“Kalama Unit”
Review of Auntie Barbara's

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua
Auntie Barbara's
Ranked #8 of 13 Kailua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 March 2017

I stayed 3 nights in the Kalama Unit by myself. It was a nice little unit with a huge king size bed. The bathroom was very nice. Being a larger woman I found the shower a little small for me....however adequate as I don't stay in showers very long. More for a tiny person. I believe two people might have a difficult time maneuvering in this unit with bags and all. The place was very clean...there was limited utensils and dishes, but again, adequate for a few days stay. If I was staying longer I would have booked the larger unit....I would have enjoyed more space...but I believe there was at least a 5-10 day min. requirement. I've stayed at many locations in Kailua and Lanikai over the years and Auntie Barbara's Kalama unit is clean and cozy. Barbara is very kind and helpful checking if everything is A-OK. You can't expect much for $85/night in a million dollar + congested home area of Kailua, Oahu. Three days/nights is about all I can handle on Oahu. Happy travels.

Room Tip: This is an Ohana attached to the main house.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank BevC607

Reviewed 8 February 2017

We had a nice stay in the Kalama studio unit for one week. Barbara was a gracious hostess and provided us with various beach equipment and kitchen utensils. Location was great, approx two blocks from Kailua beach, less than 5 mins drive into town for restaurants and a fantastic Whole Foods Market. Approx 10 -15 mins to Lanikai beach, 20 -30 mins to Waikiki, North shore and Haleiwa.

The downside, the unit was a bit small; especially the kitchenette. It was too limited for our needs and difficult for indoor meals without a table. However, there is a lanai with BBQ on the other side of the main house.

Even with the small quarters, it was a pleasant stay. Reasonably priced and definitely recommend for people who want a more leisurely stay. Should we return to Oahu, we will opt for the Hiilani one bedroom unit with full kitchen for a little more elbow room.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2016

The Kalama Room is the smaller of the accommodations and it was perfect for us. Very clean and comfortable, it had everything we needed each night after busy days of activities. A/C, fans, TV, microwave, mini-fridge, king size bed and a wonderful shower. Just the place to collapse after a very full day!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2014

We found this place on line and then called Barbara directly to make the reservation. This was the perfect place to stay after our week on Waikiki. We felt a far different and more relaxed atmosphere from the minute we stopped into the Morning Brew for a coffee in town on arrival. We then set out to find our next Oahu experience. With a little help from Barbara we found 516A from the big numbers on the wall next to the narrow driveway. We were pleased with the very spacious Hiilani unit and settled in for a three night stay. The unit was well stocked with supplies and to top things off, the shower head has a setting for something like a misty light rain. The driveway is narrow, but with a little effort I learned to turn around at the house so we could back-in to the parking stall and then drive straight out each morning. You are short walk to the beach and a short drive to the exhilarating Lanikai Pill Box hike. It is also a nice drive to the North Shore.

Room Tip: Barbara has two units, a small studio type and the bigger unit. I would stay in either unit.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rshay
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed in the Hiilani unit for 9 nights in June. We arrived at 2am and Barbara had left the unit open for us with some lights on, so we were able to go straight in and get settled. The unit is large and totally comfortable with everything you need. Great lanai area with an outdoor setting and BBQ and all the beach equipment that you need. Kailua Beach is a 5 minute walk away and Kailua Town a 20 minute walk. Kailua Town has great shops and restaurants, and is a lovely place to stay. Barbara was a real pleasure to deal with and this is where we will stay our next time in Kailua. Highly recommend all of it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family