50 people are viewing this hotel
US$1,028
Free cancellation until 27/06/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Priceline
Hotels.comUS$1,028
Lol.travelUS$1,070
Trip.comUS$1,174
10,292 results
All reviews ocean tower dolphin quest hilton waikoloa lagoon grill the big island kona pool chinese restaurant kamuela provision company fish boat ride buddha point dolphin pool huge resort boat service kpc restaurant dolphin encounter water slides
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 April 2021

We loved this resort. It was large, tons of pools, very clean and beautiful. Lots of dining options and a tram to get around. The waterslide was fun. Loved the lagoon. Great experience for our family with a 4-year old.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 28 April 2021

In spite of pandemic they made us feel safe and secure as well as welcome. The pizza with the thick crust in the Nui was to die for. They also had generous portions of our food to take out. Our Korean burger in the Lagoon was unusually tasty and cooked perfectly. We had a great time watching the dolphins and seeing turtles in their lagoon. The grounds are beautiful and loved the waterfalls.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 28 April 2021

This is my first time visiting this Hotel, and honestly my last. This hotel is massive, and has a beautiful view but not what I expected. I called back in March 2021 and asked if they offered an all inclusive beverage and food package for my family of 5, while I was told they did over the phone only to find out as I get there that they DO NOT offer such thing. First night, HORRIBLE experience as we traveled over 13 hours to get there and every restaurant inside was no use to us. The restaurants had either closed or had some sort of issue in the kitchen and we had to starve that night (FYI I traveled with three children the youngest 5). No variety of drinks, or food so be prepared to eat the same thing everyday unless you rent a car and get to experience the variety of good inexpensive places that the nearby locations have to offer. Also, the Marketplace (about 20min walk) has variety of grab and go food and a small restaurant inside that you can enjoy more. Also if you have small children DO NOT let them swim in the kiddie pool/lagoon connected to the big pool by the Makai tower, it smells like urine! I went into the lagoon and never again, I came out of the water itching all over stick with the pool if you have sensitive skin. Let me not forget the package I purchased had complimentary late check-out if available and let me say they DO NOT value you that. Do your research, there's other great places, rent a car, and there are excursions that you can do yourself and save a few bucks. Lastly, security here is barely seen which is worrisome to me.

Room tip: Rooms on Makai Tower have the most view, active environment, and birds chirping which is beautiful to me.
Reviewed 27 April 2021

Sadly, this hotel is a faded jewel from its past glory with many amenities run down or not operating. After a nine day stay, it's truly hard to believe they charge the rates they do and then insult us with a high daily resort fee.
First, it's important to realize the scale of this resort. It is massive. Really massive. I believe the main walkway interconnecting the buildings is over a mile long. I believe there are 1,100 rooms spread among a half-dozen buildings. So, picking the right room type is critical to avoid long walks to get anywhere. Luckily, we had booked a room in the Makai tower building, which seems to be most centered between the main pool and lobby exit. Strangely, there is only one exit from the complex to the parking lot and that is through the lobby. So, you are constantly going through the lobby to do anything, and then the long walk from the lobby to the equally massive parking lot. From the close Makai building to the parking area is a 15-20 minute walk depending upon kids and gear load. So, don't forget anything back in the room! I'm really not sure why they don't have an exit directly from the Makai building to the adjacent parking lot -- instead they make you walk all the way back to the lobby to then walk outside back to in front of the Makai building on the other side of the fence.
Second, you really need to get to the parking lot often since there are few restaurant options. I believe the website showed 9 place to get food, but there was only ONE restaurant, the Nui Italian Restaurant. Occasionally, the Lagoon Grill with oddly limited menu was sometimes open for takeout hours but very hit or miss during our nine night stay (our room looked directly down on it so we could observe it), and it never appeared that any one ate outside on it's minimalistic tables. We tried going three times during posted open hours and it was closed. The two coffee shops where open for limited hours, along with limited hours for some pool bar service and lobby bar service. The two coffee shops are crazy expensive with $6 for a cup of coffee and $9 for breakfast sandwich. Also, the hotel did not offer any room service of any kind. So, you really need to drive out for breakfast, lunch and dinner off resort, which becomes very tiresome to walk often to the distant parking (no valet service either). I do have to mention that the staff at Nui Italian Restaurant was exception, especially Jo Anna.
Third, I'm guessing that the rooms where only half filled but the pools were very, very crowded. Make sure to get a pool side chair before 9am otherwise you'll be sitting on the concrete. They do have reservable cabana chairs with an umbrella, but those are not included in the crazy resort fee and I believe were an additional $50 per day each (if you do go that route, try to get the one next to the waterfall which has a private hot tub). Oddly, the main pool doesn't really have a view of the ocean, so you're either getting chair with pool view OR ocean view. Which leads me to my fourth point...
Fourth, there is no ocean access. Yes, you may have an ocean front or ocean view room, but you really can't access the ocean. So odd that after 30 years, they never provided access to the ocean. The coastline around the resort is all lava rock and they have blocked access to the lava rock with scrubs. It's so odd that they blocked access through the scrubs to the lava rock. I'm not asking for a beach or anything but it would sure have been nice for them to have build a dock or even just a metal ladder off the lava rock down into the ocean. There is one staircase at the far southeast end of the resort near the abandoned KPC restaurant that was required by the state to access the fisherman trail along the coast, so it is technically possible to get down to the lava rock without bushwacking through the shrubs. But water entry for snorkeling is pretty sketchy. And, yes, they do let you snorkel in the manmade lagoon, but the swimmers kickup the sand so the water is very murky after 9am.
Fifth, speaking of the lagoon, there are some watersports available in the small lagoon. They have paddle boats and paddleboards, but they are not included in the resort fee like at every other resort. I believe these were an additional $100 per hour per boat. We couldn't find a game room (inside or outside). It would have been nice for the resort to provide cruiser bikes to explore the variety of paths and bike lanes in the Waikoloa Resort community especially since you had to leave the resort in order to eat. It was tiresome driving everywhere multiple times a day.
Sixth, there is a bizarre train running across the resort connecting the buildings. It goes the speed of a brisk walk and makes many very long stops. We mistakenly took it once. Even the resort staff told us several times to avoid taking the train since you can walk places faster. It looks like in the past there was also a boat running in the murky channel next to the train, which I can't imagine went any faster.
Seventh, the room itself was average or slightly below average. The bathroom needed updating and the shower tub was kind of gross. The water pressure was marginal and the toilet seat was broken. The Kurig coffee machine and provided coffee was horrible (at $600 a night I would like a Nespresso machine please). The patio chairs were marginal (it would have been nice to have more than 2). Skip the TV and provide a microwave especially since there isn't much food service.
We booked a room here mainly because it had the largest pool on the island and has a slide (very slow). The pool seems ideal for pre-teen kids.
If you do stay here, I would recommend to keep it to under three nights to avoid boredom and fatigue. I would recommend the Makai building close to the lagoon/ocean. I has ground floor rooms facing the lagoon but have foliage obscuring the view or look directly into the semi-closed Lagoon Grill. It has ground floor oceanfront rooms (floor 1) which look directly at the crowded main pool with limited ocean view but you can walk out to the pool more or less. It has ocean front rooms (floor 2-6) with good ocean views. And, best of all, it has Oceanview rooms on floors 2-6 which have both ocean views and lagoon views (avoid floor 2 & 3 due to obscured views, and try to get a high number floor 4-6 for best view of ocean, lagoon AND dolphins).

Room tip: Makai Building Upper Floor Oceanview (not ocean front)
2  Thank World_Journal
Reviewed 26 April 2021 via mobile

We’ve been to Hawaii a few times and decided to take the whole family to the big island.
Not one glitch! Everyone was overly helpful which made us more calm coming in. Carole who takes care of the events went above and beyond helping to make us 6 adults a baby happy. She gets a gold star from all of us ⭐️

Trip type: Travelled with family