Open today: 07:00 - 21:00
Review Highlights
Great day

We took the 10am tour which included a 2 1/2 mile paddle, then a mile hike to the waterfall where... read more

Reviewed yesterday
rurn0321
phoenix
Fun day out...

Kyle was our guide, really knowledgeable and friendly. He looked after us super well! Really lovely... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Elizabeth A
Cairns, Australia
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Kapaa
from US$135.20
from US$124.61
from US$88.12
from US$155.21
2,977 results
All reviews the river secret falls our tour guide great guide great trip dry bags water shoes own pace beautiful waterfall flora and fauna other companies a lot of fun muddy hike highly recommend this trip an adventure the entire trip mile hike
Reviewed 14 April 2018

What a great half day adventure! Kyle was a fantastic guide, easy going, quite knowledgeable, caring, and fun! The kayak was a great way to see the river, he warned us about the high mud levels and he wasn't kidding! But, he made walking poles for each of us which kept us from slipping and sliding all over. Reaching the waterfall was not difficult and a great reward! All along the way Kyle would tell us about some of the history and wildlife and plants in Kauai. We would highly recommend this!

2  Thank Galen K
Reviewed 12 April 2018

My boyfriend and I signed up for this hike. I was looking for something exciting but not too strenuous since I'm by no means an avid hiker. We ended up signing up for the kayak + hike to Secret Falls trip, which was INCREDIBLE! The kayaking felt pretty smooth, there was incredible scenery. The hike was MUDDY which made it EXTRA FUN. My boyfriend covered himself in mud. Besides being muddy and at times slippery, the hike was level and not too difficult (also had incredible scenery). Our guides Shana and Lisa were super cool and knowledgable- they helped me feel at ease. The waterfall was beautiful and intense since it had rained a lot. The water looked brown which I was concerned about- but we both got in for a swim anyway (showered asap and didn't get sick or anything). I would absolutely recommend this trip.

Reviewed 11 April 2018 via mobile

Great active way to spend a day and experience wild Kauai. We went the day after four straight days of rain, so the hike was properly muddy, but Kayak Wailua and their great staff properly prepare you for and inform you about everything you need to know for this trip. And I loved the mud. I think they could sell this as a mud hike adventure it was so fun.

Tip: even after their feet were already muddy, a lot of people were still trying to avoid mud. They were going slower and putting themselves at risk of slipping and falling. Just embrace the mud. Be the mud. The safest & most stable line is right down the middle of the mud. Your feet & ankles get muddy. Big whoop. Go with it and have fun!

Another tip: Kayak Wailua’s website, in the FAQ section, cites Keens as an example of good foot wear for this trip. But the moment you get there, the guides steer you away from Keens, and for good reason. The mud gets in a little too easily, and there are little rocks. I spent the whole day in Keens and was fine, but I’d recommend bringing an old pair of running or hiking shoes that will forever after be stained brown to some degree, or use their free loaners.

Finally, a big shout out to our guide, Brandon, who was super knowledgeable, very funny, and full of what he called useless facts about Hawaii that are actually very interesting. It was really nice to have a guide tell us what is good, bad, and show us the best way to the falls, and back to the boats and home.

Btw, you are kayaking on the river the sea plane takes off from in Raiders of the Lost Ark. The whole river valley feels very Raiders / Jurassic Park. Very enjoyable.

Have fun!

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Our family of 5 with varying kayaking is experience did this tour today on "the wettest day of the year.” Lisa and Shana were our guides and both did a fantastic job, were patient, provided lots of information and good tips to make the day perfect. They provided free loaner shoes which we were happy about. We brought our own water shoes but with the mud, sturdy shoes were helpful. The views at Secret Falls were so worth all the slipping and sliding in mud! We highly recommend using Kayak Wailua and recommend the early tour before it gets too crowded. Thank you!

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I decided to be a little adventurous while Honeymooning in Kauai. We could not have picked a more perfect activity to partake in! First of all, it was a 3 minute walk from our stay. Our tour guide Lisa, was not only knowledgeable about the river and mountainous range, but had a positive and wonderful personality. She took her time to teach us the ins and outs of kayaking and how to easily deal with the very muddy mountainous terrain. You cannot beat the surrounding scenery. Most importantly there's no better staff to do business with. Everyone we interacted with was very kind and accommodating from start to finish! P.S if your coming during this time of year be sure to bring an old pair of sneakers you don't mind Getting muddy or leaving behind as it is extremely muddy on the trail! If not, don't worry. They have plenty of shoes on the property to borrow.