“Great Pizza”
Review of The Kula Lodge

The Kula Lodge
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We've been to Maui 4 times before and this time stayed on Maui for 2 1/2 weeks in Makawao. Since we'd been to Maui before, we stopped in to the Kula Lodge to see their gardens. Since our last visit they've added a wood fired pizza oven. We came back during our second week on the island and had pizza for dinner. They make GREAT pizza. I've never been a big fan of most pizza crusts, but there's was really good.

I ordered a pizza with fresh pesto instead of tomato sauce, with the Italian sausage, Maui onions, mushrooms, and mozzarella. My hubby had a traditional pepperoni and mushroom. We both had left overs to take back to the house.

We had pizza the first week on the island in Paia at the Flatbread Company. The pizza at Kula Lodge beats theirs hands-down. Make the drive upcountry to Kula if you want good pizza.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 September 2012

This is the perfect place to stop for breakfast after watching the sunrise over Haleakala. The view is breathtaking, but that wasn't the best part of the meal.

The service was wonderful! The host went out of his way to get us a fantastic table by the windows. Our server was very friendly and even complimented our "vibe". Maybe it's because he is a Colorado native? Just saying.

I ordered the benedict with fresh fish and my mouth had a party until I tasted my husband's pancakes with the coconut syrup. Now, that was a fantastic experience and I'm making myself hungry thinking about it. Of course, the prices are high. But, hello, this is Maui. Get used to it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ColoradoBuffGal
Reviewed 26 August 2012

I didn't stay here but made a stop here to eat and it was my favorite place in Maui. Great view, nce gardens, and the best brick oven pizza! They seem to use fresh ingredients right from their garden.

Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Great pizza, great view, high prices. We knew going in that this place would be expensive. We were hungry after doing the poli poli redwood loop hike and needed something… fast. A friend had recommended this place to us based on the view so we took her advice and checked it out. The view does not disappoint. The deck is beautiful with an amazing brick oven for the pizza (yes they really cook the pizza in it!). I literally took pictures in order to build this in my future dream home. The gardens around the restaurant/lodge are also stunning. Take your time to walk around a little after your meal. The pizza was delicious (margarita) but needed sauce (doesn’t everything??) and the server gladly obliged. The sauce was amazing as well. We also got the simple garden salad… simple yes…. But the dressing was nothing short of amazing. The drink prices are reasonable if not cheap (for Maui) and we got to try the Maui wineries pineapple sparkling wine (which the winery was out of when we visited a year and a half ago). Over all high prices for a great view and good pizza!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thriftingspaz
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I had driven my family around Kula visiting various places and decided to stop for pizza. It was delicious. The employees were friendly, and the service was fast. We also ordered their spinach salad with bleu cheese, macadamia nuts, strawberries, onions, etc. The salad was amazing.....

The prices were appropriate, and it was a beautiful restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kula
21 km away
12.7 km away
Lumeria Maui Retreat
Lumeria Maui Retreat
#1 of 2 in Makawao

Been to The Kula Lodge? Share your experiences!