other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

glennagre...
McMinnville, Oregon
“A stay in rural Hawaii”
Reviewed 18 February 2012 for a stay in February 2012
people found this review helpful

I was looking for a rental in a less touristy area with easy access to the natural wonders of Hawaii and found that in this rustic location. I like to take walks early in the morning and enjoyed my rambles both around the little town of Pahala and into the countryside beyond it's near borders. The location also affords easy drives to Volcanos National Park, or the black sand beach, Punalu'u. Explorations further to both coasts are also easy.
There are drawbacks, however. There are more roosters in this town than people, I believe, so, light sleepers, beware: bring earplugs! There is not a restaurant in town. The cottage is pleasant, but not perfectly spotless, so if you need absolute cleanliness or are terrified of insects, this might not be your place. Cockroaches grow really big in Hawaii. The Wifi is spotty, at best, so don't expect to be able to always check your email when you want, or watch movies online. Out of my week long stay, I could connect on parts of three days. TV is very limited. I don't watch much TV so that was OK, but there is also no good reading light in the place after dark. I acknowledge that this reading light problem is pervasive in rentals and hotels everywhere. Why? The bed was too hard for me, so my first day there, I drove to Walmart in Hilo and bought a memory foam pad for the bed (and those earplugs). Problem solved, but it cost me time and money. I left it there, so thank me if it helps you. The owner didn't.
Overall, I will say "yes" on the recommendation button, but with reservations.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: rural location
Liked least: Not just the constant noise of roosters, but knowing that they are kept for fighting, as no one keeps a dozen roosters on short leashes in their yard for pets.
Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
16 Jul 2016
We have improved all of the above as our business has progressed. Hope you return and give us another look. However, we are still a country village, a safe, walkable village with, yes, pigs, goats, chickens, dogs, cats and horses going by, farmers processing coffee in their yards.. Not a white rug condo, that's for sure. The volcano is spectacular in recent weeks. Will double check on the reading lamp issue.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing