“Positive experience”

Blackwater Creek Ranch
Ranked #12 of 30 Speciality Lodging in Cody
Reviewed 15 June 2017

Lovely place, i would go again. Rented a cabin for my family (3 adults and 2 kids). Cabins are nice, beds are comfy. Bathrooms are very basic, but usable. This is not a luxury cabin place, but a place to come and sleep after a long day out. The owners and their staff are amazingly attentive, welcoming, friendly, and simply amazing. They are very helpful if any issues arise with the cabins. They prepare a wholesome breakfast, and dinner (lunch too if required), and eating is a sociable affair. The staff are knowledgeable about the horses, and took us on a great ride.
The pool is nice (staff gave the girls pool noodles), the hot tub is lovely (not very hot though), but perfectly great to sit in and watch the sky!
Evenings are spent around the campfire, socializing with other guests and staff. It's very relaxed. Lovely porches on the front of the cabins.
One morning we were in the pool, and a momma bear and her 2 cubs were 100 meters up the road at the coral! Great location for access to Yellowstone.
There is a creek (Blackwater Creek of course!) next to the cabin site. It's very pretty, but huge care should be taken with small children not wandering to explore it. My kids are big enough to listen, but I was still concerned if I couldnt see them. At snow melt time, it is huge, fast and beautiful too.
Lying in bed at night and listening to the rushing waters of the creek was simply amazing; i have an app on my phone for that, but didnt need it whilst i was here!
Thank you so much Diane and Jonny, and the staff for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Get a cabin that is facing east. Ones facing west were dark.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
blackwatercreekranch, Owner at Blackwater Creek Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2017

Thanks so much for the great review. We hope to see you again soon!
Diana & Johnie

Reviewed 30 January 2017

We decided to stay at Blackwater Creek Ranch after reading the reviews on trip advisor and were very disappointed in our stay. The cabins were cobbled together and signs of rodents were apparent throughout the facilities. The beds were hard, musty smelling, and old. I felt as if I was visiting a summer camp yet paying equivalent prices to other higher quality lodging in the area. We were so grossed out by the cleanliness of our cabin that we debated if we wanted to stay or get in the car and leave. We unfortunately decided to stay but realized the next morning that we were better off sleeping in our car. The sounds of mice kept me up most of the night. I'm sure i goes without saying that we will not be returning to Blackwater Creek Ranch....ever.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
4  Thank Chacha F
blackwatercreekranch, Owner at Blackwater Creek Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Not having any idea when the guest stayed at the ranch, its extremely hard to respond to this review. We are obsessive about the cleanliness of our cabins and are quite upset about this review. Had the guest brought the deficiencies to our attention, they would have been addressed immediately. As we are made aware of uncomfortable beds, we replace mattresses.
This facility was built in the early 1900s and as such it is old. The cabins are closed in the winter. We completely scrub the cabins each Spring and all throughout the season.
We are in the forest so there are sounds at night such as squirrels scampering in the trees and chipmunks under the cabins.
We continually monitor our cabins for unwanted creatures and stay ahead of any uncomfortable encounters. It is unfortunate that the traveler did not address the issues with us. Its hard to correct something you are not told about.

Reviewed 9 December 2016

We stayed a Blackwater Creek Ranch for four nights, our longest stay during a 12-day vacation. What a great decision that was! First of all, the owners, Diana and Johnie, are wonderful. I talked with Diana at length when I made the reservation, and she offered us an upgrade when we arrived. Johnie highlighted the best sights for our driving tour through Cody and the Beartooth Highway. Their dog Atticus helped me get over some of my homesickness for my own dogs, too.

Thankfully we stayed at Blackwater long enough to spend 3 hours on an afternoon trail ride to magnificent June Ridge (in the Shoshone National Forest). The views from there are exhilarating! The guide Sean helped my boyfriend, who had never ridden a horse before, feel good about the trek, too.

We stayed in spacious Pawnee cabin, with a king bed and desk. When you come here, be prepared to unplug. There is no tv, no in-room wifi (though it was available & in the lodge), and no cell service. Also no microwave or fridge, but we adjusted just fine. For all that, I absolutely loved this cabin. Every night I was lulled to sleep by the sound of the rushing creek behind it, and every morning I heard birdsong all around it.

The location is between the east gate of Yellowstone and the town of Cody. For our purposes, this was ideal. The drive through the Wapiti Valley toward Cody is beautiful. And there is so much to see, no matter which direction you go. Buffalo Bill's historic Pahaska Teepee hunting lodge is nearby and offers a restaurant. Honestly, we ate all our breakfasts (delicious!) & most dinners in the lodge at Blackwater---largely because we enjoyed all the staff there so much. I will definitely head back there soon.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
blackwaterranch, Owner at Blackwater Creek Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2016

Thanks for your review and hope to see you back soon!
Diana

Reviewed 6 October 2016

Since it was late in the season, these ladies made our experience special by procuring rides for us last minute. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the area and answered all of our questions perfectly.

Stayed: September 2016
1  Thank Ellen G

Thanks for your review. We hope you come back again soon!
Diana

Reviewed 16 September 2016

I wanted a little cabin in the woods and I got it. I was off the grid during my stay (no cell service) but could enjoy the free wi-fi at the lodge when I needed to. Our first night, Sean came out with a rope and taught my son and husband how to lasso a steer by the camp fire. The weather got cold that night and we had snow the next morning. Johnny and Diane were fabulous, friendly and helpful. Got some great tips for heading into Yellowstone, Johnny brought us an extra heater (freezing temps at night) and even got up in the early AM when our power went off. He got it back running quickly! It all added to the camping atmosphere. My only regret is not staying longer.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Nina H

Thanks for your review! Hope to see you again soon.
Diana & Johnie