“Amazing!! Best I have ever had!!”
Review of Koiso Sushi Bar

Koiso Sushi Bar
Ranked #8 of 196 Restaurants in Kihei
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

I loved this place!!!!!! I have never had sushi this good! You have to have a reservation so make sure to call in advance. I will be coming back every time I come to Maui. Perfection!

1  Thank Victor G

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

Amazing gem tucked away in the corner of a plaza in the heart of Kihei. Reservations are required and we made it a month in advance. We even saw a woman come by to check if a spot opened up which didn't and said she would come back tomorrow and try again. The place seats 11 around the bar and there is a table for four in the corner. Chef Hiro is a one man team and creates his work of art with focus and great precision. It was pretty amazing. We ordered the Omakase (chefs choice) which included all the usual suspects and also Uni and sweet shrimp. The sushi was amazingly fresh and to die for. I couldn't tell you what my favorite was since they were all really good. I enjoyed and savored every bite. The service was great and the folks are so friendly. Would totally come back whenever we visit Maui again.

1  Thank croodvtguy
Reviewed 24 July 2018 via mobile

When I entered the door with a baby in the stroller and a toddler next me I was not even let in by a “friendly staff”. They said the are full right now and... full for the rest of the night. Hmm..what?

2  Thank Elena_SF779
Reviewed 23 July 2018

We love Sushi and we love restaurant "research."

We wanted to find the freshest "most authentic" Sushi we could find in Maui. Because we were staying at the Ritz Carlton Kapalua it was convenient to walk to Sansei Sushi Bar but we also felt compelled to drive an hour down the island to try the #1 rated sushi bar on the island, Koiso Sushi Bar. We tried these places on back to back nights in order to make an adequate comparison. We also had nearly identical orders at both places.

Sansei: This place is a two minute walk from the Ritz Carlton in the posh, well developed, Kapalua community. This places has pizazz! There is a vibe the moment you walk in. Lots of energy. We were seated at the sushi bar where we were served directly by our sushi chef, Jeff, and two other servers. The service was consistent and deliberate. The staff was very friendly. Jeff was extraordinarily knowledgeable about his craft and discussed each order with us in detail. The fish selections were the largest and freshest we have had anywhere (we have not been to Japan). We had chef's choice sashimi, eel nigiri and a specialty role. All fantastic and paired with great saki, wine and cocktail selections. This was our favorite sushi ever!

Koiso: This is located in the small Dolphin Plaza in Kihei, about an hours drive from the Ritz. It is a hole in the wall with about 15 seats as described in multiple prior posts. No vibe here and there may be a bit of a language/communication barrier. The sushi chef here is a true artist and the sushi (similar or identical roll choices to Sansei) was great....even as good as Sansei.....but not better. I think you go to Koiso if you are staying in the area. If we are staying at the Ritz again we would go to Sansei only and not make the drive again. If we are staying much closer to Kihei then maybe we go back to Koiso...but Koiso not nearly as fun an experience as Sansei. Maybe an accurate analogy would be that Sansei is eating a great meal with all of your best friends from college. Koiso is like eating that same meal with grandma at grandma's house.

3  Thank Work2vaca
Reviewed 19 July 2018

The omakase was amazing! Fish was so fresh and prepared by an exceptionally experienced sushi chef! We cannot wait to go back!