“The Service Is Better Than the Food”
Review of Sumo Ramen

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Sumo Ramen
Ranked #64 of 131 Restaurants in Kaneohe
Reviewed 17 September 2017

I walked into warm air because the restaurant had just opened. The server greeted me immediately by asking me if I wanted "take out" or "eat here." I told him the latter and went to sit at the counter, but he asked to be allowed to wipe it first. He apologized for the wait and the heat. Then, he said, "I'll bring you a menu and some iced water in a second." I asked him to bring me a Diet Coke as well. Even better, he brought a bottle of Diet Coke with a cup of ice.

As you can see, the service was outstanding. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the food. The fishcake which topped my miso ramen--I had ordered the miso ramen combo, which comes with gyoza and fried rice--was so rubbery, I could've dribbled it to the fast food restaurant next door. The piece of pork was too fatty; I bit around the fat and left the rest. The ramen noodles were delicious as was the broth, but the gyoza was almost burnt on one side and perfect on the other, which made for some uneven chewing.

While I was eating and reading the news, the air conditioner kicked in. I also noticed some wonderful classical music had begun playing. Happy, I turned my attention to the fried rice; however, it had an odd smell and an odd taste. It took me 3 bites to identify the sesame seed oil. I'm sure others would be delighted; I detest sesame seed and apparently sesame seed oil.

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

Great, family-friendly service. Good ramen and udon. Great curry, and curry fried rice. If you're spending time on the windward side with kids you probably already know about the great play area in Windward Mall, but if you want a change Of scenery nearby for lunch this is a solid choice that will go out of their way to make you and the kids welcome.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed 28 July 2016

If you like ramen then this is the place for you. They have a large selection of ramen dishes. They are very good, probably not the best around but very good.

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed 8 July 2016

These are the kind places we loved when we lived on Oahu and look for when we come back to visit. It was a rainy day with a weather front blowing through. Perfect for ramen or pho. Decided to get curry ramen and it was right on. Ono grinds. Thick yellow curry served hot with a nice portion of noodles. We both had leftovers. Everything was cooked fresh and came fairly quickly.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 14 October 2015

Delicious ramen shop on the windward side of Oahu. Had the spicy beef ramen and my nose was running but the flavor was very good. Lots to choose from including a fried SPAM appetizer, which was also very good. Senior discount was 20% too!

Date of visit: October 2015

Been to Sumo Ramen? Share your experiences!