Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
US$114
SAVE US$4
US$114
SAVE US$4
Agoda.comUS$118
PricelineUS$118
Orbitz.comUS$114
All reviews our tour guide the big island mauna kea summit great tour nice beaches common areas living room laundry facilities free coffee rainbow falls full kitchen mini fridge laid back farmers market arnotts hawaii glory
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 December 2020

I was part of the group with 30 college kids, and although the experience was amazing, I did have a few issues with the lodge. Firstly, the pictures do not show fully what the apartments look like. All rooms at Arnott's are made up of a living room and two bedrooms, but the living room also has two beds in it. I slept in the living room, given no privacy or space to store my clothes. It also will only be air-conditioned if the doors to the bedrooms are open. I became close with my roommates, so my initial issues became less of a problem. I bought drawers and a hanging rack to store my clothes, but I ended up losing money because I could not transport them back home, it would have been nice for Arnott's to provide more amenities for people who stay in the common room. The kitchenette had no oven, which is disclosed, but the fridges are very poor quality and are only meant to hold a very small amount of food. It is not meant to be used to hold food for four people for three months, and it did cause us several issues throughout our time there. We actually bought a separate mini-fridge, because the Arnott's amenities were not adequate. If you were traveling by yourself or in a smaller group, you would have to rent the entire space that can hold 5 people in order to truly have privacy. The walls are very thin throughout the entire lodge, but especially in apartments as well. The staff at the front desk was great, but many of my peers had issues with the owners, Doug and Glory. It mostly stemmed from them inviting college students to stay there for 3 months and expecting them to not act like college students. We took the Mauna Kea Summit tour with Arnott's which was very enjoyable, but was priced a bit too high for what it is, in my opinion. Overall, most of the complaints I have are things I can deal with, but I think it is important for the Lodge to be more upfront about what they offer.

Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank babybattleaxe
Glory Arnott, General Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2020

Aloha! Mahalo for staying with us. We appreciate that you have tried to provide a more objective critique.
If you feel as though you were misled about the layout of our suites, we suggest you discuss it with Pacific Discovery. They were aware from the beginning of the layout of our rooms and what we had available in terms of amenities. We generally do not provide a large amount of storage space or large-sized fridges because our standard guests are short-term guests, and the benefits would not outweigh the negatives. Your group was not the type of group we would normally accept, especially for that time frame. We have hosted plenty of college groups in the past for short terms stays with no issues whatsoever.

We did not expect you to not act like college students, but we do have to consider liability from our end. So no, we could not allow underage drinking at our hotel and we were responsible for following state laws regarding COVID. If you wished to be treated as responsible adults, you must act like responsible adults. This is especially important now, during a worldwide pandemic. Our only rules regarding your behavior involved maintaining your bubble, following state and federal law, and following our basic lodge rules which included no smoking in your rooms, maintaining quiet hours out of consideration for our neighbors, and etc. We were assured by Pacific Discovery that your group was focused on study and there would be no partying and you would comply according to our county and state COVID guidelines. We pushed the mask-wearing on our premises out of a concern for the safety of yourselves and others. It was clear that we had to be the enforcers of state laws in this case because your group leaders appeared to be unable to take control of the situation. We did not want to diminish your experience as a student but we did intend to keep you and our staff safe.

Thank you for your comments on our Mauna Kea tour. We already offer the lowest rate for this tour on the island, and we gave your group a substantial discount. Our tour is the best value to be had and we are happy to hear that you found it enjoyable.

Thank you for your time with us.

Reviewed 7 December 2020

I have traveled all over the world and stayed at all different kinds of places. This was by far the worst experience I've ever had. They gave us the impression that we would all have either single rooms or a room with two twin beds. It was an unfortunate surprise when I walked in and saw that one of my room mates was having to sleep in the living room with no privacy what so ever. Only the bedrooms had ac units which they don't allow you to turn below 72 degrees. This was a huge issue because even when leaving the bedroom doors open for air circulation, the rest of the apartment would still be muggy and make you feel like you need to take shower. On my first day there I had to kill more flies than I had to in the past year. The bathroom doors have about a 5 inch gap between it and the floor giving you minimal privacy. The hot water wouldn't work unless you showered in the morning. Before we came, the owners, Doug and Glory gave us their word that the WIFI would be strong enough for all students to sufficiently attend their online zoom classes. Frankly, they knew it was not strong enough and just wanted our money. The first day I came, Glory was immediately being extremely hostile and rude. I didn't see this lady smile once over the course of three months. My friend left the door open one day by accident and you would not believe how cruel Glory was to him. He was a genuinely sweet kind hearted boy and kept apologizing and saying he wouldn't do it again. She continued to belittle him and went as far to say, "You're really stupid for someone who is in college!" Even after she had got her point across she continued to yell at him creating a scene.
Doug was sexist and would say many things that were not politically correct. When talking about the washing machines, he described them as "washing as well as an old indian woman." When giving instructions on the fire extinguishers he specifically said, " This is a fire extinguisher, most boys know how to use them and most girls don't." I thought he was being sarcastic at first but he continued on with these un-professional and disrespectful comments.
After spending thousands of dollars to stay there, we were treated as if we were a burden to them. In the rooms there was a scarcity of silverware and dishes which were extremely low quality. They then gave us a list of things at the end that needed to be in our apartments when we left, many of which weren't there to begin with. After the rough experience of staying there for three months, the rude owners made every person leave their room by 11 am. Many kids did not have flights till the night time and were forced to sit outside and wait even though Arnotts did not have any other guests coming that day. Two weeks after our small group of college students left, they sent out emails charging some rooms up to 1500$! Insanity. One of the rooms was charged 300$ because they had decorated their outside back wall with removable chalk. Something that can be easily washed away! Arnotts is a corrupt business with rude and unwelcoming hosts. The fines they gave out made it seem like we put holes in the walls and stained all the carpets. They saw the chance to upgrade their old run down facility and took it. The location is also too far from the town to walk so they would charge us 5$ a day to use their run down walmart bikes. The chains would constantly fall off. One time my friends chain fell off on his way back to the lodge and was still pretty far away. The bikes had to be back by 5 pm and even after my friend called and asked if Glory or someone could pick him up, she was the opposite of empathetic and snapped at him making him walk it back and still be back by 5 o'clock with no exceptions. Another friend of mine fell off her bike and her bike helmet broke, but to no surprise Glory made her pay for a brand knew bike helmet even tho It served no protection to my friend. If you are looking for a relaxing trip to Hawaii, you're looking in the wrong place and on the wrong side of the island. There is nothing at all to do at Arnotts lodge or anywhere near it. Homeless people walk by with their shopping carts and the entire area outside the lodge smells like sewer water. If you sat in any chair in the common areas, it would either be soaked in lysol or covered in fire ants. My girlfriend sat on one of the couches and got a huge rash on her leg which we later learned had happened to our other friend previously. Over all I am extremely disappointed with the way I was treated and disappointed that this business tries to get every dollar out of you that they can. DO NOT STAY HERE! I REPEAT, DO NOT STAY HERE!

Date of stay: August 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Hi Justin, we always appreciate hearing from you. It's interesting that no one had anything negative to say about our lodge until you received the bill for the damage you caused to it.

The impression you were given by Pacific Discovery regarding your room layouts is not our issue. They knew ahead of time exactly what the layout of the rooms were, and they chose where to place you and how much to charge you. They chose to place students in the living room to save money. We had nothing to do with it. If you have issues regarding the cost of your stay, I suggest you take it up with them.

The bathroom door does not have a 5" gap below or even close to that. That you need to exaggerate so dramatically in order to gain credibility says a lot about the rest of your review. Additionally, as noted in another response, our general manager Glory did not call your friend stupid.

Your rooms were inventoried before you arrived, and inventoried after you left. You were provided an inventory list. If anything was missing you had ample time before you left to replace it on your own. There should be no shock or surprise now that you have received a bill for lost or damaged items. Additionally, we sent the bills for all the damages to Pacific Discovery one week after departure, after we had time to catalogue the entire huge list of damages that your group caused to our hotel. It is not our fault that they waited another week to pass them on to you. If you have issues with the cost of the damages and who they were assigned to, I suggest you talk to Pacific Discovery. We billed them for the damages. It was their choice to pass those bills along to you.

Your friends with the "removable" chalk graffiti depicting foul language and other garbage on our walls left it on so long that it was UNABLE to be washed off because the pigment in the chalk stained the paint on the wall. If it was so easy to remove, maybe your friends could have tried to remove it themselves instead of leaving it along with a massive mess which included blood smeared on our walls for our staff to clean.

Our bikes are maintained in good condition and were provided for your use at a steep discount because you were part of this group. All students signed our waiver indicating that they understood they were responsible for checking the bike before they left the property and bringing the bike back on their own in the event of an issue because we can’t always be available. However, on the day you have brought up, it should be noted that Glory had no communication with that student at all, AND another staff member offered to go get them once their meeting concluded, but the student was able to make it back on their own.

We have plenty of photo evidence documenting not only the damages caused by your group to our hotel, including holes in the walls and stains on the carpets, but also the state of the rooms before you arrived. It's amazing that our "old run-down facility" did not have those holes and stains before you arrived and now magically, they are there after you left.
Perhaps in the future you can show a little more respect to your hosts instead of partying every night in our rooms and then acting shocked and leaving negative reviews full of false information because your group was billed for the damage they caused. Have a nice day.

Reviewed 7 December 2020

Arnott's Lodge is the perfect place to stay if you enjoy a small, run down, at best mediocre room, coupled with hostile treatment and disrespect from the owners. My stay, along with 30 other college students who were promised a full kitchen, sufficient wifi, and their own bedrooms were immediately met with the opposite. The kitchens have no oven, no toaster oven, no dishwasher, 2 mini fridges, and a foot of counter space to meal prep on. We were provided the bare minimum of kitchen utensils (some guest did not receive a single sharp knife) and the number of silverware and plates for how many people were staying in the room. So we only received 4 forks, knifes, spoons, cups, and plates non of which were matching. The MINI (smallest I've ever seen) fridges broke several times, and were replaced by "new" already broken. fridges. Honestly seemed like they just cycled the faulty ones around because we received one with duct tape holding it together, which then burst and leaked of course. The living room doubled as the "bedroom" for my friend who paid the same as those who got an actual room with door. The wifi was horrible the first month, and when asked to keep working on it the OWNER essentially said "tell the students to shut up, I am done spending money on it", despite being the one thing we were guaranteed seeing as we were all college students enrolled in online classes.
I would say good morning to the owner, Doug, and he would quite literally just snarl/ growl in return. They lectured our group multiple times for over 15 minutes on how to FLUSH A TOILET so it doesn't get clogged, and they assumed we did not have any idea how to clean or use a laundry rack (mind you we are all 18 or older). We also had a cleaning inspection towards the end of our stay which I found bizarre because it is not the PAYING GUESTS job to worry about that. We then received charges for "damages" to our room, such as 60 dollars for worn-down threading in a comforter, and other things that just happen over time when old/ not properly maintained.
The only nice people I remember were the two ladies who worked at the front desk. Specifically Sarah, who was always very kind and helpful towards me.

Forgot to mention I have washed my clothes a few times after returning home, and have yet to get the classic Arnott's Lodge funky smell out of them.

Room tip: don't stay here it is a waste of money.
Date of stay: September 2020
1  Thank heathermoran24

Aloha Heather! Mahalo for bringing up these concerns to us that you failed to mention, at any point during your stay, until you received a bill for the damage your group did to our property.
What you were “promised” in regards to our facilities had nothing to do with us. We made our accommodations completely clear to Pacific Discovery and they knew down to the smallest appliance what we had available for you. If they told you something else, you should take it up with them. If you have an issue with what your friend paid for her accommodations compared to what you paid, I suggest you discuss it with Pacific Discovery. Arnott’s Lodge had exactly nothing to do with determining how much each student paid for their trip. We rented bulk space to Pacific Discovery and they were responsible for determining how much they charged you and for your rooming assignments.
Arnott’s Lodge spent thousands of dollars to upgrade our wifi for your group. We had no way of knowing ahead of time if the wifi we had would be completely sufficient, especially considering that each person had 3 or 4 devices active at any given time.
The only thing you did mention to us during your stay, which was that one of your fridges was not working correctly, is a bit over-dramatized here. Your mini-fridge broke a grand total of one time, not several. We made one attempt to fix it, and when that didn’t work you were given a brand new mini-fridge directly out of the box. There is no need to exaggerate.
Your cleaning inspection was requested by Pacific Discovery. We did not ask for that and were not planning on asking for that. If you have an issue with having a cleaning inspection, I suggest you talk to the company responsible for it, which is not us.
We apologize if you felt unwelcome at any point during your stay, but it seems as if most of your issue is actually with things that are Pacific Discovery’s responsibility, and not ours. We invite you to discuss it with them instead of attempting to bash us on online. Mahalo!

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND:
Arnott's lodge agreed to let 30 college kids come stay and take classes at their lodge for a program. During this time the owners and majority of the staff were obsessively rude to us. Our trip was very expensive and we were ridiculed everyday and treated like the biggest inconvenience. Our rooms were not cleaned once in our 3 month stay there and then we got charged up to $1,500 for cleaning fees, which was mostly crumbs and trash left in the apartment. We were college kids, taking college classes, we were not there to clean up every little crumb and mess we made. We were there for 3 months, Arnott's lodge should have expected some wear and tear, especially to their old, gross, and musty, accommodations. Arnott's lodge is the worst place I have ever stayed, if you are looking for somewhere to stay in Hilo, I would suggest you keep looking because this is not the friendly, carefree environment you want while staying in Hawaii. Also a few more things, Glory (one of the owners) called my roommate stupid and harassed him because he forgot to close the door to our apartment.They also scammed a bunch of students who believed they were going to be staying in a room, but they ended up having to sleep, and live in a common area that was used by 3 other people for the entire trip. These students paid the same price as the students who had their own rooms (with a door)!

Date of stay: August 2020
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank sarah1234456799076

Aloha Sarah; mahalo for your time. We understand that receiving a bill for the damage you caused to our rooms might make you feel like you needed to go online and slander us.
Pacific Discovery was charged fees for cleaning and damage because you left your room in a state of filth that took well beyond our normal turnaround time to clean, and because you left holes in our walls and chunks of paint were removed. That goes beyond normal wear and tear.
You were provided the ability and materials to clean up after yourself and you chose not to do so. Per agreement with Pacific Discovery, you would be responsible for cleaning up after yourself as if you were living in a dormitory. If this was not made clear to you or you were told something different, it is not the fault of Arnott’s Lodge. If you expected a 5-star resort for your stay, I suggest you discuss it with Pacific Discovery. Arnott’s Lodge makes no secret of what we offer.
Our manager Glory did not call you friend stupid. Your suite was asked repeatedly over several days to close the front door when you left the suite with the AC on. After repeatedly failing to do so, she told your friend that as a college student he should know better. The word “stupid” was never said. If his feelings were hurt by that, we apologize, but there is no need to pretend we said things that were never said. This interaction was witnessed by our staff as well.
Arnott’s Lodge had nothing to do with the cost of your trip or your rooming assignments. If you have an issue with those things, you should take it up with Pacific Discovery. The price for your trip was set by them. The room assignments were determined by them. They knew well ahead of time what our room layout was and what we would provide. We certainly did not “scam” you.

Reviewed 24 February 2020

Your guide, Big Island Tour of Hawaii, Todd was excellent, this past weeks cruising the islands on Norwegian made my second time in Hawaii another great vacation. However, Todd’s depth of knowledge on the volcanic damage was impressive. Based on my experience with Todd, I would gladly want him on my next time vacation as my guide.

Date of stay: February 2020
Glory Arnott, General Manager at Arnott's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2020

Aloha!! We are so pleased to hear that your second time here was great; thank you for the opportunity to be a part of your return trip. We love hearing that Todd was able to share his wealth of knowledge with you in such a way as to encourage you to come visit us again. The great news is-we have many options available for exploring the island, as well as lodging options to fit a multitude of incomes. Whether you visit us for your third trip or every trip, we invite you.
Mahalo Nui Loa!! A Hui Hou!!!