“Tainted Old Greasy Egg Rolls”

Yen Yen Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #98 of 155 Restaurants in Kailua
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 19 May 2015

Nearly empty just past lunch; should have been a clue.
Brusk waitress: should have been a clue.
Tasteless chicken vegetables; should have been a clue.
Industrial tasting sweet sour pork; should have been a clue.
Tainted Old Greasy Egg Rolls: case solved.

Reviewed 19 October 2014

Well, I cannot comprehend how this restaurant warrants "best Chinese in Kailua". How bad are the others?! :-/ We decided on Chinese take-out when hurricane Ana put the cabosh on our anniversary plans in Waikiki. But, hey! we're flexible and up for an impromptu take-out/DVD evening (it has been 22 years after all).
The first thing that struck me is the AWFUL lighting in the place. It's like an old Long's store. I can't imagine how anyone would choose to eat in house.
I tried one of their "specialties" of the house: the seafood in taro nest. The seafood was sparse, though fresh and there was LOTS of al dente broccoli on a deep fried taro nest that seemed like it was fried days ago. Not at all fresh and crispy. Sort of tough and leathery. The dish was only rescued in flavor by a packet of hot n sweet mustard we found in the cupboard of our rental.
My hubbie got the shrimp vegetable dish on noodles. It was SO bland, I cannot imagine how anyone would enjoy this dish. Perhaps smothering it in soy sauce?
He also ordered the sweet and sour spicy chicken. Firstly, we were told the sweet and sour was not spicy. He pointed to the item on the menu. The waitress asked the other woman about it in Chinese and they evidently clarified what the dish was supposed to be. Well. He got sweet and sour spicy chicken that was neither.
He exclaimed, "this is NOT our anniversary dinner".
Oh, thank goodness! It needn't have been. Just decent Chinese food. Which this was not.

2  Thank mismenagerie
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Nice local Chinese restaurant, you can find it in the Enchanted Lake (not lakes) shopping center. We enjoy the friendly atmosphere, great prices, large menu, good portions and you can eat in or order take out. Not a five star restaurant but we are very happy to recommend our favorite Chinese restaurant for their great quality, quantity, price and friendly service.

Reviewed 16 October 2012

The food is great, nice and quick, and our kids (2&5) love it. They look after us well. Their Crispy Chicken is awesome!

Reviewed 28 July 2012

I have been eating at Yen Yen Chinese Restaurant once a month for about a year now, and I am still satisfied. I normally like to order the Hot & Sour Soup (which is a little different every time I order), Shrimp canton, Asparagus and beef, and their cake noodles (which is great). I would much rather do take-out than dine in because it gets a little crowded after 6pm. So, if you are planning on having dinner at Yen Yen, try going between 5:30 and 6pm and be ready to order. If you are going for more flavor, than I would suggest that you try foods that have black bean sauce (which can be a little salty for some), and also get noodle dishes with veggies and meat as I feel that these dishes turn out to be the most flavorful. The Hot & Sour soup is amazing, however, sometimes it has a lot of heat so stay clear if you can't handle spices like chili peppers. Like I said, I usually do take out, but it is only because I live a minute away from the restaurant, but it is so worth it if you are planning on having a picnic at the park or if you are taking food to a potluck.