“Great Stop if in the Area”
Review of The Painted Church

The Painted Church
Book In Advance
More Info
US$69.00*
and up
Kona Shore Excursion: Kona History and Culture...
Reviewed 31 May 2018

Church in beautiful location with paintings inside that tell stories for people back when they couldn't read. The paintings were done in a native style and is great that is is preserved and maintained to help learn about the history if the Island!

All reviews
"for sale"
in 9 reviews
"peaceful place"

Reviewed 29 May 2018

I'm so glad I made a point of stopping by the Painted Church. It is beautiful and so peaceful. When I visited, my daughter and I were the only ones in the church for awhile. It wasn't crowded like I thought it might be. It is well worth stopping in to see the beautiful interior and relax a bit. The grounds around the church are just gorgeous - amazing plants and flowers all around.

Reviewed 26 May 2018

When we got there we were surprised to see that the church colors were not as vibrant as we expected. The paintings were interesting but the colors seemed a little bland. But when we began to take pictures we were surprised that the pics were very good. Strangely, the pictures looked a lot better than what we were seeing with our own eyes. I guess the flash made everything "pop" more.

After visiting the church you can take a little walk up the hill toward the statue to enjoy the calm and peace of the place.

I recommend a quick stop to visit this very nice little church.

1  Thank Marco
Reviewed 23 May 2018

Very quaint church in a lovely setting. Interesting at just how much of the interior of the church was painted---all of it! Time is beginning to diminish the work, but it's still quite interesting to think that these murals were painted to help teach illiterate people about the Bible. Loved the Hawaiian themed ceiling. You can purchase fruit for whatever donation you'd like out front. The winding road you drive to get here is also interesting. I would recommend that you make this stop while also seeing Pu'uhonua o Honaunau (Place of Refuge) National Park. Quite a contrast of two cultures!

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

Located appropriately on painted church road. Narrow slightly winding road, easy to find.

The church is set on lovely grounds. As you walk up to it there are souvenirs and water you can purchase using an honesty box. Perched on a small hill this lovely little white painted small church overlooks the ocean, a little hard to see because of the trees. Not a stained glass panel in sight. Palm tree painted ceilings, barber shop style red and white painted timbers lining the aisles and the murals depicting moment in catholic religion.
After looking at the church you can walk around the grounds. There are many fruit trees and are labeled so you know what they are eg lychee, tangelo, coffee etc.
looking up the hill there are 14 crosses depicting the stations of the cross leading up to a large white statue of Mary holding Jesus body.
Apparently there is a museum but we didn’t look as it started to rain so we rushed back to the car.
I was curious to see what it was like and I did think it pretty. Not sure if there are bus tours to the church but if there is make sure it includes other places of interest because it doesn’t take all that long to check it out. We had a hire car and this was a stop along the way.
May only criticism is they should of had some sort of printout with explanations of what the murals and stations of the cross meant for visitors who were not catholic.