All reviewsakaka fallsquichethe big islandbotanical gardenscanopy bedtropical decoreach morninghilo areaplantation stylebreakfast was deliciousbreakfast areajacuzzi tubhuge showercovered patiofrench toastlovely lanaibed and breakfast
Reviewed 19 January 2018

When I saw photos of the Palms Cliff House Inn I knew this was where I wanted to book my stay on the Big Island. It is built and beautifully decorated in the old plantation style of architecture. I spent a lot of time during my childhood in Hawaii in the 50s and 60s, and I have memories of staying in old family homes back then. Palms Cliff House Inn reminds me of those homes.

My husband and I arrived after the reception office had closed at 5 pm so the keys to our room were left in the mailbox. We stayed in the Paradise Views Suite which is up the stairs on the second level. It has a stunning view of the lush grounds, palm trees and the pacific ocean from the lanai. We fell asleep every night with the sound of the ocean and slept well on the comfortable king bed. It is so quiet that all you hear at night is the ocean and the chirping frogs. I might add that from the jacuzzi in the room you have a view of the ocean as well.

Our hosts and all the staff were warm and hospitable, and we ate lovely breakfasts every morning on the lanai off of the main house. Not far away is one of the most amazing botanical gardens I have ever seen - The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden in Pāpa'ikou.

My husband and I prefer the Hilo side of the island for it's lush vegetation, fewer tourist resorts and less vog from the volcano. If you are a person who likes to stay in an elegant, old style home, far away from tourists and crowded beaches, this might be the place for you.

Room Tip: Our room was fabulous - room 8.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robin P
Reviewed 18 December 2017

Beautifull secluted inn nearby very busy Hilo. Great beautifully landscaped and terrific breakfast with an ocean view. Large rooms with high end furnishings. Would love to visit again. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are air conditioned
Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

Our second week-long trip to The Big Island, we decided to spend a couple of nights on the Hilo side. We choose this attractive B&B because it’s a bit out of town (Hilo is definitely NOT a resort Mecca) and based on other’s reviews.

Our room was large, clean, and comfortable. We had one full breakfast, which was delicious, and we were accommodated with a pleasant late-morning continental breakfast on another day because we were away for a pre-dawn hike to the lava flows.

All the other B&Bs we’ve stayed at were owner-operated, and it’s always fun to chat with them to learn about the home and their business. Here we were greeted and attended to by a paid worker. She was quite pleasant and helpful, but we missed the usual “owners touch.”

All said and done, we recommend The Palms Cliff House for your stay in the Hilo area.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay! The place was charming, clean and so peaceful! Exactly what we needed to start our big island getaway!

We stayed for 2 wonderful nights. Our beds were incredibly comfortable. Both mornings we were greeted by our friendly hosts with a nice warm breakfast!

If you want to treat yourself to real serenity this is a great place! Highly recommend it!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2017

My husband and I stayed at the Palms Cliff House Inn while we visited Hilo as part of our honeymoon. It was wonderful! We loved sitting on our private porch watching the sunset and the jacuzzi tub was divine! The breakfast is great, unique every day and served outside on the wrap around porch so that you can enjoy the scenery even more. As other reviewers have mentioned, the wifi was spotty...but we didn't mind as we weren't trying to use it that much.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple