“The Quiet One”

and 1 more site!
Northshore Hostel Maui
Reviewed 16 August 2017

I stayed at 4 Maui hostels over a 3 week period – BANANA and NORTH SHORE at Wailuku, ALOHA SURF at Pai’a and TIKI BEACH at Lahaina. I review each separately on TRIP ADVISOR and can confidently say that for travelers seeking a quieter option to the sometimes boisterous atmosphere at the others, NORTH SHORE does the job.

As such, it tends to attract a slightly older, more mature clientele. Other pluses include: it's extremely well organised – I particularly liked the after-hours arrival set up and the very helpful information folders/fact sheets/publications which told me stuff I didn’t know even after 2 weeks on the island; helpful staff (hats off to super-efficient MOMO): airconditioned dorms compared with fans at 2 others; free airport/beach/Ioa Valley shuttle; free pancakes; very sturdy bunk beds (I was unaware someone was sleeping above me one night); big spacious bathrooms – 4 in number which seemed sufficient for the relatively small number of guests; relaxed living area, keypad entry which kept the door to outside locked to non-guests; big free well-lit public carpark directly across the road, good wifi, relaxing upstairs front balcony, post 2200 quiet time practised and not just given lip service.

DOWNSIDES: small kitchen got crowded at peak eats times; 8 person dorm a bit cosy; location isn’t near touristy attractions or a big supermarket (however plenty of eats joints/bars nearby); PC a bit clunky; limited clothes-line area; doesn’t offer the free island tours of BANANA and ALOHA SURF; older building so beginning to show a bit of wear and tear (but the place is kept very clean).

THE RATING: I have rated all 4 of my hostel stays ABOVE AVERAGE. But if BANANA deserves 4 stars, NORTH SHORE beats it with 4.2 which I judge equal to TIKI BEACH. Only ALOHA SURF at 4.5 is better IMHO.

TIPS
- make sure you write down the entry code # given when booking to ease keypad entry on arrival.
- NORTH SHORE indicates you use bus#20 to/from down town – bus stops are at the State Office Block building 400/500m to the south-west of the hostel. Online’s better mapping locations will show these stops. But be aware buses 1 and 2 have stops in Nth Market St only 400m down around (left) the corner (to the north east) which may fill a gap between #20’s hourly schedule (although they take maybe 3X longer to reach downtown).
- IOA VALLEY is a great, no cost excursion from NORTH SHORE. Momo drove me up at 1000 and although many facilities are still closed from a devastating flood Sept 2016 it is still a great area to check out. Locals were ignoring barriers to sit in the lovey swimming holes of the river and so I jumped a barrier and took a 4 hour (return) ridge hike up adjacent to the famous IOA NEEDLE. Gotta say the rough trail and steep descent wrecked my 71 year old knees and so I didn’t appreciate the 5km walk back down the road to the hostel even though it was a gradual downhill and would be a doddle to most of you dudes.
- The free beach shuttle is to KANAHA BEACH PARK near the airport. This is a pretty nice strip of silica which happens to be one of the world’s premier KITE SURFING/WIND SURFING locations. I’m not sure if the hostel picks up on subsequent AIRPORT shuttles – if not you can come back independently by taking the short road across to the airport and catching a #35 or 40 bus into town and then changing to a #20,1 or 2 to the hostel.
- If you use the local buses make sure you have plenty of dollar notes: $2 each bus/no transfers. No change is given. A day pass ($4) is excellent value if you plan more than 2 rides. Buses have free bicycle racks, great for long trips against the wind (don’t ask how I know this) and NORTH SHORE has a $10 a day hire bicycle – bit of a clunker but it does the job.
- it is possible to get to most places on the island by bus (although frequency is not great) – but NOT to super popular HANA or the VOLCANO, or to the island’s best beach (BIG BEACH with the funky and super popular Sunday afternoon DRUM CIRCLE at adjacent clothing-optional LITTLE BEACH) or to some of the attractions in the island’s north west. Check the hostel’s notice board – many guests have rental cars and are looking for people to share the trip to these places.

I hope some of the above stuff may be useful. NORTH SHORE is not shabby at all. I can recommend.

Room Tip: Maybe rooms at the front of the hostel have some street traffic noise, but be aware this is not a ma...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank blackeldo

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

Breakfast was included. Terrace with view to the street. Private rooms are really nice for a hostel (but overpriced like all accommodations in Hawaii). I would recommend Airbnb in Hawaii. Parking next door (free for 12 hours)

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2017

Cosy place with great staff and comfortable beds! I came with a rental car so I was pleased with the free public car park opposite the hostel. I also love the location. One street block south from the hostel is Main Street with plenty of food options and a Chevron gas station. From Main Street it is a straight road to Iao Valley, Kahului and Hana. One street block west from the hostel (perpendicular to Main Street) is High Street, where it is a straight road to Lahaina. Using this hostel as a base, I could easily drive around Maui and return to the hostel without GPS.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 July 2017

The hostel was very good. Clean both in the common areas, toilets and room. There is always space to park the car in the parking in front of the hostel. The staff is very polite and helps you out in organizing local activities in the island. Toilets are many and cleaned i guess twice a day because I never found them dirty. At night there is not any noise both from the hostel and from the street so after a day of intense activities, that was our case, we could really rest properly. I really enjoyed my stay there and I deeply recommend it.

Stayed: March 2017
Reviewed 9 June 2017

My second stay in a hostel and it was a very good experience. I felt at home because of the open atmosphere, created by the staff members and the owner. It´s a carefully renovated historic building in the mid of Wailuku.

If you´re a looking for:
- a well-equipped hostel (laundry-room, kitchen (e.g. free coolers, bags,), cheap snorkel equipment, bath mats, free airport shuttle....)
- a central starting point for Maui excursions
- well-structured information folder, where you get an idea which activities are possible (with and without a car)
- the possibilitiy to meet other interesting people in the lobby
(but it´s not a must! You can just stay alone, too.)
- four bathrooms with toilet & shower (that provides a bit privacy)

What you need:
- open-mindset
- a little bit patience during the bathroom rushhours
- maybe a car to have more flexibility (I had no car and travelled with other guests of the Northshore, which was also a great experience)
- love of the countryside
- like to go to sleep early (if you´re a party people, than you can relax and recharge your batteries there)

What you get:
A pleasant and relaxing vacation period!

P.S. But be careful: At times you may have to come back, because you liked it so much ;-).

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Anja K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wailuku
3.5 km away
18.1 km away
Hakuna Matata Maui
Hakuna Matata Maui
#40 of 43 in Lahaina

Been to Northshore Hostel Maui? Share your experiences!