Hotels.com
eDreams
ZenHotels.com
Destinia.com
Hurb
All reviews akaka falls definitely stay here again one night hilo balcony bathroom
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 November 2020

I was looking for a last minute room in Hilo or anywhere nearby. I saw availability for this inn. Since it looked like it could be dated and it didn't specify that each room has a private bathroom, I kept looking. During these times with COVID, I'm just not comfortable sharing a bathroom with strangers. I booked at another place but ended up changing my plans and needed another night in the area and the place where I was staying was already full so I decided I'd spend one night at Honomu Inn. I wish I would've stayed here from the beginning. The rooms are extremely clean with their own bathrooms, and the inside looks like it was recently remodeled. The innkeeper was ALWAYS available and accommodating. It's very close to Akaka Falls and I visited Mr. Ed's Bakery a couple of doors down (many write ups on him and his business - very genuine gentleman). Overall, it was a great stay. I'm planning on coming back to the area and will definitely stay here again.

Room tip: If you're bothered by the sound of frogs, opt for a room at the front of the building.
Date of stay: November 2020
2  Thank liz g
Reviewed 25 July 2019 via mobile

I love this very modern white theme decorate room. The room is very clean with balcony, shutter window. The inn keeper Robin is so friendly, it is a nice choice for solo traveler. Location is only few mins away from Akaka Falls, also easy to drive to Hilo town and Botanical Garden. I will stay there again.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank kellyjean37
Reviewed 26 May 2019 via mobile

Love this little gem of a hotel. The rooms are just like the pictures. Spotlessly clean and brilliantly white. The inn is super quiet and in a great location. You feel like you’re in a remote part of Hawaii but you’re only a 20 min drive from Hilo. Private lanai off our room. Really comfy bed. Very helpful innkeeper. Wonderful breakfast assortment. Will definitely stay here again! New favorite place on the big island.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2018

The Honomu Inn is a lovely B&B sharing the true spirit of aloha. It is located a short distance off the beaten path in the small village of Honomu. This is a slice of true Hawaiian life. The Inn is quaint yet updated beautifully. The staff invites you in as if into their own home, welcoming, helpful and accommodating. A great little getaway.
Thank you Honomu Inn, Lina and Mitsuko for a wonderful experience. We will definately be back.

Room tip: Most rooms have a small outside porch area.
Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2017

I was mapping a bicycle ride around the Big Island and planned to stop in Hilo for the night. Fortunately, Hilo was all booked up (holiday season) and we had to look at areas close by. I say fortunately because if Hilo wasn't all booked up, we never would have found this excellent place to stay!

The Honomu Inn is in a tiny town called Honomu around 11 miles outside of Hilo, it's really just a main street on the way to Akaka Falls. There is a short boardwalk with a few shops sharing the building with the Inn, it looks like something out of an old western movie. The Inn itself is brightly painted and welcoming, 2 stories and I think 10 rooms max. The downstairs area is a combination lobby/reception/snack bar and all of the rooms are on the second floor.

The room was surprisingly modern, must have been recently updated. Tankless water heater, nice tile bathroom, a/c. We had room #3 which has a small balcony with ocean views but we didn't use it at all since it was just a place to rest/sleep at mile 126 of my 260 mile bicycle ride!

Downstairs was a large (shared) refrigerator, a microwave, and some coffee/tea/snacks. We put our leftovers from dinner (Hilo Cafe Pesto - see other review) there for the night and took them with us the next morning.

Peggy was the Innkeeper and was very pleasant to deal with, you can tell she really takes good care of the Inn and wants to make sure the guests are treated well!

One last note, I would have given 5 stars but... (there's always a but...) there were two minor nits: the tankless water heater was having a hard time catching up with my shower, I could hear it kick on and the water would get hot then it would kick off and the water would get cold - I had to keep jumping out of the way of the next blast of hot or cold water :P one other thing was in the middle of the night, one of the smoke detectors went crazy and kept beeping for what seemed like hours.

Overall, excellent place to stay near Hilo.

Room tip: Room 3 faces the ocean!
Date of stay: December 2017