3,209 results
All reviews infinity pool resort fee hawaii calls the big island ocean view corner room glass bottom boat fish hotel restaurant pools and hot tubs king's shops open hours cabana room self parking food court sea turtles breakfast buffet
Reviewed 7 November 2018

Realize this is a fairly old resort with lots of updates. It is not a luxury resort to be sure, but depending on your price, it may be a decent value. When I stayed in early November it seemed like very low season and I paid $160s for a resort view room. If you can get it below $200 per night, there's a lot of value in this place. Also, I would view for myself personally, the upper limit of what I would pay (except at highest seasons) is around $300 for this quality of resort. If you pay more than $300, the value/quality starts to become questionable in my mind.

I like the Resort View room just fine. It was not facing parking or anything else objectionable, and in fact had some ocean view from the lanai. In fact, looking around the layout of the resort, I think they avoided any rooms that face the parking areas (in direction of center of island - mountains), so actually none of the rooms have a terrible view.

The beach is relatively poor quality with rocks/coral stopping easy access beyond 20 feet out. The water is murky. There aren't really any waves to speak of, so no wave fun to be had. The sand is a bit rocky and not crystalline or white (as at Mauna Kea resort for example). So the beach is a let down. It's also a bit of a 3 minute walk to get to the beach, and beach is closed off by a gate after 7pm. To compensate, there are interesting fish ponds...be sure you look for the fish! I saw lots of fish in the ponds. If you walk over on the pathways by fishponds to the far south end of the property, I found lots of wild cats over there. Some of them were friendly....just FYI if you like to see/pet cats. Also around the hotel property (including drinking out of the pools) were the native Nene. I think they just happened to be there, not placed by the hotel or anything. It was nice to see them hanging around.

They give you two drink coupons as part of justifying the resort fee...FYI, if you inquire with bartender/waiter nicely to ask "what is the Waikoloa sunset punch?" they will probably offer you (as they did me) to have a mai tai instead if you want that. I had a mai tai and it was excellent.

Perhaps it was my timing in early November, but I found plenty of pool lounges (including in umbrella shade) to go around. Even arriving down to pool by 9am or 9:30 or even 10am, there were still available lounges that weren't in "Siberia" either. So it was nice not to feel required to run to the pool first thing in the morning, or to go down there and "save" lounges with books or other stuff. I do think the pool towel card system is a little tacky, but it worked okay. Their literature also mentioned wristbands required for pools, but I barely saw anyone wearing a band. Some people certainly walked in from neighboring homes or hotels to use the pool facilities, and lucky for them wristbands were not being looked at or enforced whatsoever.

The hotel location is very good, especially if you want to come there by taxi and not need a car. There are two malls within easy walking distance (this is rare on Big Island resorts), including some restaurants, a food court, and a grocery store (albeit, a very tourist oriented high priced grocery, but nonetheless it will work).

Parking fee of $21 additive to resort fee seemed excessive. When I was there, the parking lot was not very full.

One thing you will find perhaps annoying is the "vacation club" presence that seems to dominate part of the lobby area and also is a focus of the staff trying to get you interested in this. On the last day, they left a prepackaged voicemail on my room phone (phone did not ring - they just placed it into the VM directly), and then on that last night they also slipped a paper under my door with more vacation club encouragement to take their special offer. I found it tacky and bothersome.

So in conclusion, it's a nice enough resort depending on what you pay. The price could be as low as "non-resort" hotels like Holiday Inn Express type places, and in that situation, it's a super bargain because you really do get resort type facilities and layout here, albeit the place is older and has been through many facelifts to try to spruce it up.

Room tip: Resort View rooms do not face parking or anything (they are therefore, okay)
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank ryans69
Debbie T, Exec Assistant at Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2018

Aloha Ryan S, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. On behalf of the Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, please accept our thanks for the positive comments and our apologies for the challenges you experienced during your stay with us. All media posts are reviewed with our staff to see where we can improve, so rest assured that your feedback is very important to us. The beach is not actually part of the hotel and the land owners have limited the beach access during the evening hours. We’re glad you were able to see some of the local Nene or Hawaiian Goose during your stay. They are actually a federal protected and endangered species that were on the brink of extinction. They are making a comeback and we’re happy to have a few of them stop by every now and then. Wristbands are required at our pool. We will look into this to make sure all policies and procedures are in place. We agree that there are some great stores and restaurants at the Queens Marketplace and the Kings Shops, both within walking distance. Once again, thank you for the detailed review and we hope you were able to enjoy some of the many wonders of Hawaii island during your time here.

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

We arrived at this hotel and were told that the standard room is 2 double beds. We asked for free upgrade to King or even queen as per their "my time" promise. The answer was no, it would be an extra $50 per day. We then waited for our room past standard check in time but received no resort credit as per "my time". Using a debit card for charges was also a major effort since they wanted a credit card.
We got to our room and the shower was not very clean and no shower curtain so water splashing everywhere drenching our towels.
Concierge was wonderful, facilities and location are brilliant. We also went to a Lua here which was very well done.
It's a shame that the issues with front desk and the room tainted our otherwise great holiday on Big Island.

Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

The hotel is amazing for its bars, pools, beach access.
It is surrounded by trees, old lava and the beach.
The room was very comfortable and modern. We really appreciated the pleasant personnel and the restaurant nearby.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

We just completed a 6 night / 7 day stay at this property over Halloween week. The property is updated, clean and well staffed. Everyone from the front desk team to the bellman were top notch and ready to help. The hotel is beach front and the beach is clear and a great swimming beach. There is a pool for everyone - kids pool with beach and slide and heated infinity pool for adults. The food on property was very good with many off property options not far away

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank tymike
Reviewed 2 November 2018

My fiancé and I were in Hawaii to get married. We should have stayed at a different hotel. The wedding planner Marriott recommends was not very good but very expensive. The hotel put us in a room with 2 full beds knowing we were getting married. They were not able to change our room for the first few nights. The hotel menus had almost no vegetarian options for me, it was very frustrating for my husband. Even the little cafe for breakfast said they could remove the meat from their pre-made sandwiches for me. For their prices, they should be making the food to order and have more diverse menus for different diets. We did not see any gluten free meals on their menus either. They charged an arm and a leg for a meal under the stars for our wedding night, apparently they do not normally offer something like that. We later saw that the Fairmont offered what we wanted for 1/3 of the cost!! The fairmont also had a diverse menu with way more vegetarian options. The Hilton near by also looked like a nicer hotel than the Marriott. This Marriott was a disappointment and seemed really behind the times. Also their beach is rocky, not good for swimming and too cloudy for snorkeling and you can not go to the beach after 7pm, it's gated.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sonia L, Front Office Manager at Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2018

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey. It is appreciated when valued guests take the time to let us know where we have met their expectations, as well as areas of improvement. On behalf of the management and staff, I would like to personally apologize for the challenges you experienced with our dining menu options during your stay with us. I want to assure you that we do take all feedback seriously and all surveys are reviewed with our staff and management to see where we can improve.

Once again, please accept my apologies, thank you for the review, and I invite you to contact me directly should your travels find you in beautiful Waikoloa.

Mahalo