“Great experience for a new diver”
Review of Extended Horizons

Maui Certified Scuba Diving Tour
US$129.71*
Maui Night Scuba Diving Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Maui Extended Horizons Scuba offers tours and lessons on Maui and Lanai. Established in 1983, we are unique because our instructor/guides have extensive environmental training, we are the only commercial boat on Maui running on 100% biodiesel, We are the only dive shop running on 100% solar, and we helped found and fund the Day Use Mooring Program on Maui which prevents anchor damage and creates and maintains moorings for the State of Hawaii for the public and private sector. And we love diving!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Last week we finished certifying as PADI open water divers, and our instructor highly recommended Extended Horizons as a good company to dive with on our first real dive. We wanted to go somewhere "easy", but EH was going to Lanai, so we nervously signed up. OH MY GOODNESS....our experience was fantastic, all the way around.

EH crew was: Captain Aaron, Mark, and Victoria. Victoria was our dive guide. She was wonderful. When she found out this was our first boat dive, and that that we were new divers, she asked if we were open for suggestions to become better divers. We said YES!! and she helped us all along the way, keeping a special eye on us.

We dove with a different company the next day (only because they were going to a place we wanted to go) and it was interesting to see the differences in operations. I liked EH a lot better.

One thing that EH does is they let you know what you might see (including showing you pictures) and tell you of the significance of some of the rare things. Then, afterwards, we talked about it again and reviewed what we actually saw and we could ask questions. I felt like i learned about the fish, coral, nudibranchs, etc. This was not boring...in fact, it made the boat ride go by quickly. Honestly, without it, i would never have realized all the cool stuff underwater, because being a new diver, it helped get my mind off the technical aspect of diving, and onto the fun, which was the reason i wanted to learn to dive in the first place.

We visted Secret Cove and Second Cathedral. Both were so incredible. I used to think there was nothing better than snorkelling at Molokini, but Molokini looks dead compared to Lanai. We purchased the photos ($60, cash only) and they were SO WORTH IT!!! Pics of us on our first real dive...we looked like deer in the headlights!!!! haha

We will use EH on our trips to Maui in the future. Mahalo, EH!

There are newer reviews for Extended Horizons

Reviewed 12 January 2012

I was really impressed with my overall experience with Extended Horizons (3 2-tank excursions + tagging along on a Discover SCUBA). As an academic biologist and PADI Divemaster I'm attuned to levels of knowledge and safety practice and EH exceeded my expectations on all counts. I used my own equipment, but the rental gear looked relatively new and well-maintained and they provided everyone with dive computers. Victoria is an outstanding Instructor/Divemaster and naturalist who really knows the fauna and was great at pointing out the rare and/or endemic (only in Hawaii) species and answering questions after the dive. I definitely learned a lot. The group size never exceeded 6 divers (usually 4-5) per divemaster, which was more than manageable, and they took us to really cool and different sites at Lanai and Maui. I could dive First Cathedral and Sergeant Major at Lanai every day and be happy. Thanks to Aaron for getting us safely across the choppy channel. EH also allowed me to tag along when my brother and sister-in-law went on a Discover SCUBA. Keith was great at handling two nervous first-time divers and took us on a lovely shore dive. The biodiesel boat engines and reusable water bottles are not to be overlooked - it's great to support such an eco-conscious small business. Thanks Victoria, Eric, Keith, Mark, and Aaron! If I'm lucky enough to be back in Maui this year I'll definitely be diving again with Extended Horizons.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

My husband and I dove First Cathedral and Sergeant Major with Extended Horizons in December 2011. The dive instructors and boat captain were very knowledgable and I would do another dive with them next time I'm in Maui. Plus, the Cathedral was a really terrific dive - to see the light shining into the Cathedral is breathtaking.

As a bonus, they have nice quality rental equipment and if you're in Victoria's group she'll take professional quality pictures of the dive for you. We purchased the pictures from her and they are really fun to look at and helped us to remember the great time we had on our dives with Extended Horizons.

One warning - the boat is small so it could cause some to get seasick.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

I have done a number of recreational dives over the past 25 years and I thought Extended Horizons did a great job. They met us at the boat ramp in Lahaina. Check in was easy and thorough. Victoria and Mark were our dive guides, and Aaron was the boat captain for a two tank trip. We split up into two groups and my son, daughter, and I dove with Victoria. She did a great job briefing us on everything from how we were going to get on our equipment and enter the water, to what to expect on the dive, and how to get back on the boat after the dive. The dives were great and we saw lots of marine life. They provided a snack between dives and water during the entire trip. After the dive they showed us pictures and described the marine life we encountered. Victoria took a number of photos of our group and the marine life during our two dives. Thankfully I elected to purchase them as they turned out great and were easy to access and download. We also went on a great night dive from the shore with Keith and it was spectacular and Keith was a great guide. I would highly recommend Extended Horizons, Victoria, Mark, and Keith.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

We spoke with one of the larger SCUBA shops in Maui, but after connecting with Erik, we felt confident that we wanted to dive with Extended Horizons. We met Erik and Mark at the Mala boat dock at 6:30 a.m. and headed for Lanai. We saw whales on the ride over and back! We first dived The Cathedral and then Sergeant Major. We saw lots of wonderful coral and fish! I love the smaller group and the more personalized attention we received from Erik and Mark! Mark used an underwater notepad to identify what we were looking at, which really enhanced our experience. My husband and daughter also felt that this was an awesome day of diving. One of the most amazing experiences was when we could hear and feel the vibrations from the whales!

We were also very impressed with Extended Horizon's focus on reducing their environmental footprint. Additionally, having a head (bathroom) onboard was great!

We also rented tanks from them and did a self guided dive. I think the next time I will be tempted to let the experts show us around!

We will definitely use Extended Horizon for future dives in Maui and Lanai.

1  Thank GypsyChimps