2,090 results
All reviews coconut island ocean view queen's court seafood buffet banyan trees mauna kea the big island banyan drive liliuokalani gardens japanese garden bit dated beautiful park national park close to the airport an older hotel ken's pancake house stayed one night
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

If you are thinking of visiting Hilo or Volcanoes National Park this is a great central place to stay!

The hallways and certain areas take you back to hotels of the 70s/80s but inside, the room was large, clean with effective A/C and very comfy beds.

Also, their cafe is open all the time (I think) and had great coffee/snacks available. We got breakfast to go the next morning from Queen's Court before our flight and were pleasantly surprised by the portion and quality of the food. They also did a great job packaging it for us with all the condiments/utensils included and things in different boxes so they did not get soggy.

It's across the street from this park which is a beautiful place to relax and read a book or have a picnic. They also had plentiful free parking.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Megha A
Reviewed 3 October 2018

When I planned my vacation to Hawaii Island for early September 2018, my plan was to stay at Honu Kai Bed and Breakfast (Kailua-Kona) and then, halfway through the vacation, transfer to Volcano House to tour Volcano National Park. Fate had other plans (the Eastern Rift eruptions). So I asked the folks at Honu Kai where I could stay on the Hilo side, and they said when in Hilo they always stayed at Castle Hilo Hawaiian.

I had a wonderful stay at this hotel. I slept in a clean, quiet room. Each night, I enjoyed a fruit smoothie at Waioli Restaurant downstairs (Matthew made it just the way I liked it). Each day, I took a walk in nearby Lili'uokalani Park and Gardens. Local tour vans will pick you up right in front of this hotel on their way to Volcano National Park and other local attractions. Castle Hilo Hawaiian is in a beautiful location on Hilo Bay, has a spacious parking lot, and there are many nearby restaurants. The front desk staff and concierge go out of their way to be helpful.

Many first-time visitors to Hawaii Island wonder if they should just base themselves in Kailua-Kona (or Kohala) for their vacation, or also book lodging on the Hilo side. I suggest the latter. Hawaii Island is nicknamed the "Big Island," and it is big! Additionally, the Kona and Hilo coasts are entirely different. The former, on the leeward side of the island, is a desert with a lava landscape. The latter, on the windward side, is lush and tropical. I was grateful I decided to stay on both sides and immerse myself in both locations.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2018

Very good hotel - rooms lovely and ocean view very nice. The only thing missing is having a safe in the room for valuables. We were swapped to this hotel after the Volcano House Hotel where we had planned to stay was closed. It's a good hotel with good service, friendly staff and good facilities. Nice restaurant on site and plenty of parking. Good location.

Room Tip: Ocean view if you can stretch to it
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pole2Pole_Images
Reviewed 3 October 2018

The staff is very friendly and helpful. It is in a very busy but quiet area. The hotel has a little age and could be renovated some but it is adequate. They offer free parking which is essential because parking can be challenging at times.

Stayed: September 2018
Reviewed 2 October 2018

Mahalo to the staff and management for putting us up during Hurricane Lane, when the roads were closed off and we couldn't get home to Volcano. Thank you for checking for rooms when we needed it. No one else gave us the time of day but your staff went the extra mile and found us a room for the night...oceanfront no less. Mahalo!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family