“Heaven on earth but some administrative details need attending to”

Lumeria Maui Retreat
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Makawao
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I would agree with other reviewers on most points so I won't repeat them at any length. The location was stunning, the atmosphere serene and peaceful, the staff friendly and efficient (cleaning and food preparation), and the food was both healthy and absolutely delicious. Yes, you definitely need a car unless you want to hang around here all day and have arranged for all your meals on premises. But I can't give this resort an excellent rating as there were too many glitches that happened that shouldn't have happened. This resort only opened in January and my impression was that they have not expanded their administrative end of things to deal with the volume of guests currently staying here. What disturbed me most is that none of my concerns were addressed - all were summarily dismissed. While I would still stay here again and would encourage others to do so, I think that future guests should be prewarned and prepared.

I arrived shortly after 5 pm having specifically planned my travel plans so that I would arrive in time for dinner because the reviews were so positive. I checked in, enquired about dinner only to be told that it was necessary to make reservations 24 hours in advance. Period. End of story. I am one person, jet lagged and don't have a car. There are other guests dining. I did check the website and sure enough this information was under the dining tab. I had phoned to make reservation for the night as I was arriving one night earlier than our group. I never received any confirmation - was only told that shouldn't be a problem as the resort wasn't full. I was never told of the 24 hour reservation policy for dinner.

My credit card number was taken - I assumed as back up to cover all of my charges. My card was charged for the one night that I was responsible for before I left - I was never given a bill or any accounting for the amount. I assume the increase over my confirmed rate was some sort of tax but again no accounting.

Front desk hours are 8 pm to 8 am. Absolutely inadequte in a resort of this size - there had to be at least 15 or more rooms. There was a phone number posted on the door for after hour service - supposedly it was the owner's phone but he was not always on the property. And there are no phones in the rooms or common areas.

I wanted a massage so went up to the office to request one for early the next afternoon. The desk lady told me she would try to find a massage therapist for that time. She wanted my phone number which obviously I should have given her but because I would have to pay long distance charges and was not carrying my phone most of the time I gave her my email address. My understanding of the conversation was that she just needed to find a therapist and confirm the exact time. By lunch the next day I had not heard so went to the office again. The owner and another lady were there. I asked about the status of my appointment and they told me they were sorry but they were booked and could not accomodate me. They suggested that I book another time but could not guarantee any time - just that they would try to arrange it. I told them to forget it. Now everyone in my group who had a massage thought it was wonderful but to me not having an adequate system to book appointments was totally inadequate.

We needed to check out at 11 am on the last day of our stay. So we went to the front desk to ask where we could put our luggage. The owner who happened to be in the office told us no problem - we could store it in the office. That satisfied me at the time and we left. But then I remembered that our flight was at 10:30 pm and the office closed at 8 pm. So I headed back to check out that point - what would happen if I couldn't retrieve our bags by 8 pm due to some unforseen circumstance. But now the owner was too busy - while we were there they seemed to be most busy selling the property to travel agents, people planning weddings there etc. So I asked the lady at the desk. She said she would be there till 8 pm the night we left and if the bags were still in the office would move them to the lobby where she would be until 10 pm. That satisfied me until the next morning when I actually dropped the bags. The regular desk girl told me that I needed to be back at 8 pm or my bags would not be available for me. Period. End of story. The lobby was a public place and they couldn't guarantee the security of my bags. So I asked one of my group who be at the resort all day to ensure that in the rare event that I was not back by 8 pm she would collect my bags. I ended up coming back much earlier than 8 pm. As I expected the bags were in the office and no one was in sight. While waiting around for our ride to the airport, I noticed other groups arriving for various reasons only to discover that there was no one in the office.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seemed equally desirable to me.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank sixtysix66_66_66

Reviewed 22 October 2012

WOW...Lumeria Maui does exist just as it appears in its website's photos. It is truly beautiful with gorgeous gardens and such exceptional attention to detail. But to experience the peaceful and heartwarming feelings you just have to visit- I will jump at the chance to stay here again. The staff are more than friendly and accommodating...it is obvious they love what they do. The owners have answered their heart's calling and there is an obvious infusion of Light. Mahalo for creating my dream's vision on Maui!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jenbird1
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This was my first trip to Maui, or any of the islands. I am not a 'resort' kind of girl. Lumeria fit me & my needs perfectly. It was remote enough for the times I wanted to be away from it all, but close enough and central to everything Maui has to offer that I did everything I wanted and did not feel at all put out with the travel. The staff worked diligently with me and coordinated every little detail so that my stay was everything I could have hoped for. The facility is small enough to provide the opportunity to get to know and to converse with the other guests, as well as Zorin. However, there were many days I did not see another individual, and that was alright with me.

I was there at the same time as the "roach haven" reviewer; I do not know who they are, and I assume they are the reason that I observed maintenance folks spraying one morning. While there were insects in my room also, I did not have an "infestation," nor did my vehicle have any. I did close my car windows most evenings, but my room windows were never closed (no air conditioning & who wants to miss the sound and smell of the beautiful Maui breeze?!) and I frequently left my door hanging open while I walked to the kitchen, around the grounds, or sat on my deck. In my opinion, insects go along with the territory of the tropics and staying in a place where the doors and windows are open and you are closer to and part of nature. In addition, Lumeria is eco-aware, and if you use these type of products, you know they take time to work.

The food was absolutely amazing. Both the 'to-go" lunches that were prepared every afternoon for me - in a manner that allowed me to take them with me on my adventure or stay in the kitchen and eat- as well as the dinners. I was loathe to leave Lumeria to sample any of the Maui eateries!! I did have dinner out twice and lunch once, and while the places I went to were good, I must say Lumeria was better. The chefs did a terrific job of accommodating my dietary needs (I am vegetarian), they asked about my preferences and altered later meals in accordance with those preferances. I had many discussions with the morning/lunch chef and even learned a few new recipies that I took home with me. What more could you ask for?!

I had 3 different massages while I was there. Every one was fantastic in its own right. I also did stand up paddling lessons...with the most terrific, gracious and patient woman! I participated in a sunrise bike tour of Haleakala and a zip line tour of West Maui mountains...both were great experiences. Every one of these adventures were arranged with the help of Christine and Tina. Only one planned activity did not occur, and that was through no fault of Lumeria. As a matter of fact, they did everything in their power to help with that situation also. Wonderful wonderful people!!

Unless you plan to stay on sight the entire time, and there is plenty at Lumeria to keep you there, you will need a car. There is no pool, but with the ocean so close, I never would have set foot in it. There is a hot tub, nestled away in a beautiful spot where you can smell the light scent of the jasmine nearby.

I am sure I am forgetting something that I wanted to mention. All I can say is go there. Experience it. I highly recommend it and am sure you will not be sorry.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank dawn b
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We'd never been to a yoga and meditation retreat before. We wanted something different, peaceful and restful. We got more than we asked for. This is a very special, spiritual property. That being said, anyone can have a good time here as it is well located and so beautiful. Staff is great. We loved Radha's yoga class and the meditation classes too. No air-conditioning and you need a car to get to the beach. The Maui air is so luscious, we wouldn't have wanted air-conditioning. Food is excellent. We will be annual visitors!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Lumeria is a super-conscious, beautiful and sensual escape. The gardens, crystals, twinkling lights spread throughout the tropical trees and pathways all conspire to pull you into a dreamy retreat-state! Our group loved it! The food was fantastic, and the yoga space serene. "Pineapple Mist" hydrates gardens and your own skin for a few minutes here and there, to be followed by the inevitable rainbows. What a find! Located up the mountain, Lumeria is not too far from the ocean if you have a rental car. There are no shuttles from Lumeria, so be prepared to either sink in deeply on site, or have wheels ready if you are more adventurous!

Room Tip: We liked the rooms off the back, facing the windy ocean side and hammocks. More privacy, less ambie...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Makawao
40.1 km away
36.5 km away
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
36.2 km away
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa

Been to Lumeria Maui Retreat? Share your experiences!