“Learn to surf succesfully with an enthusiastic, knowledgable, informative and profesional instructor.”

Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Expert instructors and professional surfers teach you to ride a wave on your first lesson, then help you improve, fast! First time surfers and athletes looking to improve performance are welcome.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Surfing has been a life long goal of mine. I booked a private lesson with Josh. He was amazing! He was very informative and provided a ton of knowledge on how to surf and surf etiquette. Josh has a real pashion for surfing and his enthusiasm is contagious. I was able to get up on the first wave! The pricing here is very reasonable and I've rented boards several times after my lesson.

• Korean first
Airdrie, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Our sons were surfing within minutes”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We chose Royal Hawaiian surf academy on chance when trying to find a last minute surf lesson for four 12-13 year olds in Lahaina. One of the other surf schools told us it was not a good day to surf as there was not enough waves. It looked ok to us.

Royal Hawaiian quickly set something up for us and within an hour our kids were learning to surf with Josh. All 4 kids were surfing within minutes which was amazing and the waves were just right for beginners.

Josh was a lot of fun and the kids were talking about their surfing adventure all evening after. Thanks Royal Hawaiian!

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“You have to try this!”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My partner and I traveled to Maui last month and there was one thing I really wanted to do: surf. I read the TripAdvisor reviews, and Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy had glowing ones. We booked a group class for a 10am Monday session. When we arrived, we received word that no one else had signed up that day, and that we had on instructor all to ourselves. Score!

We were greeted by our instructor Steve, who had the typical Cali surfer look going on. Steve had us change into some rash guards and water shoes, and we were on our way to the beach. After a 20 minute "class" on the beach we headed into the water. Be aware - the water is a large, dead coral reef. The reef ensures consistent waves are formed, but don't fall onto the reef or you can get injured.

I think I was more concerned about falling onto the coral, that my fear about surfing went completely away. Or maybe I thought that if I never fell, I wouldn't have to worry about the coral at all. Needless to say, everyone falls (although I did get up, and complete an entire run on my first wave). Amd Steve taught us that if you fall correctly, the coral won't bite ya.

Steve was great, funny and gives you lots of confidence when you are out on the water.

Go surf with these guys and gals (the woman at the front desk was also really nice too!). On yeah, and don't forget to smile!

HoHoKus, NJ
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Johnny P at the Marriott surf area was fabulous!!!!!”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My son and 3 daughters, ages 5 1/2-10 3/4 took surfing lessons at the Marriott with Johnny P (we were staying at the nearby Hyatt). He had infinite patience, made it fun for them, was age appropriate for each of them, with his instructions and it was a great time for all of them. At one point was on the surfboard with the youngest on his shoulders and the middle one on the board with him. They LOVED it!! The oldest child, who is a ballet dancer, was able to get up and surf several times without falling into the water. Anyway, he is just "the best" and a real asset to his compnay/employer.

Eagan, Minnesota
“Best activity we did on vacation!!”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Learning to surf with the Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy was our favorite activity we did while in Maui. Neither my husband nor I had ever surfed before, but we had a wonderful time and were both able to ride a few waves all the way in to shore. It was a blast! If you are considering doing this while on vacation I say go for it!