All reviews shoulder season ride horses the main house breakfast rides per day wi fi swimming pool spent nights wranglers horseback ranch trail dude creek scenery antelope west
Reviewed 15 January 2016 via mobile

You know the go for the great outdoors, horses, cabins, swimming, great food, great staff, memories and you get it All. Then when you think you have seen it all one of the best three piece bands I have Ever seen shows up and blows you away. With Terry on bass guitar, Lee on guitar and Ron on drums this three piece sounds more like a five to six piece band. Very good. We go back Every year lol if nothing else than to see the band.. The whole family loves them plus the history within the ranch is Untouchable !!!!!
A must see and stay.

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
8  Thank ronsU7274GQ
Reviewed 20 September 2015

Overall our stay was great. Our cabin (Lauer) was very nice, right on the creek, spacious and with a large deck. The food was excellent and the young servers were very attentive. The rule about no alcohol in the dining room made no sense. That's why solo cups were invented. The horses were really pretty but they were what we call "dead heads". They had absolutely no energy. It was the end of the summer so I guess they were tired. I had read on the website that you could switch and try other horses. However my request to do this was denied. We did enjoy riding by ourselves and the scenery was gorgeous. The wranglers must have been tired too. They could have been much friendlier with the exception of Thatcher, Pete and Zach. I really enjoyed the trap shooting (we call it skeet shooting in the south).

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jeannie B
Reviewed 15 September 2015 via mobile

This was one of the best vacations I have ever taken. The staff was excellent. The food plentiful and tasty. The horses well trained. The scenery, spectacular. I have no complaints at all, in fact, only kudos!!! Thank you Eatons' for making s bucket list vacation turn into what I hope is an annual trip!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Patricia M
Reviewed 12 September 2015

We spent a week at the ranch at the end of August and had a positive experience for the most part, but there were some issues that could and should have been addressed. First I will state the good and then the not so good.

The Good: The cabin we got (Little Antlers) was spacious with lots of light and a beautiful deck facing the creek. The food was for the most part incredibly good and I can give kudos to the new chef for his wonderful creations. I am a vegetarian and he did his best to accommodate me using nice grains like quinoa and lots of fresh vegetables. My husband and son told me the meat was top quality and cooked to perfection. The staff in the dining room (especially Becky), bar (Bonnie) in the main house (Marie), and the wranglers (too many to mention) were wonderful.

The horses and wranglers were also top notch. My horse, Cody, was actually the most perfect horse I have ever ridden – smooth, responsive and sure footed and my son had no complaints. My husband likes trying different ones with personality and he wasn’t disappointed. We also enjoyed being able to ride on our own without any nose to tail riding with other guests. The highlight of my husband’s trip was to be able to wrangle the horses one morning. He said it was non-stop galloping for an hour and was completely exhausted but thrilled by the experience.

The WiFi worked perfectly fine, but you had to go to the main house to access it. The main house is very homey and inviting with lots of tables to set up a laptop on.

The Not so Good: Regarding our cabin – the ceiling fans either didn’t work or if they did, they wobbled and made lots of noise, so couldn’t be used at night, which was a shame since it was very warm at night and would have helped immensely cool us off. The majority of the hangers in the closet were either bent or broken and there weren’t nearly enough of them to hang my clothes. There were lots of crackers and other items between the sofa cushions and the cabin didn’t appear to be very well cleaned. The rugs that were hung on the wall were sagging and beginning to fall off. The swimming pool was not clean and there was dirt on the bottom and many types of bugs (including bees and spiders) both dead and alive swimming around.

The problem with riding on our own is that we didn’t know where to go and the maps that were given to us were pretty useless. We also didn’t know about interesting rides or destinations until after a few days when we spoke with the other guests who had come there quite often and recommended rides to us, like the ride to the cave and exploring the cave (a real highlight) or the long 26 mile all day ride to Walkers Prairie that was beyond fabulous. It would have been nice to have been given a list of rides and their highlights on our first day so we could decide what to do. Also, there is no all day riding every day, only every other day. Even though we were back at 1:15 p.m. one day (that was considered an all day ride!), we were told we couldn’t do an all day ride the next day. I had never experienced this type of policy at any other ranch I visited.

We didn’t know that there wouldn’t be any activities in the shoulder season which we were in when we were there. My son was looking forward to a lot of activities that were mentioned on the ranch's website but never happened.

No alcohol was allowed in the dining room. One had to go to the bar in the next building to have a drink, but you couldn’t eat there. That was a disappointment, as I like to have wine with my meal.

The bottom line is that we had a good experience that could have been a great experience with just a few small changes.

Room tip: The gold coast rooms on the creek are worth the extra money
Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank susaneobrien
Reviewed 9 September 2015

How do I know there is a heaven? I've been there. Good news is every time I leave, they let me back in. I will tell you I am biased. I have been there five times. We have taken friends , family, children, and soon grandchildren. Five generations of the family have been coming here. Everyone there treats you like you just arrived at your family reunion. My wife and I always hope that the friends we take there will feel the way we do.....we are not disappointed. Everyone gets it. It is emotional, spiritual, pastoral, and traditional western.
The accommodations are cabins, nothing fancy, with ranch decor. They have a new baker and menu. The food has gone from camp food to delux. The wildlife, the scenery....did I mention it was heaven.
Thank you Polly, TJ, Nate, Bill, Mary, Becky, Carly, Caroline, and all, for making it warm and fuzzy.

Room tip: No wifi and horrible cell service. It is time to disconnect and slow down.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family