“Amazing Find”

Ranked #26 of 144 Restaurants in Bar Harbor
Price range: US$17 - US$25
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Mache is a casual neighborhood bistro in downtown Bar Harbor, Maine. We offer an ever-changing menu:our appetizers, salads, entrees, small plates, and house-made desserts are prepared with the finest produce, freshest seafood, and organic & natural meats available. Full bar and eclectic wine list.
Northern VA
“Amazing Find”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

What a wonderful find in Bar Harbor! Mache Bistro was recommended to us by the owner of the B&B we were staying at as a great place to celebrate my husband's birthday. We drove by the restaurant late Monday evening and the lights were out. Thankfully I got out of the car to read the sign on the door which indicated they were closed on Mondays. I made a call to request a reservation on Tuesday evening and received a call back the next morning confirming availability.

I had heard that Maine had wonderful restaurants and the Mache Bistro definitely confirmed that for me. The entrees all looked wonderful and I was having a hard time deciding what to order. The server suggested try the duck, which is something I would have never thought to order. It was amazing. The best meal I had in a long time.

The service, atmosphere, food were all excellent. Mache Bistro is a small establishment so reservations are definitely recommended. You won't be disappointed.

2 Thank WheelsUpNorthernVA

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Still the best in Bar Harbor”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We go to Bar Harbor, which we affectionately call the town of cruise ships and tshirts, twice a year just to eat at Mache Bistro two nights in a row. It is that good. A meal like you will get here would cost twice as much in NYC and not be prepared with such TLC. The chef here is just a genius in the kitchen. My personal favorite is the portobello mushroom on lentils. Do not pass up dessert! Go and enjoy!

1 Thank DuffyNC
Bloomington, Minnesota
“Intimate restaurant with well served fine food”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

One of our most expensive dinners but the food and wine were superb. Our server had a wonderfully quiet and efficient way that fit with the atmosphere.

Bar Harbor, Maine
“Great Restaurant: Yes. Best on the island: No.”
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I have eaten at most of the restaurants on MDI but had yet to go to Mache until this October. Based on TA and guests at the Inn I worked at, I was expecting to be wowed. I was more than happy with my meal, but left a tad bit disappointed. We got reservations a day ahead of time (needed for such a small and popular restaurant) and if you are a walk-in, forget getting a seat anywhere but potentially at the bar (even that is iffy). I watched 2 couples get turned away just as the place was opening for the evening. I found the limited menu choices was disappointing as of all the menu items, I really was choosing between only 2 entree possibilities I would like, rather than the 4-5 I might expect at other places. The female server was polite and efficient but had no spark, no personality and basically just answered questions and nothing else. Maybe this is how hoity-toity restaurant service is supposed to be, but I would have preferred some casual banter. The food was as expected, well prepared. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals but, having eaten at other fine restaurants on the island, I expected better than I got and was not wowed. All in all, I would rate this high on my list of places to go to, but I know of at least 4 other places on the island I will prefer going to.

1 Thank Greg D
Calgary
“Make sure you have dinner here!”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Fine French cuisine. Make sure you call for a reservation because this is a popular place. Smallish menu but will be sure to have several items you will want to try. This is an expensive meal but it's a world class meal.