1,040 results
All reviews double tree lobby bar parking situation self parking breakfast buffet view of the bay merrie monarch housekeeping staff the big island nicest hotel ocean front the open air lobby national park banyan drive rental car japanese garden ken's pancake house
Reviewed 6 October 2018 via mobile

Great location - banyan drive is quite lovely

Everyone is exceptionally friendly , happy and helpful
Service is A+
Quality of a 5 star resort

Love the lobby area - every evening had high quality local entertainment

Balcony in the room overlooking the ocean with crashing waves was fantastic - I will miss this for weeks

Bathroom was spacey with nice Crabtree and Evelyn products

Well manicured grassy grounds right on the water featuring crashing waves

We watched turtles feeding every morning from our balcony and enjoyed watching the locals fish off the rocks

Nice art and artifacts throughout

So why the average rating?

It needs updating -

Walls and fixtures in rooms have seen better days

Hallways to rooms are white and bunged up- the same with the elevator lobbies on the floors. Why these don’t have wallpaper and some Hawaiian color-I will never understand

Lettering is missing in elevator lobbies

Elevators are so slow they became a joke with the guests

Our room was missing a table

Very little clothes storage

Seating in the room is awkward

Water in shower does not get very hot

Balcony could be a stunner if the paint wasn’t chipping and the railings rusty

Lamp in the room was rusted with some sticky tape near the switch

The lobby bar has no ambiance- it looks like it was an afterthought- mostly because the fireplace area is such a showstopper

Pool- not inviting

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
John-HiltonHelp, on behalf of management at Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2018

Dear AroundtownCT,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We truly appreciate your feedback and are very sorry for the conditions encountered throughout our property. We will address your comments with our team as we work to improve our guest experience. Your input is genuinely helpful, as it is the first step in identifying areas where we can better our guest services. We hope you will come visit us in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

We traveled to Hilo for a family weekend. As former Hilo residents, we have stayed at the Naniloa many times. At times very shabby but we love the location and service. We were so disappointed by this stay.

When I arrived with a 2 year old and 4 year old in tow, we could not check into our room due to a malfunctioning lock. After an hour in the lobby, they were still 'working on it'. Requesting another room did not work because they wanted to keep the two rooms we were renting on the same floor. Talking with a manager did not help. She seemed confused and helpless. I finally called some relatives in Hilo who took the children to the pool. After one hour and 50 minutes in the lobby, the lock was fixed.

The room was clean, except for the refrigerator which had cookie crumbs and a water bottle left from previous guests.

The food was overpriced and very bad. No room service. Not wanting to drag the toddlers to a restaurant, we called in an order for pick up. We had asked what was in the seasonal fruit as the children are picky eaters. We were told pineapple, melon and grapes. I went to pick up our order which took 30 minutes longer than promised. The fruit consisted of honeydew melon, a few tired slices of papaya and 2 grapes. When I asked about the pineapple, I was scolded and told that it's seasonal, meaning it changed every day. I guess it changed in the hour since we inquired.

The hotel store with a tiny area for snacks hidden in the back did not stay open past 7pm,

In a town with virtually no paid parking, $20 day to self park is excessive. The parking lot quality has not changed since the days of free parking. Talking to other guests, this is a big dissatisfier.

When we asked for an extra 30 minutes to get checked out, we were told that all of the late check out opportunities were gone????

Positive: The rooms are clean and bright. The staff is unfailingly friendly, especially the valet staff. We were pleased to see so many local people employed.

Overall, this hotel is not ready for the Doubletree brand. It does not meet the standards of other Doubletree locations. The staff seems afraid of making a decision and clearly has not been given permission to accommodate guests. Many areas (store, port cochere) are still undergoing changes.

We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank PeggyS1122
Denise-HiltonHelp, on behalf of management at Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2018

Dear PeggyS1122,

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 1 October 2018

We choose this hotel for our staying in Hilo. Easy to reach from the airport. the room was spacious with stunning view on the harbor.
We travelled a lot along the island and it was nice to go back to the hotel and relax by the swimming pool. The breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
EdG1539, Manager at Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback! We enjoy the views of the harbor just as much! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights and was looking forward to our room, a Junior Suite. As soon as we arrived we were met by noisy and heavy machinery excavating the hotel lobby entrance. When we asked the valet about the work we were told that they didn’t know till that day it was happening and then told we would be charged $20 a day to park either in the hotel or across the street. When we went to pick up the car the next day they had shifted the car pick up to another part of the hotel. This happened a few times. I chose this hotel in part due to the facilities such as the bar but this was 5 metres from the construction zone. Ok, moving on!

The lifts are notoriously slow, one out of order for the entire stay. Had to use the stairs for the most part. The room was ok but a little dated and definitely not what is represented in the website’s photos. No room service of any description and no information in the room as to restaurants, laundry, gymnasium or general ammenities. We had to phone up for all advice and not always provided with information as some staff were unsure themselves. On a more serious note the lamp in my room had a metal piece out of the electrical plug that I was lucky not to touch. When I informed them I was told it would be taken care of immediately. No one came so I had to unplug and remove my self. I left a note outlying my concerns but no comment or even a replacement lamp.

The pool is very small but adequate although the place where you get your towel closes really early. It took a few goes at getting the right information as to where the towels could be collected.

With all this said the majority of staff where very friendly, but clearly not always armed with the right knowledge of what happens in the hotel. Clearly management need to invest in staff communication and training. Overall the hotel is comfortable and in a good location.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
John-HiltonHelp, on behalf of management at Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Dear Auscat11,

We regret that we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve during your recent stay. We strive for unparalleled service delivery at our hotel, and we are always looking for ways to ensure that each guest experiences the very best we have to offer. We believe that very best service experiences are genuine, anticipatory and personalized and we will continue to work to ensure our guests find that level of service at our hotel. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our training processes, and we hope you will return to stay with us to experience the results of that work firsthand.

Reviewed 22 September 2018

The hotel is quite nice after the recent renovation and the staff are really super, but there was no free buffet breakfast like all the Double Trees I've stayed at on the mainland. I gather there was a happy hour but I missed it so I'm not sure if they do the usual appetizer thing either. One particular annoyance is that they charge $20 for Valet Parking and the same if you park yourself in the lot across the street. It's not Manhattan, please... Plus, the sign informs you that it's only $5 for the public to park there. Perhaps not the best way to make the guests feel special... I got the feeling like the excellent local staff isn't getting the support they should from the corporate level. Nitpicking, I wasn't crazy about the B&W Hula dancer photos everywhere --- it didn't feel like genuine Hawaii somehow, a little too soft focus and posed.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
John-HiltonHelp, on behalf of management at Grand Naniloa Hotel Hilo - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2018

Dear decookeman,

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your honesty as we look for reviews to provide insight and constructive feedback regarding our hotel’s service and amenities to better our guest experience. We welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again.