“"Special Burger"”

Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 18 March 2018

My sons wanted hamburgers for lunch so we stopped in to check them out here. What a delicious surprise! My burger came with a lot of crispy fried purple onions on top! I think it was called a "paniolo burger". It had bacon, cheese and a tasty sauce. Very moist & delicious! It was the windward mall location and the waitress was very busy but came by to politely check how our meal was.Good atmosphere and location near the food court.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

BCD is one of those reliable places where you can drop in at any time and be fed competently, plentifully and...well...adequately. We went in early one evening and encountered (a) a bar that had no limes (fortunately they're next door to Foodland), (b) a so-so Bloody Mary, (c) a waiter who spent a great deal of time telling us that things were coming "right out" when in fact food and drink production were a bit slow for a quiet time in the restaurant, (d) big, juicy and very tasty burgers (the "Big Burger"), and (e) a bread pudding that was overpoweringly rich and gelatinous. If this sounds overly critical it's not meant to be -- this is a restaurant that is unpretentious, very local in its flavor and style, and does its own genre well. Just don't expect more.

Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

Got the breakfast wrap with home fries. The breakfast wrap was very large I could only eat half. My wife had the meat with gravy dish which was very tasty service was quick and friendly. price is very reasonable for Where We Are almost half of what we spent on breakfast at other places. will definitely be back.

Reviewed 26 January 2018

We spent christmas here, stayed at bellows, and always hang out in kailua, my folks lived there, and have friends in that area. My folks loved Big city diner, so do we, its a tradition. However this time, customer service was not what it used to be, in fact no one seemed happy, we waited for an outdoor table, sat at bar, but took forever to have a beer while we waited, not to many smiling faces??? We will give props to one girl in the red shirt, CHARLOTTE , she came up to us and expressed her sorrow, and regret at our service, as she overheard us talking, she is a classy young girl, and only one that smiled FYI, management , shes manager material, food was good as always, just the attitude of folks there, we will be be back next trip, and as our tradition, will sit out side, thanks, Charlotte ,,, this was around dec 16th or 17th, 2017

Reviewed 9 December 2017

I used to stop at a Big City on every visit to Oahu. This was my first visit to the Kailua restaurant. I had breakfast and though it labeled as the Big Breakfast it really wasn't that big. Service was fine and the ambiance is casual and comfortable. I had expected my meal to be a bit more memorable, but it just wasn't like I remember having before. I will try other locations again but when in Kailua I doubt that I'll return here.

Been to Big City Diner? Share your experiences!