“Definitely a good visit”
Review of Rooster Farms

Rooster Farms
Ranked #21 of 30 things to do in Captain Cook
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Rooster Farms is the Oldest Certified Organic Kona Coffee Farm; A small coffee farm in South Kona, we farm, pick, wet mill, and roast - almost every step of the coffee process - in house, right here on site. Farm tours are given daily, and are by appointment. Please call, text, or email for a tour!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The farm was very accommodating with a timing for the visit. It's a bit hard to find (involving a one-way winding and bumpy road). But once you get there, you're greeted by an enthusiastic and super friendly intern who can give you all the ins-and-outs of growing coffee at the farm. It's very personal and fun experience for the adults and kids.

All reviews
"tour"
in 5 reviews
"kona"

Reviewed 29 January 2018

Among many coffee farms in the area, I chose this place because it features fully organic farming. The farm is located high on a hillside, and the road from the main highway is quite narrow and bumpy. Because the farm employs a special organic farming technology, we had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, which was interesting. We first tasted two kinds of freshly brewed coffee then visited the farm. Because the farm is not very large, the tour is relatively short and compact. Then we bought a couple of packs of top quality coffee beans. The price was competitive with large supermarkets in the area. I wish we had bought more.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

10 of us crazy women from MN made plans with Tara to visit their farm while traveling together. We had a blast! According to our awesome tour guide, Axel, we were the most rambunctious bunch he's had on a tour. He was great at explaining the coffee farm and process to us and putting up with our wacky remarks. I've been on numerous coffee farm tours but this had to be the most personal, close up, hands-on experience I've ever had. Yep, right in their home. We came at peak season so we were able to actually taste the coffee cherries which we were allowed to pick directly off of the trees ourselves. Every woman in our group loved the time we spent there, even the one non-coffee drinker. She gave me a thumbs up and "good job!" from across the room. I'm starting a women's travel biz and Rooster Farms will be on the "go to" list for future Big Island local adventures. And, heck, the road going up to the farm is an adventure in itself. We loved it all!

Rooster F, Owner at Rooster Farms, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2017

!! Thanks so very much for coming by and for your supportive words! We appreciate it and your group was a ton of fun :D I hope your travel endeavor is fruitful and awesome :]! -Tara

Reviewed 17 November 2017

This review is a bit overdue, but necessary! Tara and Ed run a legit organic farm and are very knowledgeable. They are so welcoming that it feels like you're just visiting friends that are doing really cool stuff. The medium roasts I got to try were delicious, and it was really interesting to learn about the whole process of picking the coffee berries, to drying and roasting. Who knew coffee beans were actually flesh colored! haahaa. Highly recommend anyone that goes to Kona to give these guys a visit and stock up on their excellent roasted coffee. You'll leave smarter and feeling like you made some cool new friends.

Hi Grace! Thank you so much - I'm glad you felt the tour was informative, and yes, lots of surprising details really go into coffee! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your Hawaii visit!! -Tara

See more reviews
Reviewed 2 November 2017

I'm not a coffee drinker, only drink it when it's mixed with hot chocolate. I had the pleasure of taking a tour of Rooster Farms this week with a few friends. Tried the medium and dark roast organic coffee that they grow there and absolutely loved it! I already have some ordered and it's being shipped to my home, arriving there about the same time that I get back from my vacation. The tour of the farm was very interesting, learning the whole process from the coffee bean being hand picked all the way through the roasting process. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and fun to talk with.Tara joined us and made all of us feel right at home. The road getting up the hill to the farm is a little tricky but well worth it! I highly recommend a visit to Rooster Farms!!

Thanks Deonne for your encouraging words - it means a lot! We are beyond happy and grateful you like our coffee and liked the tour :] Congrats as I like to say, that you made up our crazy road -- it seems it certainly was worth it :D -Tara