1,873 results
All reviews coconut marketplace ocean front sand bar free dvd rentals parking lot fridge and microwave oceanfront room small kitchenette trees lounge third floor general store partial ocean view every morning coffee maker hot tub north shore no elevator
Reviewed 21 January 2013

this hotel is located at the east side of the island, which makes it good place to stay as it takes about 1 hour to get to north and about 1,5 hour - to south of the island. The hotel is right on the beach, so you do not waste your time reaching the ocean. There is also a small swimming pool. There is a free parking but it is very busy and get full quickly, so you have to come not very late or to park outside the hotel area (they help to find a parking slot). There is no restaurant in the hotel, but there are a lot of options around in Kapaa and a big mall with lots of shops. They charged me extra 10$ a day as a hotel amenity fee, even I didn't use tv games and video. The room was nice and clean, very comfortable bed, good writing table, but my main complain is that I got my complimentary tea only 3 times out of 10 and also the cleaning staff was not very careful, sometimes they didn't make the bed properly and so on. These are minor things but still... May be it is a part of Aloha spirit... )

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Great property! After reading the reviews of all the hotels in the area we decided to take a chance with the Islander because the price was so good. We really got the impression this place was not going to be as nice as some of the others after reading the reviews, but it turned out to be a great place to stay.

First thing to say is that this is not a standard hotel with room service or anything. Instead there are several detached buildings with units spread out over the property. There is a lobby and plenty of services though. They were happy to make change, assist in travel bookings, towels and others so it wasn't like a time share either.

There was a laundry facility that also has a DVD/Game rental thing, similar to Redbox that our six year old loved. In the parking lot there was a small row of shops that included water toy rental, kayaks, a night club/bar, and a few others so there is stuff that is close by.

We stayed a few nights and the location was perfect. It is about half way up the east side of the island, which is quiet and not crowed at all. There was the coconut shopping center that shared a parking area with the hotel and had almost everything we needed including a small market, tourist shops and some small fast food kiosks. Just up the road there is coffee and several small restaurants.

The beach is just behind the hotel and ended up being one of the most beautiful we saw but swimming is almost out of the question. Perfect to stroll and take pictures and there are pool chairs scattered around that were great to watch the waves from day or night.

The property was manicured with flowers and exotic plants everywhere. The staff was so nice, and we had zero issues with getting any help or items we needed. The room itself was in great shape and looked out over the ocean. I think for sure it would be worth the extra cost to get an ocean front room. There was plenty of hot water, beds were clean and comfortable, and the air conditioning was a life saver.

The pool was nice, but we only got in once because there is just so much other stuff to do. The tiki hut serves drinks and was cool to see open with the tiki torches lit as well.

Room tip: Get a oceanfront room, they are more attended to and its wonderful to wake up overlooking the water!
Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank travelpanthers
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Excellent location, beautiful grounds, and very nice room.......BUT two big drawbacks. Parking is at a minium, but the biggest annoyance was, after prepaying, we were informed when we got here there would be a extra charge of $15 a day for internet and some tv game, whether we used it or NOT. Also they advertised a safe in the room, but if you use it, that too is an extra charge. We picked the place based on price, and had we known it would be $150 EXTRA, we may have chosen another place.

Room tip: No elevator, so if if stairs are difficult, be sure and get a ground floor room.
Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Stargleam
itsumi, General Manager at Aston Islander on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Aloha!

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor. We look forward to reading these to help us improve on our facilities and services.

The parking continues to be a concern for our guests who choose to rent a car while vacationing on Kauai. We have secured additional parking at 2 locations adjacent to islander on the Beach. I do hope either the front desk or security assisted with your parking needs.

The $15/day amenity fee charges include - in room wireless internet, daily newspaper, coffee/tea, free local & toll free calls, safe use and access to the DVD kiosk for your use.

Should you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

With warmest aloha,

Tel: 808 823-7600
Fax: 808 822-1947

sandi.kato-klutke@astonhotels.com

Reviewed 10 January 2013

I spent 2 months of the summer here. So glad this is the place I was at. Perfect location, close to good food and on the beach. My room was had a beach view and I was only about 100 feet from the water. I stayed in one of the rooms that was maintained by the property staff. And what a great staff they were. Always friendly, accommodating, and caring of any concerns or issues that arose. I got to know the front desk staff well and even the contracted out security staff, we would sit around and talk endlessly about the Island, the food, and my family back home on the mainland. The rooms were quite nice with the condo feel, I especially enjoyed sitting out on the lanai enjoying the sun and sounds of the surf night or day. The property was well maintained and I made good use of the BBQ grills by the pool. But the staff was the shining star there, and when I left there were actually tears in their eyes. I was told I was to come back and bring my family next time, because I was now ohana with them (part of their family). This was my first visit to Hawaii, but won't be the last, thanks for making it a great experience.

Date of stay: July 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank the-cosmo-traveler
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed here for our 25th anniversary, it was beautiful, we stayed in one of the ocean front
300 rooms, can't remember the actual number, but it had a stunning beach view!! It had fridge
& microwave. The property was well manicured & great walking path on the beach. No room service, but very close restaurants, maybe 1/2 a block away no streets to cross, washing machines on grounds. Great farmers market in parking lot, during the week, wait till it is about to close & you can bargain on the fruits. Great pancake house good pricing , think it was called Benedict's .
Front desk was courteous & kind. Note about the beach thick sand, might want carry water shoes, as there are lots of rock in the water, but great swim on the calm days. I give this place 4.5 stars & would go back again. Also tip shop Costco for kauai cookies you can get it by the case, & mountain thunder & kauai coffee avail there for less money.

Room tip: 3rd floor oceanfront rooms awesome
Date of stay: September 2012