now, I am not a fan of fried rice. I usually find it heavy and tasting somewhat of stale oil and overcooked ingredients. This one changed my world. Light fluffy rice tasted of meaty broth and was lightly but confidently seasoned. The Wagyu steak was moist and succulent and the vegetables that perfect crisp tender. I could eat this every day. The vegetable dish of tendrils, greens and stems was sublime. They were that perfect level of doneness - tender, but with texture. They arrived with a mousse-like ball of meyer lemon, garlic and sea urchin. When mixed in it was a flavor combination I have never before tasted. These green, along the halibut, were the major WOW and OMG moments. Completely unexpected. This is the art of great cooking. I AM going back specifically for these two items.

Dinner ended with a Black Sesame Cake. What a great way to end the meal. The moist cake was covered with dots of cream piped on along fresh cherries something crispy. Best of all it was not too sweet. Gluttony dictated that I could have eaten 6 of these, but the one small piece was the correct portion.

The wine list was well chosen. Pairing wine with this cuisine can be difficult. They succeed brilliantly.

Overall, the experience was well worth the price. This is not typical Chinese food. Some may say it is not real Chinese food. I say it is Contemporary Chinese. Food like life must move forward. Brandon Jew is at the forefront. It was not inexpensive. A couple of moments could have been better. But as a whole, this is a very good value for the quality and attention to detail. I will be back! Reservations can be difficult, but I can see stopping in to sit at the large welcoming bar for a great meal. There are many more dishes I want to try. But definitely try the halibut and greens. They are a must.

1  Thank William B
Reviewed 18 June 2018

The restaurant is very attractive with many creative dishes that are very different from the more traditional Chinese restaurants. Our meal was excellent. It was well worth the visit. Reservations are a must.

Reviewed 3 June 2018 via mobile

Dined here for a family’s birthday dinner and probably ordered too much food than we can stomach. Service was great, food was amazing from the appetizers until main courses. The duck took quite long to arrive but it didn’t matter because we were so full by then. Overall - highly recommended for those seeking chinese food with a twist!