Pomaika'i "Lucky" Farm B&B
Halemalu(Captain Cook)
US$113
Manago Hotel(Captain Cook)(Great Value!)
US$82
Kona Seaside Hotel(Kailua-Kona)
US$170
US$1,408
US$1,157
Ka'awa Loa Plantation(Captain Cook)
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 February 2011

What is important to you in a place to stay? Lucky Farm B&B has a lot of good points. The hosts were warm and welcoming. The breakfasts were quite good and included fresh fruit hand picked that morning on the grounds. We met charming people who were staying at the B&B at the same time we did. The Kona coffee was excellent. We were able to borrow fins at no charge from the inn. The location was fantastic with regard to sight seeing, and especially good for being near spectacular snorkeling places. There is at least one very good restaurant within easy driving distance, and several others that served good food at reasonable prices as well.

On the down side, the lanai was badly in need of a scrubbing up. The towels in our room were thin and dank and never fully dried out after use, and we were never offered fresh towels. The grounds were very unkempt, and had debris strewn about.

My husband and I both felt that the pluses outweighed the minuses. But since we have come to use Trip Advisor quite often, and hope to find reliable reviews, we feel we must report the bad with the good.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Abylover2
Reviewed 4 November 2010

Maybe I haven't grasped the spirit of real Hawaii, but I didn't enjoy the stay at this B&B (5 nights). If you want to sleep in the middle of a tropical forest, this place is OK. If want to see how was the accommodation of the old coffee workers, this place is also OK. But if you want a dry, clean, serviced place to stay, look for alternatives.

CONS: Pomaika'i B&B is an incredible wet place. Towels don't dry. Dry hanged clothes become damp in matter of hours. And there is not fresh towels or sheets, unless you ask for it.
You have to clean the room yourself and make your bed.
Also, you have to share the space and the bed with ants (every morning I had several crushed ants between me and the mattress as they wanted to share my bed and my weight and gravity pushed down while I was sleeping). Mosquitoes were not a problem inside the room. But beware outside.
And as there is nothing but a mosquito net on the windows, you can hear every sound from other guests and the road next to hotel (specially intense from 6 AM). Bring ear plugs!

PROS: Even with all the cons, I had a good sleep. Humidity and temperature was OK for me. But I can't stand with the damp towels from the night before and the ants.
Breakfast, as mentioned before, is good. Free wi-fi is also a nice touch.

Pomaikai location it's neither good nor bad. It's not close to the beaches or Kailua-Kona or the airport, but it's not very far.

In brief, in case I return to Hawaii, I will look for another place to stay, maybe more standard. And drier. And the price doesn't make a difference.
Maybe with a little improvement from the family managers, adding room cleaning on a regular basis and checking the rooms daily, could be a recommendable place. But currently, it is not.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sioFont
Reviewed 20 October 2010

My family and I really enjoyed the hospitality at the PomaiKa'i "Lucky" Farm B&B. The fresh fruit and fruit juices were unique and delicious. Breakfast was terrific. I really enjoyed the discussions of the botanical aspects of the fruits of the day with JP. Johnsie, the proprietor was very accomodating with our reservations, even with the picky food choices of my 4 year old daughter. We stayed in the Coffee Barn which was an enjoyable experience sleeping in a Hawaiian tropical jungle all the while safe and protected from the mosquitoes, coqui frogs and the wild boars! Captain Cooke is a wonderful town and an excellent base for short trips around the Island. PomaiKa'i is an excellent place to stay and enjoy the "Real" Hawaii.

Thanks!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank JeanneK45
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Not only was the hospitality outstanding, but John Paul (JP) and Tony played a breakfast concert for one hour that reminded me of some of the great music by Jerry Jeff Walker and Bob Wills. Our host, Johnsie fixed a breakfast that included many kinds of fruit that made me realize that I was experiencing the true Hawaii. If you want a friendly, relaxing experience, stay here! These folks enjoy making people happy.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank cwhoagland
Reviewed 8 September 2010

My family and I stayed her in August 2010. We had two rooms, the "coffee barn" and one of the garden rooms. We had a great time and it was a great base for seeing the area sights. This place is not for you if you're looking for a resort or a manicured hotel experience. It is rustic - the rooms are simple - and you are in the jungle. There are many beautiful trees and flowering plants all around you - the rooms are nestled among them - and that means that bugs love to live there too. Mosquitos and ants were around, so be prepared to deal with them. The coffee barn was very cool - you are inside - but barely - the room is part walls and part mesh so you really feel like you're in the jungle. The rooms are clean, the bedding clean, all very basic. The common kitchen is convenient mainly for the fridge where you can keep a few items. Best of all are the very sweet and charming inn keepers - a couple - who put a lot of effort into making guests happy and comfortable. They make a very good breakfast every morning, something fresh baked and lots of delicious fresh picked fruit and juice. They also had tips for great spots to visit. On our last morning our kids were delighted with a tour of the bee hive and got to taste the best bee pollen in the world and then enjoy having a song about a frog sung to them on guitar. It was great and we all appreciated the special experience. I recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family