“The View, the Host & the Dog Make for a Great Stay!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kula
Upcountry Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Kula B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I've been to Maui many times, but I've always stayed at the beach. This time, I tried staying upcountry, specifically in Kula. It was also my first stay at a B&B. It really is "cooler in Kula", roughly 10 degrees cooler than at the beach and noticeably less humid. I thought the weather was perfect, not too hot and not too cold. The view from the Upcountry B&B is truly incredible, with a 180 degree view of the island of Maui, plus two neighboring islands. The sunset from that viewpoint is like nothing you see from the beach level. I loved the quiet rural setting, with the view including some cows and goats as well. It's so dark at night that you can see the dim stars between the brighter stars that you normally can't see. I didn't make the sunrise trip to the summit of Haleakala, since I did that about 10 years ago and that was enough since I'm really not a morning person...

The owner, Michael, is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge about the island and really should write a guide book. After a while, my brain just couldn't hold all of the knowledge he was imparting! Michael gets some amazing pastries from a local french place that are paired with fresh tropical fruit that actually made me look forward to getting up for breakfast. I'm super picky about my fruit and I thought everything was delicious.

To be brutally honest, the deciding factor of where I was staying was actually Gabby, the dog. I always miss my dog when I'm traveling, so the presence of a friendly yellow lab made my decision for me. He's a great dog who loves it when people accidentally drop crumbs of the morning pastries almost as much as he loves hand towels, so if you happen to see one in the yard, you know who put it there!

I stayed in the Twins Room, and I believe all of the rooms are roughly the same size. The bathrooms are huge by hotel standards and mine had a separate shower and bathtub and dual sinks. There was a third bar-type sink on the bedroom side, with a selection of glasses. There was a small refrigerator and a microwave perfect for restaurant leftovers. Everything was clean. Shower soap, shampoo & conditioner were provided in the shower. Michael stocks an impressive selection of movies and TV shows you can borrow for your room and he made several recommendations as part of the initial tour. For an interesting story, ask him about the rugs hanging on the wall.

I had a smoke alarm that started chirping during my stay and Michael took care of it right away. I didn't get a chance to try the hot tub since it broke down the day I arrived and getting the needed part was going to take longer than my stay. So I can't report on the hot tub, but it wasn't integral to my plans, so it didn't really impact my enjoyment. I would pay attention to the directions on the website, but my rental car's navigation took me right there. I'd definitely recommend staying at the Upcountry B&B for the view, the great breakfast, the super informative friendly host, and most of all for the dog, Gabby!

I just realized I didn't take any photos inside the room, but there are some on the website. Obviously my focus was the view!

Room Tip: I stayed in the Twins Room, which was on the ground floor. Pro was that I didn't have to carry...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MauiSunsetsGirl

Reviewed 31 July 2012

If you plan to make the Haleakala sunrise, this is THE place to stay! Michael (and Gabby) are wonderful hosts and provide you with a delicious breakfast, blankets, coffee, etc to take with you to the sunrise. A stay on Maui is not complete without a stay in Up Country at this bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KarenS458
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The Upcountry B&B was the perfect B&B if you want to see Haleakala, The Road to Hana, Upcountry Maui, South Maui Beaches, and Paia. The owner goes out of his way to get you ready for your early morning trip to the summit of Haleakala to see the sun rise. He packs a breakfast the night before and has blankets/clothes/etc. for the cold morning. He also provides excellent fruit breakfasts and french pastries. The B&B is flawless (Built by the owner). We stayed in the Black and White room. Has an amazing view of Maui. The room is big and comfortable. Perfect weather in the upcountry, not too hot, not too cold. Good for hot days at the beach. Spa is amazing at night to view the stars. Absolute 5 out of 5. Michael is one of the best hosts we've ever had at a B&B.

Room Tip: Black and White room has a fireplace for cold months along with double sink and king bed. Nice lanai...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We stayed here in May 2012 for the purpose of seeing the sunrise on Haleakala. After staying there, we wished we had planned more time there. Michael is very welcoming and accomodating. He has thought of everything for the sunrise crowd; a breakfast bag with coffee to take, blankets and warm clothes for the summit! The room was very nice and modern. Very nice hot tub on the patio that was very relaxing. Clean and well stocked. We hope to return to Kauai some day and will definetly try to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I had tried to make a reservation to stay there and had emailed Micheal all the information I needed except for my credit card number. Rather than confirming that he did have reservations open and what room was available, he kept insisting me to read his website. He was too lazy to help me and email me what he needed me to do and rather kept sending me rude emails! I've worked for the hotel industry for 10 years and do not understand how you are still in business after being so rude to customers. I don't care how wonderful the views are from you house, I would rather sleep on the street than be anywhere near someone so rude. Yes, I do know how to read, I do have two college degrees and do not need to go back to third grade. Thanks you. And don't worry, I wouldnt stay in your place if someone paid me to!

• Stayed: June 2012
10  Thank Amyon
kulaboy11, Owner at Upcountry Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

I don't really know who wrote this-becuase he's never been here- but there are almost a hundred restrictions put on Bed and Breakfasts here on Maui. While this person says he has worked in the Hotel industry my guess it wasn't in Hawaii or on Maui. I asked him to read the Room Rates page- that's it, not fly to the moon-because there are so many restrictions and everyone should know what they are. It's not really a lot to ask, you are asking to stay in my home and if that is too much to ask they go to a Hotel where they don't care about the 600 people you vacation with. I didn't create these restrictions the State of Hawaii, the County of Maui and my Insurance Company did. If you have a problem with the restrictions talk to them. I try to run a peaceful, quiet place and if that's not working for you then please don't ruin the vacation of everyone who is staying here. I get about 30 E-mails a day and this is the only person in 12 years to complain about reading the Room Rates Page-go figure!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kula
21.3 km away
Maui Tradewinds
#1 of 8 in Haiku
12.1 km away
Banyan Bed and Breakfast Retreat

Been to Upcountry Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!