3,457 results
All reviews konea tower duke's restaurant aina market sewage plant bosch appliances full kitchen ocean view through vrbo kaanapali beach rentals every other day washer and dryer times market quiet pool grocery store high end appliances underground parking hula pie
Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

Have stayed 2x before in same unit,649
and dealt directly with owner before this year. Much less $$$. Place had cockroaches, carpeting needs to be replaced as do the appliances. Lighting not bright enough in bathrooms. Pool was filthy and cloudy. Beach way too crowded now that the Westin Villas opened up next door. Won’t be back.

9  Thank PEEKEE616
Reviewed 16 August 2018 via mobile

We are currently in the Konea tower in a 1 bedroom room partial ocean view room. The room, especially the bathroom is spacious. Kids loved the pool slide. The lazy river is nice, but doesn’t have a current that takes you around the pool. We loved the Nana wall that opens up the room and to the lanai.

We had a few issues with the room.
- when we first walked in, it had a strong cigarette smell. We talked to Makela at the front desk who was extremely nice. She sent someone over to clean it out. The smell is less intense now, but still there.
- The washer works ok, but the dryer took 3 hours to dry and the clothes still came out damp.
- The sofa bed is very springy and the mattress doesn’t have enough cushion on it. It was very uncomfortable to sleep on. We had to get the roller beds for the kids. The roller beds were much more comfortable.
- Overall, the room is starting to look worn. The carpet is very dirty looking. The couch and the bar stools have stains on them and are very worn out. Bathroom doors have dents on them.
- Room service is extremely disappointing. You get towel service every other day and full service every 4th day. We were in the room having lunch when the full service ladies came in. We asked if they come back in an hour after we finished eating. She wasn’t happy about it, so we said it was fine to come in and clean. They just changed the sheets, exchanged towels and vacuumed half of the living room and left. The bathroom, kitchen or the bedroom wasn’t cleaned. The lanai is really dirty as there is construction near by and they did not even bother sweeping the floors. We end up cleaning the room and the lanai everyday and this is not something you want to do on vacation.

This review is for room 646 and I have attached pictures of the view from the balcony.

5  Thank hinhello
Reviewed 16 August 2018

If I were reviewing this resort based on the property and amenities themselves, I think I would give it a 4-star review. However, my experiences with the front desk and reservations team were extremely frustrating and very negatively impacted my view of the resort. If you're considering staying at this resort (which I would actually recommend, especially for families), then I encourage you to book through a 3rd party (i.e. Maui Westside Properties, like I ended up doing).

After we arrived, we were supposed to be "upgraded" to a 2-bedroom (I confirmed before our arrival) but they put our party of 5 in a 1-bedroom and tried to charge almost $500/night to upgrade due to "high occupancy". The front desk lady when were first arrived was extremely rude and no one was willing to work with us at all, despite the e-mail I had showed them. I was so frustrated that I actually ended up cancelling my room through the hotel, forfeiting the 2-night's reservation penalty, and booking through Maui Westside Properties - who were amazing! The hotel will try to tell you that they provide more services not available through a 3rd party, but this is a lie and you actually get much MORE through most third parties (beach towels, beach chairs, umbrellas, etc.), in addition to all the same amenities the hotel provides.

As for the property and amenities: there are several pools for all ages/preferences on the property. The towel reservation process is strange and they try to tell you that each towel is "microchipped" and will charge you $20 if you fail to return them - there is no way this is correct (you'll see how it works when you get there), they're just trying to scare you into not taking their towels. There is a decent grocery store (Times) within walking distance or a very short drive. Prices are a bit higher than in the mainland but not too outrageous (except milk!). Lots of smaller restaurants and food trucks in the same parking lot for a quick bite. I would recommended stopping at Costco by the airport if you're staying for a longer trip (it was already closed since we arrived at 10:00 pm). We ended up cooking in our room or the resort BBQs a lot. The beach in front of the resort isn't great but we spent most of our time at the pool and traveling to other places/beaches anyways, so it wasn't a big deal. When we went down to Wailea, we were very jealous of their hotels' beaches compared to ours. Duke's was pretty good but nothing spectacular in my opinion. Happy hour was overrated and the portions were tiny. Nice to have a restaurant on the property, though.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again, but would definitely never book through the hotel directly.

Room Tip: Book through a 3rd party, not the hotel directly
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
7  Thank cstroyan10
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

Grocery store was close and a simple request of a needed pot or pan from the operator gave families and budgets a needed break from eating out. I wish I had the option of paying more for daily housekeeping. Although extra towels were delivered from the friendly operator, it got smelly from trash and family in one bathroom. The washer and dryer in the unit was handy. I would like to see more recycling. Not just the signs but actual effort to reduce trash and the use of fresh water and power. The trash area says recycling but the staff person said it was non existent. Heart breaking. There needs to be much more attention to being green with provided grocery bags, Pump shampoo vs bottles and more economy products vs travel size. If I were the hotel manager, I would have a pantry for families to use and accept items in excellent condition when they depart. I missed the amenities and higher service of a hotel, but would return. The concierge staff was excellent and the family portrait company outstanding. Reach out prior to your trip to avoid onsite hassle of scheduling.

2  Thank C9314MJjuliew
Reviewed 11 August 2018

We rented Honua Kai 449 Konea tower, eighteen months before our 50th anniversary. We spend a lot of money to make this trip memorable.My husband and I have been to Maui many times, but, for our 50th anniversary we took our family. There were 8 of us, ranging from11 to 72. The photos of this unit looked wonderful, but....we did deal with several issues we didn’t expect. We also heard that this unit was a “sale pending” that may have added to the issues.
We went into the unit and immediately went to the balcony....the view was spectacular.....palm trees, gardens, pools....and birds. Lots of birds that left a lot of deposits on the balcony rails, floors and furniture. It looked like it had not been cleaned for awhile, and we had to clean them.
The kitchen is well equipped. The dishwasher was not stabilized and came forward when opened. We did report this to the agent and hopefully it was fixed when we left.
Our 20 year old planned to sleep on the sofa bed, but, as noted by several people in other units, there is no padding in the mattress and all that can be felt are springs. We had a blow up mattress and he put that on top for him to be able to sleep.
We all took our shoes off, which is a tradition in Maui, but the wood floors were so dirty, our feet were black in minutes!
Minor other things....drapes off hooks, beach umbrellas that we were told were Tommy Bahama( in fact, they were dollar store umbrellas), stains on drapes, mildewed linens in one bed that could not be slept on, blow dryer that only had low speed..
Dukes on the property is great, pools are great....views are great!
They say you get what you pay for........and we question if we did......

Stayed: July 2018