All reviews rocky area across the street the kitchen master bedroom within walking distance washer and dryer both bedrooms an older building road noise dish soap da kitchen ocean view great snorkeling beautiful beach an upgrade beach chairs pots and pans
Reviewed 5 May 2008

There's no better place on Maui! We stay in Unit 105 at Kamaole Nalu EVERY YEAR! Ground floor is perfect to let our kids run on the lawn as well as have the pool right in front of the unit for them to enjoy endlessly! The beach (two, actually) is steps away and perfect for children. With restaurants and a little organic grocery store across the street, we only get in the car a handful of times for a couple sightseeing adventures. Unit 105 is also special to us because Kathy (the owner) is wonderful to work with and the unit is nicely kept. It even has an iMac for those of us who just have to check our email everyday but hate dragging a laptop along! Unit fits our family of 6 perfectly too!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 1 May 2008

We have been coming to Maui for 24 years, and have stayed at the Kamaole Nalu at least 10 times. The location can't be beat as it is right on the beach and has a wonderful grass area with pool if you don't want the sand. It is central to everything, and you can walk practically everywhere. This year we stayed in unit 405 and it was infested with tiny ants in the kitchen, and bedrooms. We mentioned this to the management company, who sent someone to the unit with a few ant traps which did not resolve the problem. So it was left to us to do our own bug maintenance every day. And still the problem wasn't resolved. Additionally, the unit's curtain and carpets really needs a good cleaning. We bought straw mats to lay on the carpet so we wouldn't have to walk on the dirty carpet.
Because we love Maui, we didn't let this spoil our trip, but we will be looking for a new place to stay when we return next year.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2008

My wife and I finally decided to get married, and to do it on Maui. We researched online for several months for accomodations, and finally found the Nalu's site. I was impressed by the site, and how it shows the rooms individually. I called to ask for some information, and received an information packet in the mail with a Maui magazine thrown in (which turned out to be helpful in planning activities). When I called, I spoke to Cheryl at the front desk, and she was able to give lots of good advice about going to Maui for the first time. When we finally arrived, we stayed in unit 205. The view was very nice, although I would have preferred to be higher. The room only has a queen bed, where all of the other rooms that family and friends had stayed in had king sized beds, but that wasn't a huge problem. Every morning, at about 5:30 AM, the turtledoves start calling, and the sound echos around between the Nalu and the neighboring building...it wasn't too loud for us, because we were closer to the ocean. It is well worth it to pay the extra money to be in building 5 or 6. The property was well maintained, and the staff was very friendly. The best part was getting up early to walk out and swim in the ocean...we played in the ocean every morning from about 6:00 AM to about 8:00 AM (the time difference makes it easy to be an early riser!!). The kitchen is small, and this became a bit of an issue, as we had 18 people who cam eto Maui with us, but we were able to muddle through. I agree with another writer in this set of reviews...a few patio table sets and some chairs would be nice to have near the ocean to sit in the cool trade winds in the evening. This was absolutely the best trip I've ever been on, and the Nalu was perfect as a place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 11 September 2007

We stayed in #505 for a week in August - with two bedrooms, two bathrooms and everything we could want for a comfortable Hawaiian condo. It was a great size for a couple and teenage son (and the internet connection was appreciated). It could accomodate 2 couples, although one bedroom has a great view and the sound of crashing waves (you get used to sleeping to them after a night or 2) while the other has no view but lots of early morning noise (birds especially). There are two beds in the second bedroom and one is a double so big enough for a family with 3 kids. You do need to leave windows open as there is no AC, but it is comfortable with the windows open even in August heat . I found it on VRBO and we were very pleased - the pictures online don't do it justice. Spacious rooms, fantastic views of ocean and sand and palms, wonderful big mirrors enhancing the space, nice decor, new washer and dryer in suite, boogie boards, beach chairs, lots of towels and linens. We spent a lot of time on the lanai, with it's unbeatable views and more shade during the day than you would expect, given the views. We even got to watch the lunar eclipse from it. There is a nice pool and the grounds are meticulously kept. The beach is great but watch out for the strong waves - I lost my sunglasses when I was tossed by a wave while wading. We recommend Matteo's Pizza and the Sea Watch Restaurant in the Wailea Golf Club with breakfast until 3 pm!

5  Thank CentralButtegirl
Reviewed 1 August 2007

First the Good news....The location is wonderful...We had unit 606 which is the top floor right above the ocean. We had beautiful views of Kamaole I which is a wonderful clean beach with soft sand and gentle waves and a decent snorkeling spot right out front. Across the street there are restaurants, convenience stores, gift shops, cafes, fast food, etc. Kihei is not an upscale area. It is more like a funky beach town, so don't expect Kaanapali-type shopping or dining. We were there with our 18 yr old son and a friend of his. We all enjoyed Moose McGillacudy's. The food was very good and the prices were great for Maui. The two bedroom, two bath unit was perfect for our needs. The property is older and a bit worn and dated, but we knew that from the previous reviews and weren't expecting the Ritz. The only negative to our unit was that every afternoon it gets BLASTED by the trade winds. It whistles through the louvered windows and hold on to the door knob or it gets ripped out of your hand!
Now the BAD news...The property management...Evidently there is a company that manages the interior and renting out of the units and another that manages the grounds and the building. I have no complaint with the former. The ladies in the office were very nice and helpful. When I made the reservation, I asked them if any construction was going on or planned. She told me nothing was planned,as far as she knew, however, they are never informed until it actually begins. The management of the building doesn't let the office know about this and the only reason I can think of is so the owners don't lose out on rentals.
When we arrived there was a sign in the window informing us that concrete chipping would be done on some lanaiis from 8:30-3:30 until further notice. So, not only did we have teeth-rattling, floor-rumbling, grinding and chipping going on for 3 days but one morning before 7:30, we had a gas-powered weed whacker below our window....and it gets WORSE, if you call getting stuck between floors of the elevator for over half an hour worse!!!! I was alone and it stopped between the 4th and 5th floors. It got quite stuffy and hot and I was a little anxious. The fire department had to be called to remove a door that had been bolted shut so the elevator repairman could get to the equipment!! After I was let out, the repairman told me that is was overheating and a default setting shuts it down. I was, also, told that he had been there 2 weeks earlier to fix a malfunctioning elevator door. It sounds like they might need to upgrade their elevator! No one in management came to check on me or apologize or anything and we were here for several more days....not a word. Annie, the resident manager, needs to be in another line of work!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
8  Thank FOmama
kamaolenalu, Resident Manager at Kamaole Nalu Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2007

Aloha,

I am so sorry you did not enjoy your time on Maui or at the Kamaole Nalu.

For the record our elevator was not out of service or serviced two weeks before you elevator inncident.

I was at home depo and dropped everything and rushed back to the Nalu when I got the call from the elevator company.

When I returned you were in your condo and I did not want to disturb you.

I have the MFD report and the Kone Elevator report and the elevator was out of service for about 10 mintues and I am so sorry that you were inside. Our elevator permit is current and we have a our elevator inspected and maintained. I take our guests, our owners and my ohana's safety serious but as with ALL machines they do breakdown once a while.

I apoliqize for the construction work being done durning your stay but that just sometimes can't be avoided.

You might also ask the two boys in your unit about blocking the elevator door with sticks and playing tag on all floors using the elevator to do it.

I take pride in the Nalu and my job performance here. I do call Maui and the Nalu home.

Aloha,