See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 August 2014

we are a couple that balance splurges while on vacation and this was not one of them- we just wanted a place to sleep for the night before heading over to the pools and Pipiwia Trail and this fit the bill. We got the room with it's own bathroom/shower which was just $60 with free parking and no extra hidden costs/cleaning fees or penalties for one night stay. As it turned out we were the only people on the second floor so we also used the other shower and it was very quiet. The bed and pillows were not fancy but comfortable.

There is a shared kitchen and living area which we only used for the frigde to keep snacks/drinks cold- it is stained but worked fine.

It was very close to Hana Beach which had good facilities, a cafe with good breakfasts and not so good dinner/lunch, great swimming and a fantastic sunrise.

They were unable to accommodate a late checkout for us to come back and shower after our hike which was fine as we did not feel the need to rush back- we just showered at Hana Beach before heading back up the road.

We would stay here again if our only purpose was to get a night's sleep before the hike again.

Room Tip: I liked the private bathroom- there is only one so call in advance if that is your choice as well.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank retrieverlvr
Reviewed 2 August 2014

There aren't a lot of places to stay in Hana. I decided to give Joe's Place a try. It has no Internet service. I wound up in a room with a shared bath. The room had no air conditioning. I had access to a shared kitchen. I also had access to a shared living room but the owner's grandson hijacked the remote and the TV wound up tuned to the Disney Channel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I gave it a '1' b/c there wasn't a lower rating I could give. If you're looking for a low-class hostel-type hotel, this is it. We checked-in and were the only guests. The rooms were tiny, the beds were old and sagging. The rooms were upstairs with no A/C and very hot. We would use the ceiling fans but there was an inch of dust on every fan blade. The shared bathroom was dark. The common 'living area' consisted of sunroom bamboo furniture that was dirty...we didn't sit on it. The common kitchen area had 2 rusted fridges, and rust on the other appliances...no way would I have cooked in that place. After 15 minutes of looking around at the place, we decided to leave. We had booked 2 nights, and was refunded one night but the first night's rate was kept.......I do appreciate the one-night refund. Seriously, it was horrible. If you are a college-kid, back-packer type who doesn't require much for a cheap price, it's probably ok, but the majority of travelers would not be happy here, if only for one night. We went across the road and stayed for 2 nights at the Bamboo Inn for $195/night with breakfast.......well worth it compared to the $58/night at Joe's Place. It was so bad, my husband said if we had stayed, he was sleeping with his clothes on, on top of the covers!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank jkoonts
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Joe's offers a good stop if you just want to sleep one night in Hana. The place is like a granny's old summer house that has not been visited for years. But if you just need a bed to sleep and won't care to spend many dollars for your accomodation, this is the place to be. It is not super-clean nor fancy.

Joe's place has a shared kitchen downstairs, where you are able to prepare your breakfast or dinner if you like. If you visit Hana on a Sunday evening you should know that there are only two higher-end restaurants open.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sun_makes_me_smile
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed there one night. Really dirty place. Got really bad bites from bed bugs, which I didn't realize until 2 days after. Beds were also very uncomfortable.

Don't stay at this place! Better to be avoided.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends