“Great hotel, fabulous location”

Royal Lahaina Resort
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel, fabulous location”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I spent four nights at this hotel and enjoyed every moment. Our room was perfect. It overlooked the golf course and had views to the ocean and the decor was lovely. In my view the hotel offers the best location on Kaanapali Beach. It is an easy walk to the vibrant Whalers Village where we ate on three occasions. The resorts around the Whalers Village are much bigger than the Royal Lahaina so the area looks very overdeveloped. The Royal Lahaina is more secluded having the golf course on one side and several acres to the other before the next resort begins. The beach in front of the hotel is beautiful so we spent a lot of time there enjoying the water and watching the whales. The buffet breakfast was included in our room rate but was very ordinary. That is my only criticism of this fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the golf course side.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank CatherineM1962

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (969)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 23 February 2012

The hotel is located on Kaanapali Beach and it is about 3 miles north of Lahaina where you can find whatever you need. The parking is a downside with the parking spots about 2 feet wider than a car and cost $10 per day or $16 per day with two free Mai Tais from the bar. The rooms were comfortable and the staff was friendly. We didn't eat at the restaurant as there were many other nearby restaurants we wanted to try. The luau at the hotel is great! If you pay the extra $15 per person, you get in about an hour earlier than the rest and get a seat by the stage.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and are quieter. The A/C units are on the third floor roof on the s...
1 Thank 1Averageman
San Jose, California
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The two stars are for the last time I visited . . . just over a year ago. We liked the place a lot. Nice decor, free upgrade. We loved the pool and the beach. And even though there's no spa, we could walk to the one in the strip mall nearby. I actually, we liked the local coffee shop there, too. So, based on last year's visit, this place earned four stars.

But that was then, and this is now. This is a story of a screwed up reservation. Now, I won't blame that completely on the Royal Lahaina. In fact, my guess is they deserve only a fraction of the blame. Here's the deal. I used my accumulated points from my credit card to book three nights. I called the night before my flight and the morning of my flight. Both time the person at the hotel front desk said, "the agent hasn't sent the reservation yet. But if you have a piece of paper that says you have a room, we will find you one." Should I worry, "absolutely not. We'll find you a room." I did have the printed reservation receipt, and I had several assurances from the credit card travel advisor that the booking would be sent over.

Well, it wasn't. Now, that's bad, but that's not what upset me. When I got to the hotel, the lady at the gate had called to someone from the front desk. She met me outside the lobby with a guard at her side. Really? Your message is, "Don't even step foot in the lobby?" She said se had been looked into the situation since I called in the morning. A third party (hotel beds.com) had booked me at a resort in Makena, nearly an hour away. There's nothing she would do. What about, "I'll find you a room?" Nope. Don't even come in. Where's the aloha.

So maybe it was the fault of hotel beds.com. Frankly, I suspect the hotel bumped me because there was a HUGE conference in town. But, again, it's not about that. It's about how I was treated.

I asked about the resort where I was rebooked. She said disparagingly, "The beach is nothing like this. It's way over by the Aquarium. I don't know anything about that area. I don't think it's nearly as nice as this." Well, Makena isn't by the aquarium. It's far from there. If she spent any time on the island, she would know that. So she was being dishonest. And, it turned out, the Makena Beach Resort was fantastic . . . great beach and pool . . . wonderful brunch daily, great views, super friendly staff a great fitness room, and a fantastic spa service. So why bad mouth it?

Couldn't she have said, "I know you must be disappointed. But I called ahead to the Makena Resort. Here's what I found out. I think you'll really like it." Would that have been so hard?

Or . . . "I know I promised you a room. I spoke out of turn. I sincerely apologize, Here's a coupon for a drink or coffee or a coconut (or something). Next time you come here, we'll give you a fantastic upgrade. We value your business. We feel really really badly."

So this bad review is not for the messed up reservation, it's for the bad attitude and for trying to make the customer feel he did something wrong.

The good news . . . The Makena Beach Resort is really wonderful.

5 Thank Mike95128
KoryStrona, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Aloha. Thank you for the review. We regret that you were unable to enjoy another visit here at the Royal Lahaina Resort due to issues with your room reservations, and we are truly sorry to have left the impression that we did not want you here. The reason we notified the gate attendant to call our Reservations manager when you arrived, was because she felt badly about having to advise you that your reservations were held at a different resort, and she asked our bell/valet attendant standing next to her, to please hold off on helping you unload all of your luggage and park your car, since we did not have any available rooms. She was informed by our reservations office that the 3rd party who booked your room had changed it to another resort, and she did call the resort to confirm your reservations there before you arrived. We are sorry this was not the information given to you when you called our operator, and we would like to apologize for giving you the wrong information about the location of the Resort in Makena. Unfortunately we were completely sold out, however there was no conference being held at the resort during your visit. Again, we sincerely apologize, but we are happy to know that you enjoyed your vacation over at the Makena Beach Resort. Our team will be in contact with you to further express our regret and see if there is anything we can assist you with. Mahalo nui.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have stayed here twice now. I went once with my mom, and a friend the second time.

You can't beat the location, right on a secluded part of Kaanapali beach. When staying here I would highly recommend you book the Kai tower, its worth the upgrade amount. The cottages are in need of some renovations, but the Kai tower is amazing!

I have stayed at the Westin in Maui as well and would pick the Royal Lahaina over the Westin any day. Royal Lahaina has the Hawaiian feel to it, it really portrays what Hawaii is supposed to be.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank missalicia001
KoryStrona, Manager at Royal Lahaina Resort, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Mahalo for the review! We’re glad you enjoyed the Royal Lahaina again for the second time. Yes, the cottage rooms have not undergone the multi-million dollar renovation like our rooms in the Lahaina Kai Tower have, but they are clean, comfortable, and a great value. We hope to see you again for another truly Hawaiian vacation. Aloha.
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My husband and I did not book this hotel ourselves. Our Hawaii-based travel agent booked it for us as part of our Hawaiian honeymoon package. So honestly we didn't know what to expect beyond a beachfront resort on Maui. Royal Lahaina surpassed all of our expectations! From our partial oceanview room, to the coconut scented shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash to the LOCATION to the mai tais at the resort bar/restaurant. We spent our first night in Maui on a lounge chair watching the sunset over the ocean...it was truly magical!

The ONLY negative I can say about this resort is that the pool is just a rectangle. Nothing pretty, nothing fun. Just a rectangle. But the view beyond the rectangle pool, the lush green grounds and the location far outweigh the un-imaginative pool.

I would definitely recommend this resort to a friend/family member.

Keep in mind that despite Lahaina being in the name of the resort, it is not in "downtown" Lahaina (where many of the tourist attractions/shops/restaurants are). So you will need a rental car (and pay to park in Lahaina, which can be expensive) or take the free resort shuttle bus to Whaler's Village and pay $1 for public transportation to downtown Lahaina.

This didn't bother us in the least, but it is definitely something to keep in mind!

PS - the pillows sucked, which is why I didn't rate the sleep quality very high

2 Thank Kimba115