“Beautiful Gardens”

Allerton Garden
Ranked #3 of 32 things to do in Poipu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: NTBG’s Allerton Garden Garden is located on the south shore of Kauai in the picturesque Lawai Valley. Tours run daily and include a ride from the Visitors Center in Poipu along a scenic coastal route and continue along the valley rim on a former sugarcane train railbed. Visitors disembark on the valley floor to explore this former private estate, named by National Geographic Traveler magazine as one of the 50 places to see in a lifetime. Plants form the walls of outdoor rooms, the canopy of trees the ceiling. Housed within are elegant statuary and water features. A popular spot for photos is the ‘Jurassic trees’, with their massive curving roots.National Tropical Botanical Garden is a nonprofit institution, dedicated to saving and studying tropical plants.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The tour starts with a short bus ride out to the property. Our tour guide was very friendly and knowledgeable about the plants. For me and my husband the tour seemed a bit slow. There weren't as many flowers as I had expected, mostly trees. I didn't see any rainbow eucalyptus either but it is home to the Jurassic park trees, which were very cool. I would recommend wearing lightweight pants on this tour. I wore bug spray and still got so many terrible mosquito bites that got terribly swollen and did not go away for the entire week we were in Kauai.

1  Thank Lauren C
There are newer reviews for Allerton Garden

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Three of us took the tour (I had been before) and enjoyed the beauty of the garden. You ride down to the garden in a nice little bus and then walk around looking at stellar points in the garden. Beautiful plants, but not necessarily native to the island. This is a lovely setting to show off what money can build for partying, but it is LOVELY! Felt the tour guide rambled on at times when he could have just shortened it quite a bit. Explains where Jackie Kennedy & the kids disappeared to after the assassination. Would definitely recommend it!

1  Thank Hippotx
Reviewed 11 August 2017

My visiting friend and her two teenage nieces and i thoroughly enjoyed our time in the garden. It was my third
visit to Allerton and each time learn more about it and its plants. Dennis was our guide and he did a fabulous job. He was engaging, friendly, and very knowledgable. I will be back with my next visitors!

1  Thank Anne F
Reviewed 10 August 2017

We visited the Allerton Garden this morning with our 8 and 10 year old children, it was a hit! It was so different from everything else we've done and the cultivated beauty was awe-inspiring. Our guide, Michael (I think) was very knowledgeable, plus he really knew how to read our group, our interests and our pace. Definitely recommend this tour if you like beauty, natural and cultivated landscapes and just a different feel from all the lovely beaches.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

The term botanical gardens most often implies a small collection of tended plants artfully arranged. This site is located in an entire valley with large trees/"rooms" with plant walls and fountains that provided visual "wow" moments. Especially impressive was the engineering that created the fountains water flow- all done from one large wooden water tank mounted on the hillside. Our tour guide David was a wonderful source of history and botany and really made the tour impressive. A must see for visitors to Kauai.