Hale 'Ohu Bed & Breakfast(Volcano)(Great Value!)
US$177
US$168
Aloha Crater Lodge(Volcano)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$180
US$148
Orbitz.com
Book now, pay at stay
US$163
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$188/night.

Chalet Kilauea(Volcano)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
Volcano Village Lodge(Volcano)
US$520
US$378
Ainani Jade Ohana Hotel(Volcano)(Great Value!)
Travelocity
All reviewsthe kitchenelectric blanketsfruitnational parkthe big islandliving roomwonderful hostsgas fireplacevacation rentallarge bedroomlocal informationking bedfelt like homemin drivethree nightsmain roombreakfast food
Reviewed 7 October 2011

My wife and I just spent a week at Crater Rim Cabin celebrating our 60th birthdays and our only regret is that we had to spend one night away because we went to Kailua-Kona for a luau and didn't want to drive back late at night. Jim and Barry are wonderful hosts, with many great suggestions of places to see and things to do that will keep you fully occupied with wonderful and historic sightseeing. The cabin sits in a paradise of flowers and rainforest on a private and quiet road. It was immaculately clean, and so warm and cozy to return to every evening that it felt like home. It was kept well-stocked with fresh fruit and great freshly ground coffee. We spent several days hiking throughout Volcanoes National Park, so it was great to just drive a short distance back to CRC to clean up and relax before going out for supper, then back to VNP for some spectacular evening views of the lava glow from Kilauea's inner crater. There are three very good places to eat in Volcano, so don’t be put off by reviews that say there aren’t. And, there are lots of other spectacular natural sites and historical places to visit within reasonable driving distance. If you love nature's beauty, this is your place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2011

My husband and I were fortunate enough to spend 3 nights at Crater Rim Cabin. It was even better than we thought from looking at it and reading about it online. We felt like we were in a lush forest of our very own, right on the edge of Volcanoes National Park. Barry and Jim were the consummate hosts, helpful, yet unobtrusive. Barry had all kinds of helpful information to give us about what to do, where to shop, where to eat. (Thanks so much for telling us to view the volcano at night! We wouldn’t have known to do that and it was such an incredible sight.)

We were made completely at home by Barry’s welcome, feeling like we were greeted by an old and dear friend. The cabin itself is a delight -- cozy, incredibly immaculate with charming accessories and furniture. (We loved the mirror above the bathroom sink that is actually a window!) Quiet music and lighted candles greeted our entry. We were completely enchanted and relaxed in a heartbeat.

The grounds are magnificent and I spent lots of time looking at and photographing the plants and flowers. Benches are placed so you can sit and enjoy the surroundings. If we had had more time, I would have asked for a “tour” to find out what all the plants were!

After hiking in Volcanoes National Park for two days, we enjoyed a late afternoon, just reading and relaxing in the cozy living room. It was perfect. The kitchen was well-stocked with breakfast items and fresh fruit; the bed was soooo comfortable and the electric blanket was truly welcome when we crawled into bed on the chilly evenings.

There are lots of brochures and tourist information in the cabin, plus videos on Volcanoes National Park and books on hiking trails, history of the area, flora and fauna -- a treasure trove of interesting and helpful information. We certainly made use of it. Thank you for all of that!

Barry and Jim thought of everything to make us feel at home in the cabin. We simply hated to leave and are looking forward to another visit. And, it was obvious from the care given to the cabin and grounds that this isn’t “just a rental” to them. A truly special place.

Mahalo.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SierramomCarefree
Reviewed 31 August 2011

WOW! What a wonderful place ... we had a great time in Volcano, mostly because we stayed at the Crater Rim Cabin. It was tucked in the rain forest ... everything was so green and lush. There were windows throughout the house that brought the outdoors in. My daughter and I were so tired on the second day, we went back to the cabin and sat in the backyard and read. It was so peaceful and relaxing ... even my 10 year old read for 2 hours!

Barry made such an impression on our family ... he is so kind, pays attention to detail, and is the best housekeeper I have ever met! His floors were immaculate ... I dropped a banana slice on the floor and was tempted to pick it up and eat it! I couldn't resist asking Barry for "tips" on his cleaning supplies .... the wood floors sparkle.

The food, at the local markets, is pricey ($11 for a gallon of milk), so it was very nice to have a well stocked cabin ... fresh fruits, juice, cereal, milk, eggs, bread, the best "homemade" jam, coffee, teas, and some condiments. We made breakfast each morning and it was yummy!

I read a prior review that there was no blow dryer in the cabin ... I packed one just in case. No need to have packed ... Barry had a blow dryer in the cabinet!

It was so awesome arriving to the cabin with fresh flowers on the porch, in the kitchen, on the dining table and candles lit in several places in the house. Everything was so welcoming and smelled wonderful!

Barry - you are awesome! I've never met a more hospitable person than you. We really enjoyed the short time we were with you! Thanks for the fresh lemons (request of my daughter) and for all the wonderful things you did to make our trip so special!

One last thing ... we loved our lunch/dinner at the Kilauea Lodge & Restaurant on Old Volcano Road. They serve delicious food in a warm atmosphere. We loved our lunch so much, we ordered three lunches to go. We took them home and heated them up for dinner that night (we didn't want to leave the cabin!). The food was delicious ... It was definitely one of our favorite meals on the island. All six meals (and, three drinks) were less than $75!

Can't wait to return ...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank 3OCAMIGOS
Reviewed 18 August 2011

There are many delightful comments to say about this cabin that Jim and Berry rent out in Volcano, but my expectations based on the TA reviews may have been too high. Crater Rim Lodge, while nice, isn't perfect. Jim and Berry are so nice and helpful that I wish I could give the place a 5. I have to share how I feel, however.
The welcome treat was very nice and enjoyable. I like that touch for sure.
While Berry and Jim are wonderful hosts we at times felt like we didn't have as much privacy as we would have liked especially given all the activity around the place during the day.
Berry was helpful with places to hike and places to go during our stay.
The interior of Crater Rim Lodge is clean and well kept, but nothing more than I would expect staying at any B&B or nice hotel.
Had my expectations been a little more in line I may have enjoyed the place more. It is a good place to stay, but it isn't like the hotels on the other side of the island.
The village of Volcano is nice, but I wouldn't want to be stuck there.

Room Tip: Only 1 I could see.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Salads2Go
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I can't even begin to say enough good things about our fabulous 3 days (2 nights) at Crater Rim Cabin. We were greeted by Barry and Jim (the owners), and my husband and I were immediately made to feel like old friends. We actually arrived a little early, and they were extremely kind in letting us drop off our things, change clothes, and eat lunch on their gorgeous property before heading out for some activities.

Barry was full of suggestions about things to do in the area. We were minutes from Volcanoes National Park, a winery, and an orchid garden, all of which were a lot of fun. We did some hiking and sightseeing in the park, and we had 2 excellent dinners at the lodge in town. We also drove south to the green sand beach and to the southernmost tip of the USA. It was gorgeous down there - It felt like the end of the earth! It took the better part of a morning, but it's very driveable/accessible from Volcano (1 hour if I recall correctly? Ask Barry - he'll definitely know!)

Barry takes great pride in keeping the cabin spotless. I would eat off the floors it is so clean, and I wouldn't do that in my own home! I was so impressed! The breakfast supplies were perfect. We even made banana and honey sandwiches for a mid-morning snack!

Oh - and did I mention the dahlias? Jim grows dahlias bigger than your head in all sorts of mesmerizing colors. I was blown away by the beautiful property, it's convenient location, the wonderful owners, and the cozy, dreamy cabin. I would love to return one day!

FYI, we also spent one night in Waipio. It was gorgeous, but there is MUCH less to do up in Waipio. If you are debating where to stay on the Big Island, definitely choose Volcano over Waipio, and just spend a day (or part of a day) driving to Waipio to see the valley.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple