The Bay House
US$176
US$197
Arnott's Lodge(Hilo)(Great Value!)
US$92
Hilo Bay Hostel(Hilo)(Great Value!)
US$113
All reviewspalm roomprivate lanaihot tubyogurthard boiled eggseach morningharbour roomcommon roomthe big islandbed and breakfastdowntown hilosound of the wavescovered parkingbreakfast breadsenglish muffinsocean breezefive minute walk
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Went with my fiancee this year (2012) in April.

It is a great house with good parking and close to Hilo. We stayed in the Palms room, which very clean and comfortable (especially I liked the private terrace and the spacious bathroom). Breakfast was plenty and healthy. Only minor drawback are the frogs at night, that are pretty loud, but since the bed was very comfortable, I had no problems to fall asleep.

The location is excellent for day trips to Volcano, Hilo, Waipio Valley and Puna. As it rains a lot, umbrellas are provided...

Tina, the owner, was the real star. We had a very nice conversation and she even gave my girlfriend two presents when it was her birthday.

Would go there again, Mahalo

Room Tip: Palm room is a little bit noisy due to the frogs at night
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Max L
Reviewed 8 April 2012

A 5 star isn't enough. It was our second stay in Hilo. By-pass the Hotels for real Hawaiian elegance. The breakfast was an epicurian delight, with wonderful fresh fruit and breads.
The location is perfect, close to the water and a short walk to town. The rooms were very clean and fresh. Lovely decor. Tina and Tom are friendly and helpful. Hope to be back again in the future.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Tina and Tom are very welcoming to guests. My favorite aspect of their Bay House was sitting in the spa amidst a mini jungle of plants while overlooking Hilo Bay. Also, I enjoyed the highlight of fresh papayas each morning for breakfast. Most importantly, I loved that the Bay House is right next to the bay, so there was a nice breeze with the windows open each night along with the coqui frogs' songs.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Alexander W
Reviewed 13 February 2012

What a wonderful BnB. Easy to find, directions were perfect. Tina and Tom were great hosts. Answered all questions and gave good recommendations for dinner and shopping. The room was very clean and cheery with the Hawaiian decor. The soaps in the bathroom were an added bonus. I loved the nice leisure breakfast in the morning on our lanai. It was more then enough. She prepared the fruit and baked good in this nice basket. I felt like I was eating a healthy breakfast. We were ready to start our day. I was surprised when I heard the Coqui frogs. They sounded like birds not like any frogs I have heard. I would highly recommend this BnB and will stay here again should I be so lucky to come back. Thank you

Room Tip: Stayed in the Harbor room great view of Hilo Bay watching the ships and surfers.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Tina, the manager, is a bundle of joy to visit with. She puts out a sumptuous morning meal of fresh local fruit and all the fixings on individually prepared trays to take your room. All that we could want. Fresh hot coffee and linen napkins, and the other amenities, including the wonderful room are a touch above other B&B's by a long shot.

The Room we had for two nights had a view of Hilo bay and at night, the moon reflecting from the dancing water, left me stunned. a perfect place to stay when in Hilo.

John and Joy Taylor of Grants Pass, OR.

Room Tip: Corner room has a great look over Hilo Bay
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple