“Convenient and quiet” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Poipu
Los Angeles
“Convenient and quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

I enjoyed the peacefulness of the Sheraton for my first trip to Kauai. The pace was much more laid back compared to resorts in Oahu and Maui. Had a garden view room. Nice flat screen TV. My wife would have liked more of the amenities in the room when we arrived (shower gel, mouthwash, etc.) but housekeeping was quick to provide everything we asked for. Had difficulty connecting our tablet to the wifi, but once we got in, it worked. King size bed was very comfortable. There was some major construction in other parts of the resort, but it didn't bother us. Beach access was also very easy. Had breakfast at their cafe one time. It was pricey, so we went to Starbucks the next day. Two shopping malls within very close driving distance.

Room Tip: Building 8000 faces a swimming pool with a small waterfall
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GiantsFanLosAngeles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Polish first
San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Staying here for a conference so I guess my expectations should have been modest, but come on, I booked an "ocean front" room which, as it turns out, is separated from the ocean by other buildings and a street. False Advertising. The elevator in my building is broken. I am surrounded by paved parking lots. There is a vague sense that there is a beach out there. Carpet everywhere is frayed. This does not feel even remotely like a luxury resort, or for that matter like a resort at all.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank joeblitzflick
elainele, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Kauai Resort, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team and we will use your feedback in our daily briefings. If you would like to discuss your recent stay with a member of our team please contact guest services and ask to speak to the Manager on duty.
Again thank you for taking the time to post your feedback as it will assist us in our efforts to improve our services and product.

E. Syracuse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

March 18 - 25
We stayed in an Deluxe Ocean room - the ocean was so close LOVED the view it was awesome. The room was clean, spacious and had a good bed. The staff was so helpful and friendly, the house keeping ladies were the best. The beach was beautiful as was the entire island. We walked to the Poipu plaza had restaurants, shops, grocery store and entertainment. We went to a luau, grand canyon of the pacific, falls, lighthouse, Northern beaches, sunset dinner cruise with Captain Andy's. The snorkeling was great. This was are first time here and we can't wait to go back and yes we'd stay in the deluxe ocean front room at the Sheraton!

Room Tip: DELUXE OCEAN FRONT - quiet with lovely view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TammyLKitty
Aloha,
Thank you for your positive review of our Resort. We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Sheraton Kauai Resort and enjoyed all that Kauai had to offer. It was nice to hear that our team was very accommodating and friendly. Our team works exceptionally hard to ensure all of our guests feel special. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay on Kauai.
Menlo Park, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We got a good deal on Expedia because I think the place is undergoing renovations for the Rum Fire restaurant. $900 per person including airfare from the Bay Area in CA, rental car and 4 nights in a deluxe ocean front room. I was traveling with a friend. We had booked in January for mid-March travel.

Things I liked:
1) Location. I really like Poipu Beach a lot. It's very close to the public beach park, which has great snorkeling a few feet into the water. We also saw a green sea turtle and two monk seals when we were there. This is my first time exploring Kauai so we drove all over the place, and Poipu was convenient enough since Kauai is like a circle with one main road clockwise going from North to West. Poipu is in the South. We didn't try walking anyplace, but it is relatively close that you could walk to the shops and restaurants.
2) View. With our Deluxe Oceanfront room, the view was nice. We were on the 2nd floor of the Ocean wing. That looks out at the rocky beach and ocean. We had a nice sunset view.
3) I thought we paid a fair price for the package deal. But see my complain regarding $26 resort fee below.

Things I didn't like:
1) Rooms were just okay. The photographs on the walls were not very interesting. The room was a bland pinkish beige.
2) Insects. It is the tropics and we had ants (don't leave any food out overnight) and a roach (that scared me in the middle night when I used the bathroom). I don't really blame the hotel that much because it is a tropical island, but I will say that this is my fifth time to Hawaii, and I have never seen ants or roaches in other hotels I've stayed at.
3) Service. Housekeeping tossed out my friends' soap bottle. She was mad because it was in a ketchup like bottle and could not easily have been mistaken for trash. However, they recovered it after we complained. Who knows where it had been or where they pulled it out of? They said they would comp us the ridiculous $26 daily resort fee for 2 nights, but when we checked out, they didn't. We had to complain again, and they did it.
4) The aforementioned $26 daily resort fee. This needs to be built into the price.
5) Lava's restaurant - drinks were fine. Food was bland even though I ordered the Korean bbq beef sandwich.
6) Towels system. You have to use these towel cards to get the towels. It's a bit inconvenient, but not a big deal.

I would not stay here again, but it was fine for my vacation. I still had a great vacation. Next time, I would consider staying in Princeville at the Westin or the condos that were right next to the Sheraton.

Room Tip: Definitely get the Deluxe Oceanfront as other travelers have suggested. The garden rooms look fine...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank WhirldTraveler
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments of your recent stay with us at the Sheraton Kauai Resort. I am sharing your comments with our operational team this morning as it will assist us in our efforts to improve our services.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments and if you would like to speak to a member of our team directly please contact the resort directly and ask to speak to the Manager on duty.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

We recently just stayed 3 nights at the Sheraton Kauai from 3/30-4/2/2012. We stayed in Building 1 right on the edge by the rocks and it was beautiful, gorgeous sunsets. The room was recently renovated and very nice. The restaurants were terrific - Lavas for lunch and RumFire for brunch and dinner was delicious, kind of pricey but the food was great. I can't comment on the Garden view rooms as we stayed the whole time on the ocean side. If you can swing it, stay on the ocean side.

The pool was great, nice temperature, good size and not overly crowded during the week and we rented a bungalow one day which was great. It had a couch, a lounge, two chairs, a flat screen - it had everything anyone could want, with chaises outside for sun bathing and bar service! This stretch of beach has nice size waves, kids boggie boarding and surfers further out - great fun!

No matter what you read about this hotel, go and decide for yourself, we loved it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Aloha,
Thank you for your positive review of our Resort. We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Sheraton Kauai Resort. We hope to see you again very soon for your next stay on Kauai.
Guest services
Also consider these accommodations in or near Poipu
Kauai Beach Resort
#4 of 11 in Lihue
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,179 reviews
Marriott's Waiohai Beach Club
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa
Koa Kea Hotel & Resort

Been to Sheraton Kauai Resort? Share your experiences!