“Terrific Getaway and Great Location”

Plantation Hale Suites
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Kapaa
Palm Desert, California
“Terrific Getaway and Great Location”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Our recent stay at Plantation Hale last February was really great. The Front desk staff was friendly, courteous, accommodating and greeted us with smiles upon arrival. They explained the layout of the Hotel, nearby pools and gas grills for guests to use. The Concierge/ Activities desk staff was amazing, especially Hilli who arranged a variety of activities for us during our weeklong stay (would definitely recommend the Blue Dolphin catamaran sailing trip). They also have an extensive DVD library as well when you just want to stay in and relax for the evening.

All the rooms are suites and nicely appointed with a kitchenette completely stocked to accommodate 4 guests. Our suite was recently renovated, and very well appointed with 2 full size beds and a very nice bathroom. From our 2nd floor (bedroom & living room) room we had a direct view of an open field looking directly onto the beach. Great walking trails along the beach, and everyone we meet along the beach were very pleasant… you could tell we all were on vacation and everyone was in the Aloha spirit. Thank you all at Plantation Hale for making our stay special, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SpeedyHollywood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Reviewed 4 March 2012

My fiancé and I recently stayed at Plantation Hale Suites. Wow. Coming from California, it’s hard not to be blown away by the amazing beaches and surrounding national parks (the hotel is ideally located for both), which is why the overall service and amenities were even more notable. Really everything we were looking for in our week-long vacation was provided through the hotel. There is an activities desk right on the property, and when we weren’t exploring the island kayaking/ hiking/ snorkeling (side note: the drive to Poipu with the tunnel of trees was unreal), we felt right at home in our suite. The staff was extremely friendly and courteous throughout, going out of their way to make us feel at home. In fact, we decided to stay in one night and have a “vacation from our vacation”, grilling Mahi-Mahi from the local seafood market right in our yard, and then watching a movie from a surprisingly large DVD library. We also ate at the Hukilau Restaurant one of the nights. I’m usually pretty skeptical of resort restaurants, but the food and service was incredible (and did not feel like a tourist place, which I hate).

Even though it was a Hawaiian vacation, we were still trying to be somewhat frugal. For a beachside property (Waipouli Beach is right across from the hotel) with large suites, full kitchen and a BBQ to boot, Plantation Hale was a killer deal. I saw on line the hotel offered rental cars, we called and got a better deal than available through any of the car rental companies we searched.

Overall, Plantation Hale Suites was a great experience and highly recommended. A special Mahalo to Mercy, Priscilla, and our housekeeper. We will be back…..

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BruinMaverick
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
DearBruinMaverick, We are thrilled you and your fiance enjoyed your time with us. It is our goal to make our guests feel like they are at home. Thank you also for acknowledging Mercy, Priscilla, and our housekeeping team....I will share your comments with them. If I may make a suggestion, the Hukilau caters incredible weddings. Thank you so much for your kind words and your patronage. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Aloha...
Colorado
Reviewed 2 March 2012

To start our stay, the front desk woman advised us that she would try to get us an early check in. We walked around the neighboring Coconut Market for a couple hours and didn't hear from her. We went back to the desk and she was helping a woman who did not have a reservation. She got her a room and checked her into it early (at this point it was about 2:00 and check-in is at 3). She then acted like she had no idea who we were, but told us our room was not ready. We ended up getting our room a little after 3. It turned out the the lady without a reservation was in the room right next to us.

The rooms here are old and run down. We had two small double beds, so we couldn't even sleep together. The beds are very hard and we woke up sore every morning (we are in our 40s!) The A/C unit was old and noisy. It is in the bedroom with a vent cut into the livingroom. There is no access to a beach unless you drive a couple miles. There are 3 very small pools that we didn't use, but they looked clean. The best thing about this place is the Coconut Market next door. We walked through the shops, bought souvenirs and ate there several times. The Fish Hut was awesome for inexpensive fish and chips.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank cologiggs
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear cologiggs, I am disappointed we did not meet your expectations. Our number one goal at Plantation Hale is to take care of our guests. As you can see by the reviews, our guests love the staff, and location. At check in we were simply trying to honor your requests for an early arrival, and an upgrade to a King bed with a scenic view. We did try however February is the height of season. The guest that was checked in prior to you is an owner, we were only issuing a key to her suite. The unit she owns is not in our rental pool. In Hawaii, all beaches are public, the resort is only 100 yards from Waipouli Beach, it is very visible and accessible. There is a walkway along the beach in either direction that is quite beautiful. I do agree some of our AC units are noisy, we are replacing several units per month. We do hope you will return as a guest. Mahalo for your business.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I loved the hotel marvelous location across from the beach. Their staff was so friendly that I felt warmly and truly welcome. I was also amazed by the huge suites with full kitchens very impressive, I felt right at home.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Enrique A
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here in February 2012.

The rooms are spacious and reasonably well-appointed, with two televisions (one for the lounge and one for the bedroom) with 38 channels including Nikolodeon and Disney for children.

The lounge/dining area was large with a three-seat sofa, armchair and a table with two chairs.

The bathroom is large with plenty of bench space. The shower is very hot and has moderate pressure.

The bedroom was also large with plenty of drawers and hanging space. The beds are comfortable though the sheets, which are not fitted sheets, seem to come out of place easily, bunching up here and there. The mattress was moderate in firmness and the pillows are on the soft side. In my room there were two double size beds, each with two pillows.

The kitchen was a bit of a let-down. We could not find any kettle or any saucepan! I am sure these would be made available on request but I just used my camping equipment. The stove top and oven are positively ancient (dates to around 30 years ago, like many aspects of the room). I only used the stove-top so I cannot vouch for the oven but the stove-top generated a lot of heat fairly fast (for an electric). My main complaint about the kitchen would really be the lack of basic saucepan and kettle.

The location is good and bad. It is outside downtown Lihue and furthermore downtown Lihue is not walking distance unless you have a lot of time. The Coconut Village is just across the road though and there are various shops, bars and eateries there -including the Fish Hut which is sensational. About 15 minutes walk away are two supermarkets, one whole-foods type food store, two or three drug stores and McDonalds, plus one 'ABC Store' (these stores are variety stores and sell, among other things, souvenirs, liquor, hats, T-shirts). At any rate I highly recommend renting a car on Kauai, since public transport is fairly limited.

The customer service is OK although I was puzzled as to why their tourist information desk does not stock the official map and travel guide of Kauai, especially given that the information bureau is a decent 10 to 15 minute drive away in downtown Lihue. Essentially their tourist information is just a booking agent: for example, the staff member I dealt with had literally no knowledge of the Kalalau trail. Also, the staff member was puzzled when I asked for a map of downtown Lihue! Indeed, the tourist information at this resort didn't have a map of Lihue! Given that Lihue is a proper town (i.e. many streets!) I was very surprised by how put out the staff member was that I might want a map. I recommend just going to the visitor information bureau in town: they have a wealth of information including information on the Kalalau trail. Also, the staff there seem more in tune with what independent travelers need to know.

Finally, I am sad to say that although I thought this resort was lovely and good value, I could not recommend this resort to a friend due to the very strong smell of cigarette smoke in my room. I tried leaving the doors open and using the air-conditioner, but I came to realize that the smell was in the furnishings: the couches, the curtains, the cupboards. I hadn't gotten asthma for twenty years but I had to go out to buy Ventolin after my first night here. I wondered if I had been put in a smoking room by mistake but when I asked at reception they said all rooms are non-smoking. But the rooms are at least 30 years old and I think they still smell from the days of smoking in hotel rooms. I am a pretty chilled out traveller and I was in south America for a year but even in Argentina, where very many people smoke, I never had this problem! So I think the resort should consider investing in new curtains etc, as the smell is definitely in the furnishings. But if you are not too sensitive to the smell of stale cigarette smoke don't worry about it, the rooms are lovely and clean and the resort is great value!

I hope this information helps you and happy traveling!

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Maddy1982
John D, General Manager at Plantation Hale Suites, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear Maddy 1982. Thank you for your comments. We take all constructive criticism seriously. It helps us do a better job. I sincerely apologize that we dropped the ball on some very simple service issues. We just recently made the resort 100% non-smoking, and have been going through each suite that was previously a smoking unit to convert them to non-smoking. Would you please let me know the unit you were in so I can inspect it personally? My email address is Jdouponce@olshotels.com. Your kitchen should have been fully stocked. I will share your comments with the appropriate departments. You will be happy to know as a result of your feedback we will focus on cross training our staff with the Concierge and Activities Desk. I am pleased you you felt the resort was a good value. I do hope you will return. We very much appreciate your patronage. Mahalo.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kapaa
0.6 km away
Hotel Coral Reef
#3 of 11 in Kapaa
0.4 km away
Courtyard Kaua'i at Coconut Beach

Been to Plantation Hale Suites? Share your experiences!